05-05-2018 10:50 AM
50 12
tools
    So today while I was at my job (I work maintenance), I had my s8 in my pocket, and the thing is I have shallow pockets so the phone fell out of my pants while I was working about 2.5-3 feet high face first. When I picked it up there was a decent crack on the left edge screen, which I was pretty annoyed about because falling 2-3 feet and breaking is pretty mediocre in my opinion. But what made it worse is when I picked up the phone and started using it the screen is literally bugging out, constantly flickering making it near impossible to see, and mind you this is the first time I have dropped the phone since I have had it for a month. I doubt you all are as unlucky as I am, but have any of you dropped your phone, and if so how has it fared because in reading tests online the s8 isn't too strong against falls.
    05-25-2017 05:43 PM
    Seems the phone is flimsy. I received mine with a cracked rear glass. I called Samsung a day after i received it. They told me to pack it up and return it, which i did. I was told i would get credit back and then to order another one. 20 days later i get the phone back, same condition. After several calls and emails to Samsung, they are still to resolve the situation. I have a cracked phone and Samsung has not credited me or given me a replacement. You would think such a large company would stand behind their products. They should offer free replacement or repairs for their equipment. Needless to say, im very disappointed. Good luck with yours!
    Norg likes this.
    05-25-2017 05:59 PM
    Yep. Seems like the amoled screens can't survive cracks. I dropped my s7 a few months ago and had a small crack on the edge of the screen. The whole thing just went crazy. Flickering, random screen touches until it finally turned green lol
    05-25-2017 08:12 PM
    Good thing is you have insurance right?
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    05-25-2017 08:37 PM
    Yep. Seems like the amoled screens can't survive cracks. I dropped my s7 a few months ago and had a small crack on the edge of the screen. The whole thing just went crazy. Flickering, random screen touches until it finally turned green lol
    Nothing to do with AMOLED, everything having to do with where you dropped it.
    05-25-2017 09:50 PM
    My s7 edge fell from my pocket, while I was sitting in a chair, and cracked on the back side. The earlier crack on the front bottom right corner didn't have any effect on it functioning though. I got a Samsung flip cover case with my s8, but I'm a little concerned about it, because the only tinge it's taken a fall (onto a towel luckily) the cover flipped open and it landed screen down, with no bumper keeping the screen from being damaged (other than the towel).
    05-25-2017 09:51 PM
    Only downfall with glass devices I prefer a metal body.
    05-25-2017 10:17 PM
    Nothing to do with AMOLED, everything having to do with where you dropped it.
    From my experience selling phones I think AMOLED is more likely to quit responding to touch and freak out after breaking. The iphones and HTC usually kept working even with shattered glass, while many of the Samsungs wouldn't. Might be a coincidence, might just be the way it's assembled, I don't know.
    05-25-2017 10:33 PM
    Only downfall with glass devices I prefer a metal body.
    I prefer a plastic/polycarbonate, or the Kevlar fibers Motorola used to use. Metal bends, dents, and scratches while glass scratches and shatters.

And OP unfortunately these things are fragile, hard to make something out of almost entirely glass and make it durable.
    05-25-2017 10:34 PM
    I prefer a plastic/polycarbonate, or the Kevlar fibers Motorola used to use. Metal bends, dents, and scratches while glass scratches and shatters.

And OP unfortunately these things are fragile, hard to make something out of almost entirely glass and make it durable.
    Although i agree with what you say there's 1 thing to know about curved screen such as with the s7e and the s8/+ curving it compromises it's integrity and makes it more fragile and prone to breaking i dropped 1 android phone in my entire life (note 2) from about waist height and it even bounced and keep in mind that was with gorilla glass 1 or 2 but i had no scratches no breaking nothing i do get that we paid alot for the s8 but curving it makes it alot more fragile so although i hate saying this if you do alot of outdoors things / work in hard environnement (contruction or similar things) get a flat screened phone it's most likely gonna hold up much better in terms of durability.
    05-26-2017 11:31 AM
    "HaHa" *Nelson Voice
    05-26-2017 11:48 AM
    "HaHa" *Nelson Voice
    Why am I laughing so hard at this? Lol
    ZayMoney likes this.
    05-26-2017 06:10 PM
    Oh man, I feel your pain. Broke my PRIV screen TWICE. Bah. Wrapped my S8+ in a case the day I bought and it's never leaving it!
    05-26-2017 07:38 PM
    From my experience selling phones I think AMOLED is more likely to quit responding to touch and freak out after breaking. The iphones and HTC usually kept working even with shattered glass, while many of the Samsungs wouldn't. Might be a coincidence, might just be the way it's assembled, I don't know.
    It really depends where you drop it. If it's anywhere near the display connector that's why it freaks out. It has nothing to do with the type of display. I used to work at ATT and I saw plenty of iPhones, LGs, and other brands that were dropped and had issues with the display.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    05-26-2017 08:15 PM
    Shocked.

First time I read a user used this. LOL

Usually it's the "sorry to hear," "you should've got a case."
    ZayMoney likes this.
    05-26-2017 08:30 PM
    Shocked.

First time I read a user used this. LOL

Usually it's the "sorry to hear," "you should've got a case."
    Also because I'm a total goober and I know where this comes from. Lol
    ZayMoney likes this.
    05-26-2017 09:31 PM
    Mine dropped from about 4 feet today. It bounced twice in it's Otterbox Commuter but no damage to the phone.
    05-26-2017 10:57 PM
    idk but i laughed as i was typing it. lol
    05-27-2017 10:31 AM
    It really depends where you drop it. If it's anywhere near the display connector that's why it freaks out. It has nothing to do with the type of display. I used to work at ATT and I saw plenty of iPhones, LGs, and other brands that were dropped and had issues with the display.
    Where is the display connector? Mine got cracked on the left edge side near the center of the phone
    05-27-2017 12:25 PM
    Where is the display connector? Mine got cracked on the left edge side near the center of the phone
    Not sure where it is, but if the display does that it's because the connector is damaged.
    05-27-2017 05:06 PM
    My S8+ was broken on the right lower edge screen and run cracked U shaped on the middle screen. ****ed up!
    Dropped it in less than a foot. Really disappointed!
    06-26-2017 10:13 AM
    glass phones have always been more fragile ... thankfully I haven't broken any yet ... but then again I am careful
    06-26-2017 06:01 PM
    Getting an Otterbox Commuter case for my S8+. Always had good luck with this case. Dropped my S7 Edge off a one story balcony onto concrete and never had a scratch.
    06-26-2017 06:58 PM
    The price and high maintenance cost we pay for beauty. Y'all asked for a beautiful glass phone, y'all get one. I always go phones with a military grade spec, the V20 and G6 has been drop tested and certified military grade (surprisingly, the G6 is also all glass but isn't curvy as the S8, therefore less likely to crack). In the past, I've owned the S6 and S7 Active series and they have survived accidental drops.
    06-26-2017 07:02 PM
    Even with a case, screen is still fragile because the edges are exposed. Terrible that there are no other options other than curved screen for the S8, phone costs $850+ and is very fragile...
    06-26-2017 07:08 PM
50 12