Shop Cyber Monday deals at: Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Dell | Samsung

09-10-2019 12:44 PM
123 ... 2345
tools
    Why does my face in pictures look more orange on AMOLED panels? My face isn't that orange in real life.
    4 possibilities:

1) The camera took a poor picture
    2) The display is poorly calibrated or in an inaccurate mode
    3) Both 1 & 2
    4) Due to the lighting, etc. your face may have actually looked like that at the time
    08-14-2017 12:26 PM
    4 possibilities:

1) The camera took a poor picture
    2) The display is poorly calibrated or in an inaccurate mode
    3) Both 1 & 2
    4) Due to the lighting, etc. your face may have actually looked like that at the time
    I see it all the time in a photography FB group I'm in.

"Why do all of my pictures look orange/yellow/etc on my phone, but they looked fine on my computer (some even mention having a calibrated monitor)?"

I'll ask if their phone is a Samsung or other AMOLED device. 9 times out of 10, their answer is yes. AMOLED's may be getting better, but they have traditionally given various tints on their screens. And yes, I have tried several different color modes when I could mess around with one. Still, none would show true white and was less accurate than a LCD.

Heck, I exchanged my first smartphone (Droid Razr) because I thought it was defective with a horrible green AMOLED tint. When I brought it into the store, the clerk first said he didn't see anything wrong. When I showed him a comparison to an LCD phone, he said, "Oh that's normal." I pretty much swore off anything AMOLED that day and forked over the restocking fee to get the Bionic instead.
    08-14-2017 12:57 PM
    Still, none would show true white and was less accurate than a LCD.
    Than which LCD? If you're talking vs an iPhone 7+ or Nexus 5X, you're right. Otherwise, the latest two generations of Samsung flagships are still beating back most LCDs on colors, blacks, grays and white point.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-14-2017 01:42 PM
    Than which LCD? If you're talking vs an iPhone 7+ or Nexus 5X, you're right. Otherwise, the latest two generations of Samsung flagships are still beating back most LCDs on colors, blacks, grays and white point.
    I'm comparing my experience to prior phones, like the S6 I tried in a store and my wife's S7. Whenever I compare whites on them to mine, it's no contest which was more "white," and that's my biggest concern. I compared the LG V20, G4, and HTC One M8 to AMOLED flagships out at their respective times.
    08-14-2017 02:10 PM
    I'm comparing my experience to prior phones, like the S6 I tried in a store and my wife's S7. Whenever I compare whites on them to mine, it's no contest which was more "white," and that's my biggest concern. I compared the LG V20, G4, and HTC One M8 to AMOLED flagships out at their respective times.
    Just as an example from that, the G4 and M8 are both listed on this chart with some of the other phones out at the time of the G4's review:

S8 burn in: it finally happened-whitepoint.png

So the most accurate device of that period, on the sole measurement of white accuracy, was the iPhone 6 (small one), which was nearly perfect (.17% deviation) - but the S6 Edge was only .05% further away from perfect than the iPhone 6. The Note 4 and Nexus 6 also did great despite being AMOLED, while the M8 was 12.5% away from perfect, compared to the Nexus 6 (which was widely talked about as having a horrible display) at 4.5% away from perfect. The G4 was 17.45% away from perfect.

Not to single out only this one measurement though, the G4 does terrible on all metrics for display, not just white point. It's bad at GMB, Saturation Accuracy, Grayscale Accuracy, White Point, etc. It does do okay at max brightness and contrast ratio, for an LCD, obviously something that AMOLED displays are naturally better at.

I think this is one of those cases where some people prefer warmer or cooler displays and it's coloring the perception, pun not intended. A lot of people prefer really terrible displays, but in terms of what is actually most accurate, there really isn't a rule that LCD or LED does better by default. It's all about the calibration.
    08-14-2017 02:29 PM
    I know burn in happens, but rarely. 4 years as a Verizon rep and I only saw it a few times, none of my phones have had the issue and I've used AMOLED displays for 5 years. Even our display units, many of them being powered on 24/7 max screen brightness were fine for 6 plus months, and even then only some developed burn in.

It happens, but I feel people assume it's far more common than it is.
    08-14-2017 02:41 PM
    I know burn in happens, but rarely. 4 years as a Verizon rep and I only saw it a few times, none of my phones have had the issue and I've used AMOLED displays for 5 years. Even our display units, many of them being powered on 24/7 max screen brightness were fine for 6 plus months, and even then only some developed burn in.

It happens, but I feel people assume it's far more common than it is.
    Agreed. There really does need to be an Android moto. Don't assume that your experience is everyone's experience. No two phones are built alike.
    08-14-2017 02:55 PM
    Received mine a week after launch. No burn in at all.
    08-16-2017 01:54 AM
    Just so you know, the S7 screen scored right behind Apple at 1.5 JNCD in basic mode. The default mode however is Adaptive mode which pumps out 6.6 JNCD.

Color temps are also accurate in basic mode. The ideal is 6500k, while the S7 Edge AMOLED, comes it at 6480k, while the iPhone 7 comes in at 6806k. In other words, the OLED on the S7 is capable of showing closer to true white than the iPhone 7 display.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

But anyway, I prefer AMOLED screens because I like black themes and blacks on AMOLED are infinitely better than LCDs.
    08-16-2017 03:22 AM
    best buys geek squad is replacing my screen tomorrow for free due to screen burn
    08-22-2017 04:08 PM
    just got my phone back and it's perfect again and water resistant still as well
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-23-2017 01:54 PM
    Less than a month of usage and my s8 screen has way worse burns than my S6 got in two years. A large portion of the screen is currently covered in burn-ins. Extremely disappointed.
    09-05-2017 02:43 PM
    Here is my s8+
    09-05-2017 03:14 PM
    Really trying to understand where you're getting this. Do you have something you were reading that has all this incorrect information, or is it just based on what Samsung phones traditionally have done out of the box or something else?

To try to make this as brief as possible, there are very few real differences in LCD vs *LED displays. The main difference is how the display is lit. LCDs have a backlight that turns on all pixels all the time while *LED displays turn on only pixels that need to display colors that are not black. LEDs also have the advantage of being able to be individually dimmed or brightened to enhance the accuracy of colors being produced with RGB sub pixels.

But, there are no inherent color differences in the displays. That's all up to the color mode and calibration of the display in each mode. Or, as we go into devices shipping with Android O, the OS will dictate exactly which colors will be displayed through OS level color management. An LCD and LED display that are calibrated exactly the same will display exactly the same colors. One will not be skewed or shifted by the nature of the type of display, aside from any production errors in the panel itself.

Currently the most accurate display on the market is the iPhone 7/7+, which is an LCD. The second and third most accurate are both Samsung devices, the S8/S8+ and the S7/S7 Edge, which are both AMOLED. The only reason the iPhone is winning that battle is because Apple took the time to individually calibrate each display as perfectly as possible.

It is impossible to look at only the type of display and make any correct assumption about which one will have more accurate colors.
    Absolutely correct about the iPhone 7/7+. Also note that iOS has a color management system baked in and Android has none. iPhones 7/7+ handle their P3 color gamet great. I just recently bought a 7+ after years and years of Android (with a few Window phones and BB phones in th mix) from to beginning of Android. The display is th best on any phone that I've owned, used or seen (regarding color accuracy).
    09-05-2017 07:41 PM
    So I finally noticed my S8+ has burn in. I'm so sad. I thought this was a hoax too until I opened up Google and noticed I could faintly see all my home screen icons faintly burned into the white background. I might try to contact Samsung about it but doubt they will do much for me. Sadly, it's much easier to see the burn in when you're looking at in person. It's very difficult to pick up on camera.

S8 burn in: it finally happened-img-20171020-wa0003.jpg
    10-20-2017 11:18 AM
    It's covered under the Samsung warranty. They will repair it. You have to send the phone in though.
    10-24-2017 03:30 PM
    I travel all day for work and use Google map to navigate around my travel area. I am sad to report the burn in is real. I have a image of the static menu items on Google map burned into my screen. Anyone know a fix for this?
    12-19-2017 06:35 PM
    Here is a screen shot of my burn in from maps app. Please know I drive 8 hours a day and had no idea this could happen.
    Attached Thumbnails S8 burn in: it finally happened-screenshot_20171219-173637.jpg  
    12-19-2017 06:40 PM
    Yea it's light right now my concern is if there is no fix, what will happen 3 months from now? I'm trying some of the burn in fix apps. Hope one works
    12-19-2017 10:36 PM
    Here is a screen shot of my burn in from maps app. Please know I drive 8 hours a day and had no idea this could happen.
    We can't see it. You'd have to take a picture with another phone.
    12-19-2017 10:55 PM
    Hahahaha..I'm sorry... this is just too much. I'm not sure why you thought a screen shot was going to show burn in.

Anyways... if you have ANYTHING showing an image for 8 hours a day... you will get burn in. CRT, LCD, OLED. Get used to it.
    12-19-2017 11:51 PM
    Yea yes laugh at the old guy. I really didn't know about this happening. Samsung says they will fix it but I have to live without a phone. Not an option
    12-20-2017 07:36 AM
    Just noticed it on mine. I can clearly see the Google search bar and three of the home page icons. Being sent in for repair after only 4 months.
    S8 burn in: it finally happened-img_20171224_082350664.jpg
    12-24-2017 10:33 AM
    After 20 days i can see a very faint burn in of the home button when looking on a gray image. It's super hard to notice though. I usually have it on 30% bright

i can see some burned in icons
    01-22-2018 11:47 AM
    Jeepers, what do they have on all the time to cause that? Screen not off much? Retail phones can get that, but same stuff all the time and on almost non stop.
    01-22-2018 04:17 PM
123 ... 2345