10-24-2017 03:30 PM
91 123 ...
tools
    Some guy reported it (see pictures). Anyone else worried about this? Do you use yours at max brightness? Wonder how long it'll take until it burns in at the bottom...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.andro...ue-768623/amp/

S8 burn in: it finally happened-aa-imgur-galaxy-s8-burn-1000x563.jpg

Here's how to hide the nav bar for those that are paranoid: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...axy-s8-767021/

EDIT: Here's the original reddit post. It is indeed real! Reddit user: Kougeru

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/co...ottom-comments
    06-12-2017 04:24 PM
    Well that was fast imagine a couple more months
    06-12-2017 04:32 PM
    I don't believe it at all. You'd have to go way out of your way to get burn in and it's much more difficult to do on modern displays than even 2-3 years ago. Also, Samsung specifically engineered their software to be able to be "always on" and not cause burn in ... so my vote is abuse of the device until proven otherwise.
    06-12-2017 04:38 PM
    I don't believe it at all. You'd have to go way out of your way to get burn in and it's much more difficult to do on modern displays than even 2-3 years ago. Also, Samsung specifically engineered their software to be able to be "always on" and not cause burn in ... so my vote is abuse of the device until proven otherwise.
    Wasnt it determined that the navigation button pixel moved ever so slightly to avoid this? I know the home button on the AOD screen does but I thought these did as well.
    06-12-2017 04:42 PM
    I am not worried about it at all. So far mine has no visible signs of burn in at all -- but I also don't keep it static on a screen for long periods of time. 1 minute inactivity lock out and when the screen is on I am reading stuff or watching media.
    06-12-2017 04:42 PM
    Wasnt it determined that the navigation button pixel moved ever so slightly to avoid this? I know the home button on the AOD screen does but I thought these did as well.
    Yes, and so does the clock and stuff on the always on display, etc. I am far from Samsung's biggest fan, but one thing they are amazing at is displays and they very publicly went out of their way to deliver "always on" without this risk. I'm going to amend my vote to "abuse" or "defect". It is possible that some devices are not working properly and this could be a result of that - but in my opinion, what we know about how this works, most devices should be relatively immune to this issue.
    06-12-2017 04:45 PM
    There is also what's called image retention which is only temporary. I saw some on a Verizon wireless store display before they were even available to buy, so the device couldn't have been more than a couple weeks old. I still bought one anyway. I have seen some very faint temporary image retention on my S8, but it goes away. I saw worse on an LG V10 with an LCD screen. It was bad enough on my old V10 that I could see ghost images from apps in other apps. Like running navigation for 20 minutes then using a texting app I could see elements of the navigation app left behind for a few minutes. I haven't seen anything anywhere near that bad in this device yet.
    06-12-2017 04:47 PM
    I am not worried about it at all. So far mine has no visible signs of burn in at all -- but I also don't keep it static on a screen for long periods of time. 1 minute inactivity lock out and when the screen is on I am reading stuff or watching media.
    Same here. Whenever I use Google Maps I get paranoid and just turn off the screen and listen to voice navigation. But I personally had never gotten burn in because I'm very careful and seen what could happen if you left it on too long.
    06-12-2017 04:48 PM
    Might be a store demo phone? We don't know the backstory.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    06-12-2017 04:49 PM
    I'm not worried about this one bit. I typically use mine right around halfway point for brightness sometimes a little more depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going.
    06-12-2017 05:19 PM
    I think this picture is fake. The thing that makes me think this is the picture itself, the main background is off white- a little grey. The background of the navigation bar is a lot whiter than the main background. Why is the picture not taken with the phone off or with a different background? Just someone trying to get attention. If it is burn in then the person left the navigation bar on since they got the phone and never turned the screen off.
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    06-12-2017 07:24 PM
    I think this picture is fake. The thing that makes me think this is the picture itself, the main background is off white- a little grey. The background of the navigation bar is a lot whiter than the main background. Why is the picture not taken with the phone off or with a different background? Just someone trying to get attention. If it is burn in then the person left the navigation bar on since they got the phone and never turned the screen off.
    Either that or a demo unit. Until specifics are mentioned it's hard to gauge. If tons of users reported it I get it.. but one picture? You can find a demo unit that has the screen on a ton with static images and try to get your 15 minutes of fame online with a picture.
    06-12-2017 09:01 PM
    There's no indication that's a consumer device. Theres no links to where that picture came from, nothing. I'd wager that's a store demo, which is on 24/7 and experiences more screen on time per day than any consumer device ever will.
    06-12-2017 09:03 PM
    LOL.. that is not what burn in looks like! The bar that is the background of the buttons is clearly marked... yet the "bar" is either black...or on the home screen it doesn't even show up. So in effect, the black bar backdrop should be the least damaged pixels. Taking that, then we can only assume the difference in "whiteness" in the photo above is because the entire upper portion of the display is damaged.. which wouldn't happen either unless you are keeping the phone on some screen for hours..days on end. So either the photo is totaly faked or its a phone that someone has been using to play "something" (backdrop bar is black in apps so an app was running) for literally hours a day.
    06-12-2017 09:04 PM
    Real Reddit user experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/co...ottom-comments
    06-12-2017 09:09 PM
    LOL.. that is not what burn in looks like! The bar that is the background of the buttons is clearly marked... yet the "bar" is either black...or on the home screen it doesn't even show up. So in effect, the black bar backdrop should be the least damaged pixels. Taking that, then we can only assume the difference in "whiteness" in the photo above is because the entire upper portion of the display is damaged.. which wouldn't happen either unless you are keeping the phone on some screen for hours..days on end. So either the photo is totaly faked or its a phone that someone has been using to play "something" (backdrop bar is black in apps so an app was running) for literally hours a day.
    You can change the color of the background bar and even though mines set to black, when the keyboard comes up mine changes to white.
    06-12-2017 09:10 PM
    Not sure how ANYONE can use phone with max brightness all day. Outside in daylight and sun? Sure. Indoors? I tested it. Serious eye strain after just a few seconds.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    06-12-2017 09:20 PM
    1 week of ownership? If it's true I say bad device.
    06-12-2017 09:21 PM
    1 week of ownership? If it's true I say bad device.
    If you read some other posts below, a small few also experienced the same thing. True, maybe it was a bad batch.
    06-12-2017 09:23 PM
    If you read some other posts below, a small few also experienced the same thing. True, maybe it was a bad batch.
    So they say... I definitely find it odd some with barley any ownership see it yet people who have had it since day 1 haven't seen it.. very odd.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-12-2017 09:25 PM
    Not sure how ANYONE can use phone with max brightness all day. Outside in daylight and sun? Sure. Indoors? I tested it. Serious eye strain after just a few seconds.
    Some folks work outdoors. Outside all day.
    06-12-2017 09:31 PM
    So they say... I definitely find it odd some with barley any ownership see it yet people who have had it since day 1 haven't seen it.. very odd.
    But we can't say we shouldn't be worried. It might happen.
    06-12-2017 09:33 PM
    My friends S7 has a permanent pink keyboard burnt in. Took 6 months to happen. He bought the S7 due to the note issues. He said he's never had burn in on any note he's ever had

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-12-2017 09:43 PM
    But we can't say we shouldn't be worried. It might happen.
    Eh till I see true evidence.. versus a random Reddit post with no real proof of what device is what.. I ain't worried. I've had many AMOLED devices and haven't had that issue.
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    06-12-2017 09:53 PM
    That's not burn in. When you choose the white navigation bar background it's slightly a different shade white than the screen background.
    kevinpleasants and oneformula like this.
    06-12-2017 09:54 PM
91 123 ...