Galaxy s8 sales

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No surprises here. My brother works at a mobile store in nyc and he says the S8 is the most returned or exchanged device. He said they hate to sell them because they are headaches due to the high return rate. Either they come back cracked or the customer finds them difficult to use.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No surprises here. My brother works at a mobile store in nyc and he says the S8 is the most returned or exchanged device. He said they hate to sell them because they are headaches due to the high return rate. Either they come back cracked or the customer finds them difficult to use.

As long as I'm enjoying my S8, I couldn't care any less

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've tried the S8+ several times since release and have returned it each time. And if I'm being honest, the No.1 reason I end up hating the thing is because of that goddamn Bixby button. It's very easy to tell somebody, "You'll get used to it," but I accidentally press that f*****g button several times per day, activating it's annoying chime/splash screen. Oh and let's talk about the "Bixby Vision" camera prompt too, shall we? The one that seems to never go away? Bixby is a seeping wound and has me longing for the days when Samsung only ruined my phone with a flammable battery. :mad: For all the "faults" I may find with my iPhone 7 Plus, one thing it doesn't do is harass the living hell out of me like a fishwife.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Funny. I've only had my phone for a couple days, but I've never accidentally hit the Bixby button. Nor have I hit it on purpose. I suppose I should press it just to see if it works.

I agree it is annoying to have the product pushed so hard. Every phone has at least a few annoying aspects. I suppose it is easier to stick with annoyances you have gotten used to than to accept entirely new ones.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I use Package Disabled Pro to disable everything related to Bixby. My Bixby button doesn't do anything whether you push it or not.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That's very true. Good point. We shall see what happens this holiday season, into next year of course.

Yup, most loyalists won't budge from any ecosystem no matter how locked down it is unfortunately. Sad, but true.
Samsung gave me a free galaxy s8 so I am glad to put my ip7 in the drawer and give the s8 a shot, I had android before apple so I have apps and stuff I paid for already. Then again I didn't pay a dime so....

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the S8+ several times since release and have returned it each time. And if I'm being honest, the No.1 reason I end up hating the thing is because of that goddamn Bixby button. It's very easy to tell somebody, "You'll get used to it," but I accidentally press that f*****g button several times per day, activating it's annoying chime/splash screen. Oh and let's talk about the "Bixby Vision" camera prompt too, shall we? The one that seems to never go away? Bixby is a seeping wound and has me longing for the days when Samsung only ruined my phone with a flammable battery. :mad: For all the "faults" I may find with my iPhone 7 Plus, one thing it doesn't do is harass the living hell out of me like a fishwife.

I understand what you're saying, however with BK Package Disable, I just disabled the whole damn thing!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use Package Disabled Pro to disable everything related to Bixby. My Bixby button doesn't do anything whether you push it or not.

Touche, That's exactly what I did withing a couple hours of buying my S8! I did accidentally hit the stupid Bixby button which is frustrating as all hell! With most Galaxy apps disabled, and Bixby disabled, the User experience is very beautiful!

jratliff

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Can't you remap the Bixby button too? I wish phones had more hard buttons, I'd love being able to have more customizable direct shortcuts from a couple hard buttons, then could trigger Tasker tasks from my pocket. Like others said just disable it if that's your only problem.

I'm still using the Note 7 with no issues and only skipped the S8+ because I wanted to wait for the Note 8.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Touche, That's exactly what I did withing a couple hours of buying my S8! I did accidentally hit the stupid Bixby button which is frustrating as all hell! With most Galaxy apps disabled, and Bixby disabled, the User experience is very beautiful!

I get that, I really do, especially since I've used package disablers with previous Android phones. But Joe Blow consumer - the ones not buying and the ones returning the S8/S8+ - are not going to bother with that. And they shouldn't have to, quite frankly. I really don't know what Samsung was thinking. Just stick to hardware.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still have yet to hit the Bixby button except for maybe one time when I was still learning how to hold the phone :p.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I still have yet to hit the Bixby button except for maybe one time when I was still learning how to hold the phone :p.
Me too. I guess it must have to do with the way one holds the phone. I've never hit it without meaning to hit it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Can't you remap the Bixby button too? I wish phones had more hard buttons, I'd love being able to have more customizable direct shortcuts from a couple hard buttons, then could trigger Tasker tasks from my pocket. Like others said just disable it if that's your only problem.

I'm still using the Note 7 with no issues and only skipped the S8+ because I wanted to wait for the Note 8.

When the S8's first launched users were able to remap the Bixby button to whatever they wanted it to be. However, within a couple of weeks of the S8's launch, Samsung released a stupid maintenance patch disabled that OS feature completely unfortunately. I agree that certain hardware buttons are nice but the only thing you can do with the Bixby button is Disable it, and that's that.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I get that, I really do, especially since I've used package disablers with previous Android phones. But Joe Blow consumer - the ones not buying and the ones returning the S8/S8+ - are not going to bother with that. And they shouldn't have to, quite frankly. I really don't know what Samsung was thinking. Just stick to hardware.

That's also very true unfortunately. The average(non-techie) consumer doesn't give a crap about that and just finds it annoying/frustrating. It's unfortunate that Samsung did carte a hardware button for it's sole purpose of their miniscule attempt at a virtual assistant. I never even bothered to use Bixby whatsoever.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Even before i disabled the Bixby button, I really tried soo hard NOT to accidentally hit the button. How you normally/comfortably hold/use the phone, it's almost impossible NOT to hit the button. Samsung obviously, knew exactly what they were doing when they placed the physical button in the at specific location, That's for sure!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even before i disabled the Bixby button, I really tried soo hard NOT to accidentally hit the button. How you normally/comfortably hold/use the phone, it's almost impossible NOT to hit the button. Samsung obviously, knew exactly what they were doing when they placed the physical button in the at specific location, That's for sure!

Actually it isn't impossible for me. Maybe the way you hold it -- but for me I naturally don't hit it. If I had to make a conscious effort to always avoid or if I hit it accidentally all the time I would try and get ride of it in some way (such as Package Disabler) but since I don't .. I just ignore/forget it is there.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually it isn't impossible for me. Maybe the way you hold it -- but for me I naturally don't hit it. If I had to make a conscious effort to always avoid or if I hit it accidentally all the time I would try and get ride of it in some way (such as Package Disabler) but since I don't .. I just ignore/forget it is there.

Yeah I hear ya. I mean i suppose there is some way to consciously not hit the button. It just makes holding the phone to me more awkward. The package disabler app is awesome though. NO questions about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa