Galaxy s8 sales

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I occasionally hit the bixby button by mistake, especially when switching the screen off. No big deal through, I press the home button and bixby goes away...problem solved.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If I'm reading this right, Android has 61.7% of market share in US where IOS has 36.5%. That's a pretty significant lead for Android. With so many choices on the Android side it would be hard for one phone to dominate with all factors considered. Unless I'm misunderstanding this article.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If anything, Samsung may be a victim of their own success. The S7 / S7 Edge were wildly popular phones, and have held up amazingly well. I'd guess many S7 owners didn't feel the need to upgrade this year.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If anything, Samsung may be a victim of their own success. The S7 / S7 Edge were wildly popular phones, and have held up amazingly well. I'd guess many S7 owners didn't feel the need to upgrade this year.

Good Point. You're right, most consumers still have their S7/S7 Edges and their phones are working just fine for now. The true test would be during the holiday season, especially with the Pixel 2 phones, and the iPhone 8 out later this year. Only time will tell.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm one that had to upgrade from the s7edge. Great phone but the battery life and screen real estate on this s8 plus is too good to pass up. Other than the kinda weird fps location, this phone kills anything out there

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm one that had to upgrade from the s7edge. Great phone but the battery life and screen real estate on this s8 plus is too good to pass up. Other than the kinda weird fps location, this phone kills anything out there

Thank you, Yes thanks exactly my thinking as well! It's simply a fantastic phone. Does everything flawlessly, and as advertised as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
BGR in the past has been an iPhone centric site. The iPhone has a more loyal following in the US but the US Android legions are growing at a faster rate as incremental improvements with the occasional feature upgrade are getting tiresome. In the end, it's about what works best for you. Samsung & Apple are both global players but it appears that Android has a larger global market share.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BGR in the past has been an iPhone centric site. The iPhone has a more loyal following in the US but the US Android legions are growing at a faster rate as incremental improvements with the occasional feature upgrade are getting tiresome. In the end, it's about what works best for you. Samsung & Apple are both global players but it appears that Android has a larger global market share.

I agree completely as to how you just stated everything... Apps are apps at the end of the day, it all depends on what works best for you and which ecosystem you're most invested in.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Weren't they the ones who got in trouble for leaking the iPhone prototype?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Weren't they the ones who got in trouble for leaking the iPhone prototype?

Might have been. In your opinion, which wesite/blog has the most useful or unbiased smartphone/technology news? I usually read Phonearena.com however, they also seem to be very biased towards Apple as well.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
The masses don't understand tech, simple as that. It amazes me how people don't care how trapped they are in one particular company's world.

The Apple execs are ROFLing hard, daily.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The masses don't understand tech, simple as that. It amazes me how people don't care how trapped they are in one particular company's world.

The Apple execs are ROFLing hard, daily.
Ya know, I definitely agree with you...my father and I love technology. He's a retired computer programmer so it does come with the territory. The rest of my family, not so much. they could care less about technology's just as long as it works correctly. Same thing with my GF and her family. It is what it is though. though. .

Yeah, hahaha absolutely. Apple executives are hysterically laughing as we speak!

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Does not suprise me one bit, no matter how much i love my s8+ gotta give it to apple, they're marketing geniuses and imo their biggest advantage is they make their own OS and phones unlike google that's fragmented all over the place (don't get me wrong more choices is better for consumers but it gets a bit chaotic by times with all the choices).I tried the iphone 6 way back and i didn't keep it long before i traded for a note 4 ,and THE biggest thing i've noticed is apple seems to have a smoother touchscreen experience,i could be crazy but i still rather keep my feet unchained if you get what i mean ahah. I don't do alot with my phones but if i wanna do something i like having the option to do it(playing emulators,changing the theme,fonts etc). Overall dosen't matter to me how far behind android may fall i'll still stick with google because i have no use for facetime and imessage or all that closed system crap.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Can't you remap the Bixby button too? I wish phones had more hard buttons, I'd love being able to have more customizable direct shortcuts from a couple hard buttons, then could trigger Tasker tasks from my pocket. Like others said just disable it if that's your only problem.

I'm still using the Note 7 with no issues and only skipped the S8+ because I wanted to wait for the Note 8.

You can still remap the button even after samsung's infamous patch that should've killed that

on another note (no puns intended) but how are you using a note 7 still 0.0 i heard they pretty much killed it with multiple patches to discourage people from using it.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is too preoccupied with beating Apple. It's an unhealthy obsession. It led to an early release of last year's Note, which wasn't ready and the S8 with its fingerprint scanner and eye unlock problems. Neither device was ready for prime time upon release. Samsung wanted to integrate the sensor on the front of the S8 or below the camera lens but they were so terrified about the iPhone getting out first that they scrapped due process. Now, as with the Note, the S8 is suffering for it. Samsung needs to figure out a way to evict Apple from its head where Apple has been living rent free for 10 years. Then perhaps Samsung can produce the device that we all know they're capable of. Samsung, you're never going to outsell Apple. Love it or hate it, iPhone is a cultural phenomenon. Part of pop culture.
Remember the famous phrase, "Is it an iPhone killer?" You'll never hear that famous line used in reference to a Samsung device.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you unfortunately. I mean I love my S8, but wow yes, companies are obsessed a little too much with the competition. Competition is a good thing to a degree, but not the way Samsung and Apple play it out.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Samsung is too preoccupied with beating Apple. It's an unhealthy obsession. It led to an early release of last year's Note, which wasn't ready and the S8 with its fingerprint scanner and eye unlock problems. Neither device was ready for prime time upon release. Samsung wanted to integrate the sensor on the front of the S8 or below the camera lens but they were so terrified about the iPhone getting out first that they scrapped due process. Now, as with the Note, the S8 is suffering for it. Samsung needs to figure out a way to evict Apple from its head where Apple has been living rent free for 10 years. Then perhaps Samsung can produce the device that we all know they're capable of. Samsung, you're never going to outsell Apple. Love it or hate it, iPhone is a cultural phenomenon. Part of pop culture.
Remember the famous phrase, "Is it an iPhone killer?" You'll never hear that famous line used in reference to a Samsung device.

I couldn't disagree more with that! There is nothing wrong with the s8 at all, as an owner of one I don't feel this product has been rushed at all. It has a balance of excellent build quality, great features and it all works really well in my experience. I don't quite understand your reference to eye unlock, there's no issue with that... It works as designed, as that form of technology works...

I don't think they released this to beat apple...I think it has however, renders of the iPhone 8 are hideous.