Which Package Disabler App for S8?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting tired of Bixby notifications popping up to ask me to use Bixby reminders, doesn't seem to be a way to turn that off. I'm also tired of hitting the dumb button and having Bixby on. I would guess I might also gain a little snappiness and battery life by disabling some of the Samsung junk.

SO, with that in mind, there seem to be the two most popular apps in the Play store:

Package Disabler Pro
by Policdeveloper

BK Package Disabler by Waka Software

The first one has more reviews and supposedly offers a 5 day refund. The second one has fewer reviews but still enough (1,756) and high enough to make me think it is not fake. The second one also looks nicer. They both cost the same.

Which one of these are people using, and what has been your experience? Or are you using something else? Thanks.

Last edited:

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
This one.
32a72d15d768437fee99f48335e0ff68.jpg

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
When I get a new device, the first thing I do is disable and uninstall updates on all of those junk apps that I don't use. Does this just accomplish the same thing?

As for Bixby, I went into my notification settings and disabled notifications for Bixby. I don't have a problem with hitting the button now that I'm used to the layout.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
When I get a new device, the first thing I do is disable and uninstall updates on all of those junk apps that I don't use. Does this just accomplish the same thing?

As for Bixby, I went into my notification settings and disabled notifications for Bixby. I don't have a problem with hitting the button now that I'm used to the layout.

These package disabler apps allow you to disable apps that you aren't able to disable within the app manager in settings.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind Samsung has intentionally tried to block these apps from working as they send to before. Because of this, they have had to include an additional app to be downloaded in order to work like before. Don't be alarmed if either one prompts you to download the additional plug in.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just be careful using Package Disabler on apps that don't offer a disable feature Natively, you could cause major issue that can only be reversed by factory reset.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I used package disable pro before but I honestly have not needed it on my AT&T S8 Plus. Phone runs smooth like butter as it is so why mess with it?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question at this late stage, but has anyone used either one of these apps to disable Bixby (or the Bixby button)? That is the biggest thing I'm looking to do with the app at this point.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So I just purchased and installed BK Package Disabler by Waka Software. I disabled a few Samsung (and other) apps that were labeled as Bloatware by BK (Health Service, Group Play, Lookout, Samsung Health) which were things I know I won't use. Bixby was in the category of "System" apps, which BK says to disable only with caution because it could screw up your phone. There were about 6 different Bixby items listed in this category: Global Action, Home, service, Vision, Voice, and dummy. I didn't want to FUBAR the camera app or anything else, so I just disabled Bixby Home. And it worked! Pressing the stupid Bixby button now does n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Ahhhh.

If Bixby actually becomes useful in a future update all I need to do is re-enable it. Very nice app, and $1.49 well spent.

Side note: interestingly it showed Bixby Voice as running. Weird since it is not an activated feature of Bixby as of yet.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is pretty much why anyone is using them in this forum. It's great. I was hitting that danged button at least half the times I picked up the phone.

Maybe a dumb question at this late stage, but has anyone used either one of these apps to disable Bixby (or the Bixby button)? That is the biggest thing I'm looking to do with the app at this point.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think this is kind of a standard warning like those on your car's nav system saying not to look at it while driving. I have disabled lots of system apps for years to no ill effect that I knew about. Just be careful which ones. I have had good luck just trying to see them on 2 different lists when I was worried about a specific one.

So I just purchased and installed BK Package Disabler by Waka Software. I disabled a few Samsung (and other) apps that were labeled as Bloatware by BK (Health Service, Group Play, Lookout, Samsung Health) which were things I know I won't use. Bixby was in the category of "System" apps, which BK says to disable only with caution because it could screw up your phone. There were about 6 different Bixby items listed in this category: Global Action, Home, service, Vision, Voice, and dummy. I didn't want to FUBAR the camera app or anything else, so I just disabled Bixby Home. And it worked! Pressing the stupid Bixby button now does n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Ahhhh.

If Bixby actually becomes useful in a future update all I need to do is re-enable it. Very nice app, and $1.49 well spent.

Side note: interestingly it showed Bixby Voice as running. Weird since it is not an activated feature of Bixby as of yet.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
We need a comprehensive list of what is and isn't safe to disable. I really want to disable Bixby for starters and it seems like it can be done without any side effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984