Not a Good first impression Galaxy S8 Telus Canada

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So.

I upgraded a couple months ago when the S7 was $0.00 from Telus. Well my wife hadn't upgraded yet, and the S8 went to $0.00 on the Canada Day Weekend.
Long story short. She isn't very tech "caring" and was happy to take my S7 to replace her S5 Active. And give me the S8.
So I call up Telus, and they ship me out the S8. It arrived Wednesday. Brand new, out of the box, first startup goes right to the Android System Recovery Menu, with a "No Command" error.
This already leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I reboot and it takes a while and gets to the start up screen, and then starts blasting me with errors; "Google Has Stopped", "Messaging has stopped" and the list goes on.
I rebooted again, and was never able to get back to the start up screen, just kept going to the Android System Recovery.
Now I know, a factory reset would be the first thing to do, but I called Telus as this was a BAD omen. They have since shipped out a replacement. But I figured "what the hell"
And tried a factory reset. Well, did so, rebooted and it was stuck on the Android Galaxy S8 start up screen. Can't turn it off, can't do anything.
It's currently sitting ON in the box. Waiting for the battery to die.
LEMON!
Hope the replacement is not going to encounter similar issues.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Damn! Are you sure it was a new unit? Sad to hear you had issues. Hopefully the replacement comes out OK. The S8 is a great device, but if you're getting the bad ones out of the factory line, then yeah, that's never a good experience.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Damn! Are you sure it was a new unit? Sad to hear you had issues. Hopefully the replacement comes out OK. The S8 is a great device, but if you're getting the bad ones out of the factory line, then yeah, that's never a good experience.

100% brand new, not a refurb, and the replacement due to arrive on Monday is also a new unit.
We shall see what happens on Monday, if I get a repeat of the same problem, I am not messing around with shipping, I will just go to the store and get a new one over the counter.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
**** happens with mass produced anything. Get over it. It's how they respond that matters, and looks like they are sending a new unit. So all good.

It's a great phone, one of the best atm.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Yup, sounds like a case of bad luck and think chances of getting another of the same will be slim to none. It's a bummer but this stuff does happen.

I'm w/Telus as well, other than having issues with an outlet store that is privately owned a few years back, dealing with Telus directly for me has been a good experience. I actually just purchased the S7 Edge (had my reasons for foregoing S8), with the transaction being smooth and painless.

Anyhow, best of luck on your second go as I'm sure it'll be the charm.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Can't say enough good about the S8 plus I have that sucks hope the next one is better because it's a great device.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yup, sounds like a case of bad luck and think chances of getting another of the same will be slim to none. It's a bummer but this stuff does happen.

I'm w/Telus as well, other than having issues with an outlet store that is privately owned a few years back, dealing with Telus directly for me has been a good experience. I actually just purchased the S7 Edge (had my reasons for foregoing S8), with the transaction being smooth and painless.

Anyhow, best of luck on your second go as I'm sure it'll be the charm.

I have had a lot of bad luck with Telus. I do find the worst is their communication.
Being promised Tracking numbers when shipping devices never happens, it's like pulling teeth.
Typically I end up getting the device before I get the email from Canada post.
This time I was persistant with the replacement. After talking to 3 agents including loyalty, and spending a good hour on hold. I was told they had no direct communication with the warehouse. So they couldn't confirm the order was even shipped. The other issues is, since it was loyality that sent the replacement. Their order number which start with ES, don't work on the Telus TRACK your order website. Just says "Your order doesn't exist"
Either way. All is good, finally got a reliable agent that took the time and made the effort and got me a tracking number, and it will be here Monday.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
**** happens with mass produced anything. Get over it. It's how they respond that matters, and looks like they are sending a new unit. So all good.

It's a great phone, one of the best atm.

Get over it? I don't think my post was an angry fury, it was simply an information post letting people know my experience...

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I have had a lot of bad luck with Telus. I do find the worst is their communication.
Being promised Tracking numbers when shipping devices never happens, it's like pulling teeth.
Typically I end up getting the device before I get the email from Canada post.
This time I was persistant with the replacement. After talking to 3 agents including loyalty, and spending a good hour on hold. I was told they had no direct communication with the warehouse. So they couldn't confirm the order was even shipped. The other issues is, since it was loyality that sent the replacement. Their order number which start with ES, don't work on the Telus TRACK your order website. Just says "Your order doesn't exist"
Either way. All is good, finally got a reliable agent that took the time and made the effort and got me a tracking number, and it will be here Monday.

I'll agree communication hasn't been one of their strong points.

And find another downfall is dealing with them over phone vs web store vs outlets, they are all seperate entities which usually doesn't bar well for the customer/user.

Tracking from any company can be hit-n-miss I'm finding, sometimes spot on then upon the next go, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In this day and age, scanning something should provide pretty quick updates but nope, doesn't usually work that way. Guess if we're dependant on user intervention in these instances then that'll always be an issue.