Verizon Galaxy S8 Unlocked Samsung s8 won't do wifi calling

hampsessions

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
I have a new unlocked Samsung s8 and it doesn't have the option for wifi calling under advanced features. I searching the internet I see others have 'flashed' their phone in order to get this feature. I have no idea how to flash a phone or what 'odin' is. If I call Verizon, who I get my service from, can they help or will they help load the necessary software or can someone explain how to do it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this is one of the features that is carrier-dependent and it's up to the carrier you're using to make it available to unlocked devices or not. It's clearly stated in the phone specs and description when you buy, and fairly well documented on reviews and forum posts.

Like you mention, flashing a software ROM from a carrier could help, but it's not without its risks, obviously. IF you have no idea what these rooting tools are or don't feel comfortable following the guides at sites that specialize in rooting/modding, then I would advise you NOT to dabble with that. You might render you device unusable.

You can call Verizon and verify if they support WiFi calling for an unlocked S8 (might need to send a carrier signal/message or config file) or not. If they don't, though, that's about as much help as they'll be. They will not flash your phone or load new software.

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't have it under advance features it used to be under connections until last update but mines on sprint
a29a2be04c87211faf3ede8222c0c6db.jpg

I'm guessing like the s7 it only works on tmobile out of the box.?!

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It's under dialler settings on my EU Unlocked S8. No longer under connection settings.

Dialler - 3 dots - settings.

Screenshot_20170905-121207.jpg

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That will still be carrier-dependent even if they moved it to another setting menu. If the carrier doesn't support WiFi Calling on unlocked devices, the option won't be there.

Of course. The point was there is no need to flash any Fw as per the OP.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Of course. The point was there is no need to flash any Fw as per the OP.

There is if the OP's carrier doesn't support WiFi calling on unlocked devices. Then they'd need to 'flash' the carrier version OS to get the functionality, with the dangers and possible incompatibilities that entails.