Dear android community!

Since yesterday whenever I get a call I get an additional blue pop up with the number details and after the call ends a blue screen popsup. It reads "Free caller ID" and includes adds. See: imgur com/a/OVoqY
    Please note that:

1- I never install apps out of play store
    2- I never install any caller ID App
    3- There is no such Caller ID app in the apps section
    4- when i click the links on the screen it takes me to a website page whosthat.dot.com

Can someone please help me explain what this program is, what it does and how to kill it ;-)

Thanks!!
    09-26-2017 08:33 AM
    It's probably related to some app that you installed or updated (perhaps automatically if your settings is set to it). Try to uninstall any recently installed or updated apps to see if it goes away.
    Zainab Butt likes this.
    09-26-2017 09:10 AM
    Sounds like adware. Some forms can or use to be able to root a device, so next to impossible to remove.

Hackers reveal Android trojan malware that is IMPOSSIBLE to remove | Daily Mail Online

https://androidforums.com/threads/ho...virus.1012887/

I'd run MalwareBytes for start.
    tube517 likes this.
    09-26-2017 11:38 AM
    Thanks Gayle and dpham. Please note that no apps have been installed by myself; so this one is very aggressive

MalwareBytes doesn't register anything, had premium installed already

since I still get this when being called....
    Help me please to kill 'Free Caller ID'-y72ym15.jpg
    09-27-2017 05:15 AM
    I solved it

The peace of ... that put this malware on my phone is the app vivavideo.

Out of nothing (it was already installed for 2 years) it put caller id on my phone.
    I did use the app this weekend for video editing and made internet connection with it. Apparently then all the dark horses break lose. So please erase vivavideo, its dangerous.

I also warned Malwarebytes that they should keep it on there forbidden list, instead of removing it.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...-in-vivavideo/

Cheers and hope this solution serves your needs as well,

Leon
    09-27-2017 06:07 AM
    Thanks for the update. These types of spam are usually tied to apps... Glad that you were able to find the correct one to remove the spam
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    09-27-2017 09:05 AM
    Good job and thanks again for the update. Your discovery may help out someone else suffering the same fate.
    09-27-2017 09:50 AM
    it was taking your contacts, you might have had contacts on an online account
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    09-29-2017 03:51 PM
    Wow thank you so much!! I've been having the same issue. VivaVideo just updated and some "VivaCamera" icon appeared and I didn't think anything of it and have had that called ID since!
    Leonardo2017 and ChillKat like this.
    10-12-2017 09:15 AM
    hi was getting this issue on my moto g4. have stopped it by going to settings, apps, viva video, permissions, and disabled the phone permission. I have contacted the developer as unimpressed by this new "feature" totally unrelated to the core function of the app being added with no notification.
    10-19-2017 03:33 AM
    Well done!!!
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    10-19-2017 07:02 AM
    vivavideo has responded to my contact that they will make the caller id app removable with one click from version 6.07 not entirely happy but progress
    ChillKat likes this.
    10-24-2017 02:36 AM
    Thanks got this. I have binned viva video too after reading. Hope it does the job.
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    10-24-2017 03:47 AM
    Thank you so much for figuring this out. This has happened to me 5 times because of The vivavideo app. Lucky I had a image of my phone where I could reload it but still had no answer to where this caller id popup came from
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    11-02-2017 01:30 AM
    Thank you so much Leon! You are a Hero!!!
    Leonardo2017 likes this.
    11-04-2017 03:48 PM
    thank you! i felt guilty uninstalling Truecaller when VivaVideo was the suspect.

I solved it

The peace of ... that put this malware on my phone is the app vivavideo.

Out of nothing (it was already installed for 2 years) it put caller id on my phone.
    I did use the app this weekend for video editing and made internet connection with it. Apparently then all the dark horses break lose. So please erase vivavideo, its dangerous.

I also warned Malwarebytes that they should keep it on there forbidden list, instead of removing it.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...-in-vivavideo/

Cheers and hope this solution serves your needs as well,

Leon
    01-15-2018 04:46 AM
    Don't think this a permanent solution since the real culprit imo is Google.

My phone is relatively new, not rooted yet, I keep cache clean, got ad blockers for non-rooted phones like ad clear and block-this and yet I have that intrusive pop-up ad after EVERY call !

Easy to ignore and close it....but.... a pop-up ad on a system app??

That's how I solved this issue on my LG V20 running Nougat:

Go to:
    Settings / General / Google Services / Ads / Opt out of Ads Personalization

That did the trick for me ....
    A pop up ad after every call....way to go, Google

My 2 cents
    01-21-2018 11:09 AM
    Ok so I had the same issue with my S8+ and was about to do a master reset, but I found the culprit to be the app "VAULT" I was,able to go in and change a setting to stop it. Not sure how it got turned itself on, but it's off now.
    Sagar Topagi likes this.
    02-12-2018 01:28 PM
    I'm using MI A1 and I was facing same issue. It annoyed me to the level of extreme craziness. Thanks to stxbrowneyes I solved the issue. Mine was related to vault application as well. I am feeling guilty for uninstalling true caller
    03-22-2018 02:42 PM
    Thanks Gayle and dpham. Please note that no apps have been installed by myself; so this one is very aggressive

MalwareBytes doesn't register anything, had premium installed already

since I still get this when being called....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y72ym15.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	269704

Hi,

I usually don't write in any forum, but decided to write this one as it was very annoying. I still haven't figured any which app it is, but managed to resolve the issue.

So there were no app installed for called ID, this notification was a part of some app.
    Here is what i did to solve the this blue screen.

1. Setting -> Apps & notifications. Click on App permissions.
    You'll have the list of permissions each app have. Chose Telephone app and revoke the access for the app which you think will not require the access to Telephone, I had apps like Vault, Myairtel, Paytm etc. So revert the access.

For a safer side check all the accesses the apps use. Don't let your app use the device permissions which are not relevent. For eg: Dont let your Vault app use the Telephone access.

Hope it helps. After a long research i figured this out.
    06-26-2018 08:53 AM
    Ok so I had the same issue with my S8+ and was about to do a master reset, but I found the culprit to be the app "VAULT" I was,able to go in and change a setting to stop it. Not sure how it got turned itself on, but it's off now.

Hi. Any chance you can let me know which setting you changed? Having same problem and can not get it to go away. Thanks
    07-25-2018 04:10 PM