Bluetooth won't auto connect

C LaBelle

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to get my S8+ to automatically reconnect to Bluetooth devices. I first noticed it in my truck, I had an add on Bluetooth adapter hooked to my radio and after initial pairing it wouldn't connect when I would get back in the truck. I figured it was just a cheapo adapter and chalked it up to that. In my wife's car (2013 Explorer with Sync MyFord touch) it does reconnect but only have a LONG time, probably 5 minutes, my wife's iPhone connects in a matter of seconds.

This past weekend I installed a new high end radio in my truck that is equipped with Bluetooth and while there is an auto connect option in the radio (which is enabled) my phone will not automatically connect.

I have also noticed this with my Jambox, every time I turn it on I have to connect manually every time. This is starting to get annoying, any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there any other Bluetooth device nearby that might be competing for the connection (like, for example, a smartwatch)?

Also, any power-saving modes turned on?

C LaBelle

May 7, 2013
Visit site
No power saving modes are on, and as far as other Bluetooth devices, well it depends on where I am. I don't own a smart watch and when I get in my truck there are no other devices around. When I'm in the house and say I turn on my jambox, (my home theater and Samsung TV have Bluetooth) it doesn't try to connect to either of those either. It detects them but doesn't automatically connect to any of them

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed lately that certain devices seem to hold onto the phone's Bluetooth connection for longer than they should. For example, when I recently rented an Altima, I noticed that it would remain connected to my Pixel 2 XL even after I parked at my gym's lot, shut the car off and walked into the gym. It prevented the phone from automatically connecting to my Bluetooth headphones, which I turned on while walking to the gym entrance. I had to go to the Bluetooth menu and manually tap the headphones to connect them. But then I found that if I waited a few minutes until the car's Bluetooth system finally shut down (not sure why it waits so long after turning off the ignition and locking the doors), then my headphones would automatically connect when I turned them on.

So I wonder if something like that might be happening to you. When you get into your truck, open your phone's Settings>Bluetooth​ menu, and see if any device is shown as connected already.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
do you have "Nearby Device Scanning" activated? It's under settings-connections-more. I still have to prompt my phone to connect sometimes. That's fixed with either a reset or manual. An occasional reset and clearing the cache does wonders.
This flaw is about 80% better than it was just a couple years ago, but still a pia.
I can offer no suggestions about your wife's presumably smug attitude when this happens. You could always play that recent Sammy commercial where they mock iPhones.

C LaBelle

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know about the nearby device scanning. I looked and it was turned on however I turned the function off, restarted the phone, turned the function back on and now it's auto connecting! Thank you for the tip! Seems to be working fine now.