Galaxy s8 moisture warning

Praveen05

May 7, 2017
Visit site
So i took my Galaxy s8 to the beach and in to the water for a few photos. I didn't submerge it at all but there were some splashes for the most part just on the screen protector. I now have the warning that moisture has been detected and it prevents me from charging my phone. It momentarily resolved itself a few hours ago but is now back to giving me the warning.
I've read up a bit and tried wiping the port to clean it but it has not changed anything.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
How long has it been? You may just need to wait a bit more.

You should also consider getting a wireless charger to use in case you ever need an immediate charge but can't use wired do to moisture.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Maybe someone here has experience with how long it should take?
I've had it for a couple hours after using with wet hands, so it is quite sensitive.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Beach so that means there are mineral residues in the water. Most likely there are dried residues in the port that is being detected. Kind of how when sea water dries up in a bowl or whatever, it leaves behind mineral salt (that's actually how salt gets to the table). Best bet is to get the port rinsed. But do not put it under the faucet. Get a bowl of fresh water. Distilled is best because distilled means all solutes were removed so the residues should dissolve faster. Dip the end of the phone with the port in there and wiggle the phone a bit to rinse, not full on shake because you know. Do it a few times then let dry and try again. Hopefully after a few attempts all residue is gone.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Beach so that means there are mineral residues in the water. Most likely there are dried residues in the port that is being detected. Kind of how when sea water dries up in a bowl or whatever, it leaves behind mineral salt (that's actually how salt gets to the table). Best bet is to get the port rinsed. But do not put it under the faucet. Get a bowl of fresh water. Distilled is best because distilled means all solutes were removed so the residues should dissolve faster. Dip the end of the phone with the port in there and wiggle the phone a bit to rinse, not full on shake because you know. Do it a few times then let dry and try again. Hopefully after a few attempts all residue is gone.
That's your best bet before more drastic measures.

Praveen05

May 7, 2017
Visit site

Have given this a go! Leaving it to dry over night in some rice. Hoping this gives me results otherwise I'll be taking it in for repair tomorrow. Thanks!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Have given this a go! Leaving it to dry over night in some rice. Hoping this gives me results otherwise I'll be taking it in for repair tomorrow. Thanks!
Well depending on how much residue is in there, one rinsing may not be enough. But you don't realy need to leave it in rice overnight since the phone wasn't full on submerged. When this happened to my S7E, 3hrs in rice was enough after a rinse, since all the liquid we're drying out is just on the outside of the phone.

Karong

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Same thing happened to me after a trip to the beach. Had the error for almost 3 days then it finally went away. I know salt water isnt good for the ports but my sisters iPhone 7 also got wet and it was good to go after a few hours.