How to tell if I am getting VoLTE, WiFi calling etc. On unlocked S8+?
    02-26-2018 07:12 AM
    If you didn't buy your phone from AT&T directly then you don't have those features.
    02-26-2018 08:07 AM
    If you didn't buy your phone from AT&T directly then you don't have those features.
    I read that but I also see others saying otherwise. So back to my question, how can I tell on the phone?
    02-26-2018 09:40 AM
    You can't, but you can walk into an AT&T store and ask if they could please (you're begging - this isn't information generally given to the public, because you have no need to know - either the phone works or it doesn't) check with tech support or engineering to tell if your calls are going VoLTE or 3G. (Not that there's much difference - 3G is still high speed/wide bandwidth. AT&T hasn't used 2G for voice since 2016.)
    02-26-2018 01:05 PM
    Alright, admittedly stupid question... I can use the phone to make calls while using another app to access the the web. Such as being in a call and accessing my calendar or pulling up an internet site at the same time. Is this the same as VoLTE? Using a US unlocked S8+ on Straight Talk mvno.
    02-27-2018 11:11 PM
    How to tell if I am getting VoLTE, WiFi calling etc. On unlocked S8+?
    WiFi calling will be present under the phone's options. It's not enabled by default but has to turned on when needed. To test VoLTE, try calling someone and see if the cell phone signal drops to H+/H/3G. If it drops then VoLTE isn't working, if it does not and stays on LTE then VoLTE is working.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-28-2018 08:03 AM
    WiFi calling will be present under the phone's options. It's not enabled by default but has to turned on when needed. To test VoLTE, try calling someone and see if the cell phone signal drops to H+/H/3G. If it drops then VoLTE isn't working, if it does not and stays on LTE then VoLTE is working.
    Thanks for the explanation. Mine drops to H+ during a call. So now I know I don't have VoLTE on my unlocked S8+.
    02-28-2018 09:38 AM
    Alright, admittedly stupid question... I can use the phone to make calls while using another app to access the the web. Such as being in a call and accessing my calendar or pulling up an internet site at the same time. Is this the same as VoLTE? Using a US unlocked S8+ on Straight Talk mvno.
    When I was on Verizon there was a setting to enable "Advanced Network Features" or something to that effect of which VoLTE was part of. I never saw WiFi calling on Verizon but have that feature now that I am on T-Mo.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-28-2018 04:19 PM
    When I was on Verizon there was a setting to enable "Advanced Network Features" or something to that effect of which VoLTE was part of. I never saw WiFi calling on Verizon but have that feature now that I am on T-Mo.
    Switched my unlocked from Verizon to Straight Talk AT&T sim. Didn't have Wi-Fi calling on Verizon and don't have it on ST. I think it's one of those things that I'd probably miss if I had it, but never had it so oh well. I just completely misunderstood what VoLTE was.
    02-28-2018 05:50 PM
    I started this thread. at this time I understand that with an unlocked phone turning on enhanced LTE (in the settings cellular) on AT&T will enable VoLTE but not WiFi calling. That requires AT&T to enable it. I have decided to get mine from AT&T.
    badcat likes this.
    02-28-2018 06:50 PM
    I started this thread. at this time I understand that with an unlocked phone turning on enhanced LTE (in the settings cellular) on AT&T will enable VoLTE but not WiFi calling. That requires AT&T to enable it. I have decided to get mine from AT&T.
    It's all about getting the phone that has the features you want/need. Sounds like you've nailed down your decision. Awesome.
    badcat likes this.
    02-28-2018 09:03 PM
    If you use a non-AT&T sourced phone on the AT&T network many of those selections are greyed out or not existent. So "Enhanced LTE" is not accessible.
    02-28-2018 10:37 PM
    If you use a non-AT&T sourced phone on the AT&T network many of those selections are greyed out or not existent. So "Enhanced LTE" is not accessible.
    Do you know that from personal experience? I have a BlackBerry PRIV unlocked that was originally AT&T but liquidated as surplus inventory. It dies have enhanced LTE (Android 6.01).
    03-01-2018 11:54 AM
    I was able to get "Enhanced LTE" on an unlocked S8+ on Verizon and can get WiFi calling on T-Mo on the same phone. I don't have any recent experience with AT&T.

When I put in the T-Mo sim the phone told me it would restart to enable carrier specific features and after the reboot I had WiFi calling.

Again, I can't speak to anything AT&T.
    03-01-2018 01:32 PM
    03-01-2018 01:44 PM
    Do you know that from personal experience? I have a BlackBerry PRIV unlocked that was originally AT&T but liquidated as surplus inventory. It dies have enhanced LTE (Android 6.01).
    I am holding an unlocked S8+ on AT&T so, yes, I have personal experience.
    03-01-2018 09:17 PM
    That was very informative. Thanks.
    badcat and pankaj981 like this.
    03-01-2018 10:49 PM
    That's how it worked for me. Just one reboot. Thanks for posting that.
    03-03-2018 07:15 AM
    That's how it worked for me. Just one reboot. Thanks for posting that.
    Yeah that's how iPhones have worked so far (minus installing all the carrier bloatware apps). Its a good approach, hopefully other manufacturers follow suit. Also carriers need to work with Samsung and enable all their network specific features (VoLTE, VVM, WiFi calling, etc.) like most carriers across the globe.
    03-03-2018 04:18 PM
    Yeah that's how iPhones have worked so far (minus installing all the carrier bloatware apps). Its a good approach, hopefully other manufacturers follow suit. Also carriers need to work with Samsung and enable all their network specific features (VoLTE, VVM, WiFi calling, etc.) like most carriers across the globe.
    I didn't get any bloatware thankfully, just WiFi calling.
    03-03-2018 04:51 PM
    I didn't get any bloatware thankfully, just WiFi calling.
    I saw some carrier specific apps would be installed by default (on the link I posted) but like you, I didn't experience any new apps being installed by default.
    03-03-2018 04:54 PM
    I saw some carrier specific apps would be installed by default (on the link I posted) but like you, I didn't experience any new apps being installed by default.
    For me no bloatware is one of the reasons to go unlocked in the first place. I would have not been pleased to find a bunch of junk installed!

I might not have even noticed WiFi calling except that I got a notification about setting it up.
    03-04-2018 10:48 AM