My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Of all the things an Android smartphone should be able to do, excellent phone call and text message management is one of them.
Removing the ability to identify a caller or text message without having to look at the screen is a huge TAKEAWAY and should be seen as a debilitating bug.
For people driving in their cars to have to look at their phone when they receive a text, this can be a disaster in the making. For those of us with multiple priorities, the inability to determine who is calling without looking at the screen is, again, a major inconvenience and reduces our productivity. Please consider adding your voice to this issue to empower those "decision makers" who broke it to put it back the way it was.

I was with you right up until you mentioned driving. If a text comes in, it will be there when you're safely parked.

Ed Parr

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Oreo update and found this problem with Samsung Messages app... My solution? I've replaced it with the Google Messages app. Problem solved.

DanielleK82

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Exactly. I use my phone for personal AND business. I'm a travel agent. Once my clients are ready to for their trip I provide my cell phone for emergencies while they are en route to or at their destinations. I assign them their own tones so I know it's a business text I need to look at and respond to immediately. Smh Samsung. "You're killing me, Smalls!"

I was with you right up until you mentioned driving. If a text comes in, it will be there when you're safely parked.

I use OK Google to have it read the text to me and I can speak my reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carmelita Shabazz

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
I don't think it's right that they remove the option to set each contact it's separate notification. Especially when it came with the phone, and we shouldn't have to download a 3rd party to get the feature. I don't feel that's right at all.

Thank you

I can't believe you took away the separate contact notifications for your text messages that was the best part of the phone, When I first got my phone fell in love not now liking too much. I started out with the the S4 and went to the S8 now I'm deciding should I go to Apple cause this is ridiculous. Feeling frustrated

Last edited:

Mrbzr

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
I talked to Samsung about this and was told it's all Android not just Samsung.
I can't believe anyone would take away the ability to know who's texting. Especially for crap like emoji, themes, wallpaper etc. Such lame updates to lose such an amazing feature like individual notification sounds.
Main reason I went to Droid.
Totally disgusted.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you....

Do you know if the setting is retained if you delete all messages from the sender or will it revert back to the phone's default sound?

I use to user Verizon Messages + and when you delete it, it deletes the notification. But I am finding this is with most of the 3rd party apps. Please oh please do not make me go back to Apple!

I don't think it's right that they remove the option to set each contact it's separate notification. Especially when it came with the phone, and we shouldn't have to download a 3rd party to get the feature. I don't feel that's right at all.

Thank you

I can't believe you took away the separate contact notifications for your text messages that was the best part of the phone, When I first got my phone fell in love not now liking too much. I started out with the the S4 and went to the S8 now I'm deciding should I go to Apple cause this is ridiculous. Feeling frustrated

I have been reading this forum and I have to say, you may be upset about this, but to me it never actually worked right. If you were using the native messages client from Droid/Samsung you could set custom tones for the text messages of phone numbers only! I get a lot of text alerts from email, fire dept, work, etc, and I liked to have those notifications different and it never worked.

Find a 3rd party app where it did work and come to find that it was taken away from the developer as well. While I can still set them, I lost things such as custom vibrations, etc. This is backwards! For all I love about Droid, I actually had more power with the iPhone iMessage program and this problem drove me back once before. Crazy!

Lynne Dagata

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
They better, i would have just gotten a new phone with my insurance (s7 edge) but i got the s9, i'm so pissed. It's important i don't look at my phone every text. I like knowing who is texting me so i don't have to bother. Grrrr

Tam Tams

Apr 28, 2018
Visit site
i just noticed this today. Was this a phone update when you have to be connected to wifi or app update that updates when ever. So pissed about this update now reading what everyone has said.

Tam Tams

Apr 28, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded the "textra" app and so far its the best one i have found. You can personalize text notification sounds and a whole lot more. You may want to try it.

I down loaded it and I dont see where you can customize the text notification sounds.

ok, i just take that back, i just found it. this does look pretty cool. :) Thanks!!!

Weird tho, when you do into the messages that i have sent already, it only shows their part of the conversation, nothing of what i said is showing.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
only thing is 3rd party apps won't show on my sport gear Smartwatch I hope they fix it
Yeah that's what my sister says. I got her to download the mood and textra apps for sms and she said neither would work on her watch. I do hope they put the option for individual ringtones on the stock app back for you guys.

Dodger2525

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Why did they remove something so simple and useful. I had to turn off all my notifications. I was getting the same sound for my wife's texts and my junk email. So now I only get texts and even that is not as useful as it should be

Invictus1813

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
I updated to Oreo this morning on my GS8, and before the update I had individual notifications tones for each of my contacts whenever I received a text message from them. After the update, all of my messages have switched to the default and there appears to be no option to even add notifications tones now. Has the location moved or something?

I loved this feature as well. Aside from the fact that so many people used it, and that it was a GREAT feature, there is literally little to no logic to removing it. You never take away features once customers have come to expect them. Stupidity at its finest.

Jules_Angel

May 5, 2018
Visit site
I just got my Oreo update and found this problem with Samsung Messages app... My solution? I've replaced it with the Google Messages app. Problem solved.

I have the samsung Galaxy s8+ and I used Zedge for all my text tones, I use Textra now but all my tones i chose are gone! I've gone to my carrier and even they can't find them. Would Google messages be better? I'm furious along with everyone that they took it away too!

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the samsung Galaxy s8+ and I used Zedge for all my text tones, I use Textra now but all my tones i chose are gone! I've gone to my carrier and even they can't find them. Would Google messages be better? I'm furious along with everyone that they took it away too!
Your tones from zedge should still be in the internal storage in the zedge folder.

Patty Lynn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
So do I .. even contemplated going back to iphone (which i dislike even more).. not that any of us want another app but i did download gosms pro (its free).. just so i could get my text tones back. Hope this helps some.

Right.. I hate these updates so much has changed. And unfortunetly I needed that as well as the text tones. Ugh

DMK191613

May 17, 2018
Visit site
I think it sucks MAJOR. Bring it back before I have to update. I really don't want to have to go with another company because they still do offer it!!

Rodz77

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Just had another update today on my Samsung 8 note. Was hoping they would bring back my individual contact tones that they randomly took away thinking that was somehow good idea. And nope, that didn't. I seriously hate android/google/who ever deleted that code and super helpful feature. I hope you wake up with dry eyes. Ugh!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze