Unexpected notification from Secure Folder, phishing attempt?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to ask this in a common Samsung section but unfortunately I have to narrow it down to a specific phone, despite it probably applying to at least 9 of Samsung's phones :-(

I just got a weird notification.
2018-05-30 14.45.05.jpg.
It was allegedly from "Galaxy Apps" and the subject was "Contents hidden", with instructions to "Tap here to enter secure folder".

So that's either a phishing attempt by some app I have installed that is faking it's id to be Galaxy Apps and is after my secure folder login info.

Or alternately, and this is the one that makes least sense ... it's actually from Galaxy Apps and is what? Telling me I have a secure folder (as if I'd forgotten) and inviting me randomly to go take a look in there? It's a very weird thing to have done.

Last edited:

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you put the Galaxy App Store into the security folder?

It's a good idea, but no. I've only got some plain text files in there.

I think having a notification telling me I've got a secure folder, is kinda like 'someone' phoning you up and saying "you've got a safety deposit box at a bank, tell me your secret password and I'll show you what's in there". You'd never imagine the bank ever doing that, what would be the point. The phishing attack is the only thing that makes sense.e

#Weird . I guess I'll wait to see if it happens again.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Move your secure content and see if it happens again. I recall having the same notification when I played with that folder.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I understand your concern to click on the notification like when you click on a link that could give somebody your IP address and if you don't know what the link is exactly taking you.

very odd to say the least, What kind of files did you put inside I would like emulate what you have done and see what comes up on my S8 (Obviously don't tell me exactly what was the files just give me an example like a text file or a picture ETC)

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I see this as well and in my case it is an app that is under Secure Folder, like Gmail, etc, that has updated. Because it is in secure folder it doesn't show you what was updated.

I have a photo editing app I installed from Galaxy Apps in Secure Folder that generates this message. It gets updated quite often.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I should add that I have only received this notification once, and it was the day after my phone had rebooted overnight (which it only ever does when it received a software update). In the secure folder I only have two text files that I put on there from Windows (regular .txt files) containing some important info I might need access to. Dismissing the notification without opening it didn't result in any negative effects. I went and looked in the secure folder from my regular desktop shortcut and all is still good in there. Maybe I'll get this every time I reboot, but luckily that's almost never.

Spunknut

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
I've started getting this but from play store. I'll post pic next time it happens. I have no apps in Samsung secure folder. Did not install from play store. Play store auto updates are off. Samsung phone had secure folder preinstalled.

Interesting that its mentioned another app is trying to access and spy. Downloaded Hangouts to phone from play store, a few months ago. India Indians have a hack thru this app and infected phone. Had to factor reset.

Mark Korn

Jul 25, 2019
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Cannot replicate. Note 9. This must be imbedded by another app. No antivirus software can find anything wrong. It asked me to update the play store in the secured folder, which I stupidly did not paying attention. If anyone finds out more, PLEASE post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy