Note8 vs S9+

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Wait for the Note 9

I am resisting my normal urge to buy the new and shiny to wait and see what the Note 9 offers. The S9+ is so close to the Note 8 that I'm almost expecting something kind of big in the Note 9 like the under display fps. I don't anything too radical will happen like the foldable display. I think they'll release that as it's own device later this year or early next year kind of like when they released the Note Edge.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Please reconsider:

You already are used to a bigger device

Better camera features

Speakers overall sound a tad better due to bigger chamber area for bottom speaker. Well, that was my impression when listening anyway.

I hear ya, valid points, but I didn't like how large the phone was. I've even had phones wider than the Note8, but the Note8 is also quite thick and tall. The S8+ was maybe the absolute max I'd go in size, since I want 100% one-handability. The S9+ felt more to me like the Note8 than the S8+ in the hand.

Turns out I had pretty much 0 use for the telephoto lens on the Note8. It's nice to have and all, but I won't miss it. The main camera created a much more natural depth-of-field background blur anyway. I felt like the secondary camera blurred subject borders too often, rather than just the background.

I also have a tablet and a laptop, so there is no need for a phablet. To be able to fit a 5.8-inch display into a compact, premium phone is the dream. Plus its cheaper than the plus. So, I reckon I'll be quite happy with my choice :)

dmiller1969

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well said. I would never give up my Note8 for a Galaxy S phone but do expect to see the improvements you mention in your post to appear in the Note9 later this year. The processor bump is not a huge difference but it is being hailed as superior for graphics processing in conjunction with the GP used in the S9 & S9+ in addition to the improved battery life and faster processing speeds. What I find the most tempting though are the adjustable aperture on the main camera(s) and stereo speakers. A software update to my Note8 could possibly allow the same stereo sound on this phone but no amount of software can replicate the adjustable aperture on that S9/S9+ camera, which I really love.

Last edited:

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Well said. I would never give up my Note8 for a Galaxy S phone but do expect to see the improvements you mention in your post to appear in the Note9 later this year. The processor bump is not a huge difference but it is being hailed as superior for graphics processing in conjunction with the GP used in the S9 & S9+ in addition to the improved battery life and faster processing speeds. What I find the most tempting though are the adjustable aperture on the main camera(s) and stereo speakers. A software update to my Note8 could possibly allow the same stereo sound on this phone but no amount of software can replicate the adjustable aperture on that S9/S9+ camera, which I really love.

a software update would add a second speaker to the note?

ankydu

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I am still hanging with my galaxy S4 looking for the perfect note device (being note 1 user previously), the note 8 seemed perfect for me with one major issue. Just 64gb of onboard storage. Here in my country all samsung devices come with dual sim support. It's a very useful way to seperate your work and personal life. I was still waiting for the note 8 128gb or 256gb variant to be launched but Samsung never did and now it seems they won't be launching it ever here. For me dual sim and atleast 128gb of storage is a must. But Samsung only gives 2nd hybrid MicroSD /sim slot. So I am again waiting for Note 9 in the hope that according to the current trend it should have atleast 128gb onboard storage. And meanwhile if my s4 dies I will have to go for s9+ only.

nycundrgrnd

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
In the last three years, Samsung has chipped away and finally made the Note line unnecessary. As the newest S9+ sports 6GB RAM and dual cameras PLUS a bigger battery the reasons to pay $200 more for a PEN, A DAMN PEN are pointless. The Note gets you 6 month or more old SoC (as the S series), a SMALLER battery than the Sx+ model, approx $200 MORE in price! There simply is NO reason for the Note, as a discrete line to exist anymore. Simply include the screen digitizer and make the Pen an optional purchase. It's sad though. I prefer the squarer shape of the Note over the S line. At one point, the Note shipped with bigger battery and a slightly newer/faster SoC. But now...Samsung wants us to pay $200 for a DAMN PEN!

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My Note 8 bought at the beginning with many incentives will wind up costing me $275.00 after two years on VZ where I've been for almost 18 years. My additional accessories for this phone cost me less than thirty bucks and I've got the fastest, most reliable, smooth running phone with excellent reception and fast data. Why in the world would I want to jump to the S9 options... unless I had money to burn and wanted the latest and greatest? The new phone hoopla appears to be totally out of control. YMMV. Your money, do what you want. Me... I'm keeping it as simple and quality oriented as possible.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
The last 3 Notes ALL sported the EXACT SoC and SMALLER battery. With the occasional and inconsistent bump in camera or RAM. Nothing about the last 3 Notes were truly superior to the S line.

In fact, just a few months later the S series comes out with an updated SoC. Like it is now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty