Note8 vs S9+

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Waiting for Note 9. Note line is the better phone.
I won't say it's the better phone but the Note line has always had more of what's important to ME. I wouldn't ditch the Note's features for better low light photos and slower slow motion but many will and there's, of course, nothing wrong with that. Some will jump to s9+ now and then to the Note 9 in the autumn. I could have gone for one Note 8 now and one s9+ but when I really like something I tend to want two of it. So went with two 8's. I'm sure the Note 9 will get the camera upgrades and by then perhaps they'll have made AR emojis as nice as Apple's Animojis and not the eerily creepiness it appears to be now...for those that care about that.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
In the last three years, Samsung has chipped away and finally made the Note line unnecessary. As the newest S9+ sports 6GB RAM and dual cameras PLUS a bigger battery the reasons to pay $200 more for a PEN, A DAMN PEN are pointless. The Note gets you 6 month or more old SoC (as the S series), a SMALLER battery than the Sx+ model, approx $200 MORE in price! There simply is NO reason for the Note, as a discrete line to exist anymore. Simply include the screen digitizer and make the Pen an optional purchase. It's sad though. I prefer the squarer shape of the Note over the S line. At one point, the Note shipped with bigger battery and a slightly newer/faster SoC. But now...Samsung wants us to pay $200 for a DAMN PEN!

agree, some use the pen in a daily basis to navigate in the phone and can't even type (they handwrite on samsung keyboard) so I guess the $200 are worth it for them

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The main reason why no one should upgrade their Note 8 to S9 is because Note 8 is only 6 mths old! Why do anyone need to upgrade their phone every 6 mths?? lol

nycundrgrnd

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
agree, some use the pen in a daily basis to navigate in the phone and can't even type (they handwrite on samsung keyboard) so I guess the $200 are worth it for them

Don't mistake my disappointment the pen feature is now a $200 upgrade from the S line. I currently own the Note 8. And the S8+ before it and S7E, Note 7, and Note 5, Note 4 and 3 too. So I totally understand the interest of the pen. However, on those older Note models, there was a concrete reason to pick a Note over the S line. The pen (and digitizer) were just one part. Now that most Note features have been harvested for the S line, there simply is little justification to maintain a separate Note line. My point being you can get 90% of the Note features for $200 less. So unless the pen is critical to something you do/need, save your money and buy the S+ model.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
The main reason why no one should upgrade their Note 8 to S9 is because Note 8 is only 6 mths old! Why do anyone need to upgrade their phone every 6 mths?? lol

Because everyone has a vice. Some on this forum is that they have an obsession with buying phones. My name is geraldem, and I am a phoneaholic :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't mistake my disappointment the pen feature is now a $200 upgrade from the S line. I currently own the Note 8. And the S8+ before it and S7E, Note 7, and Note 5, Note 4 and 3 too. So I totally understand the interest of the pen. However, on those older Note models, there was a concrete reason to pick a Note over the S line. The pen (and digitizer) were just one part. Now that most Note features have been harvested for the S line, there simply is little justification to maintain a separate Note line. My point being you can get 90% of the Note features for $200 less. So unless the pen is critical to something you do/need, save your money and buy the S+ model.
I'm glad I waited to comment on your previous post. I definitely took it wrong. As a huge Note fan, I agree that it definitely is not the stand out device it once was. If you don't want the pen, get the Plus model of the S series. It would be nice to see them do something to make the Note the workhorse it once was. Either way, I'm still buying as I use the SPen and I think the Note is still the best phone available each year.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are someone who changes phone often, then I don't see the point to get a S9+ if you already have a Note 8.

Of course that said, if you still want the S9+, get it for these reasons:

1) I am a camera geek and love variable apertures
2) I take a lot of night shots and my Note 8 sucks at that
3) I hate the finger print location in my Note 8
4) I WANT THE NEW ANIMOJIS, excuse me, AR EMOJIS!
5) I hate my S Pen and don't use it
6) I just don't like my Note 8

The speakers!

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The note 8 is my first note I had iPhones before I believe this is a very good device if you use the features like dual Messenger,S pen features, and watch alot of movies with this beautiful screen

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Because the Note8 is too big and it freezes. At least mine does, along with several others on this forum.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My original Note 8 did freeze a few times - ended up getting a warranty replacement about a month ago.

I'm glad your new one works fine. I think I remember your participation in that thread about the Note8 freezing. There was someone else who replaced their device and still had that issue. I could get mine replaced too, but I figured I have JOD anyway and the S9/S9+ are the 'latest and greatest' so why not just switch?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
My Note 8 works great. I upgraded from the S7 Edge to the S8 Plus because the small screen and lag was driving me nuts! I had to have a big screen again. I bought the unlocked V20 but hated it. It was butter smooth but didn't like using LCD screen. I got the Note 8 which is really snappy and quick. Spen is nice to have. Now, if the Note suddenly became a $1000 device we find out in late August, then maybe I'll buy the S9 Plus at a lower price when there are deals and the Note 9 come out, but even close to $1000 I'll still probably bite.

I would say the most premium mass produced phone out is the Mate 10 Pro Porsche edition. That thing looks nice but lack of good cases and wifi calling unlocked is a turn off.

My guess is the Note 9 will be very similar to the Note 8 just like the s8 and s9. It seems Samsung like to go in two year intervals between major re-designs. S6 and S7 were similar and s8 and s9 similar. I would expect the Note 10 and S10 to be major re-designs.

You people say the spen cost is too high.

Imagine if Apple starts making an oversized iPhone with OLED display and large screen with a built in Apple pen. They will probably charge $1400 for the freaking thing.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Note 8 is still the best

The only real reason I would say to get it is like if you badly damaged your Note 8 like needed the back glass replaced including the front display and camera as well, or had water damage or something that will run $300 or more bucks. Then I'd say just go out and buy a new phone. For what the Note still goes far I wouldn't buy it with the other one coming out. I'd say get the s9 Plus and skip the Note 9 if you need a phone badly.

Like if I lost my Note 8 or it got badly damaged I ain't spending huge coin to fix a phone almost 7 months old. If I can't find a used one at a good price, yea I would buy the S9 Plus.

But yes the Note 8 still king. Until the Note 9 is out the Note 8 is still Samsung's most premier offering.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My work got the S9+'s today. Nice phone. The fp scanner is better located AND works faster/better than on the Note 8. That is very meaningful to me. ...but there is no S Pen. General snappiness is subjectively the same. Battery life? I'll have to see if I can bring one home for the weekend and play with it.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
yes guys plz compare s9+ battery life with Note 8....I saw it today and played with it...but I dunno y I still find Note 8 more premium....will wait for price drop and buy ...if I really like it will keep the s9+ or will sell it and go back to Note 8...I will make my wife upgrade from s7 edge to s9+

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
While I don't have my Note 8 anymore I'm getting better battery life on the 9 plus. I'm averaging almost 6 hrs of SOT where the Note was barely 4. And my usage is the same. It's been great for me so far.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
While I don't have my Note 8 anymore I'm getting better battery life on the 9 plus. I'm averaging almost 6 hrs of SOT where the Note was barely 4. And my usage is the same. It's been great for me so far.

Thanx bro....I am still confused...Love my Note 8....I have G6 iPhone 6s and now brought Redmi Note 5 pro excellent budget flagship....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89