Totally Disappointed with battery size. Why?

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
The new chips are also 30% more power efficient.

It's just like how the S8 has a smaller battery than the Note 2 or 3 but has a longer rated battery life on tests.

Battery life isn't always about having more mah.

Everything being equal it is always about having more mAh. Lol Even if it's more efficient, putting a bigger battery will undoubtly make it last even longer. Nobody can argue that.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has their own phone needs and wants. With that said, most of us would like a phone that will get us through a day (when purchased AND a year or two later) without having to charge it. In fact, battery life is one of, if not the biggest, consumer complaints.

Obviously, MaH isn't everything, but better long term battery life would be nice.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Everything being equal it is always about having more mAh. Lol Even if it's more efficient, putting a bigger battery will undoubtly make it last even longer. Nobody can argue that.
Except everything isn't equal. They wanted to make a certain thing a certain size.

The battery life will be an improvement over the S8 theoretically, and that's what they went for.

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any smart phone which lasts upwards of 2 days on normal use on a single charge? I usually get 5-6 SOT with Note8. if I am using les than average, it lasts 36-40 hours too.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My Note 8 has the same 3000 mah battery as the S9 and I'm getting 6 hours SOT on average with hard use. Sure I'd like to get better but batteries have come a long way. With Quick Charge this is acceptable. I try to manage my settings to optimize battery life. I do HOPE... my battery lasts for a couple of years as the Sammy President promised.I do miss replaceable batteries!

Misha_Serpentin

Apr 15, 2018
Visit site
I had the s8, and I used it for work. I have to say it is the worst phone ever. Battery was horrible, dying on me at 3 in the afternoon. It also had a screen burn from the clock, and with always on disabled.
After changing to mate 10 pro, I've never been happier. Battery life for working professional people, and they recommend the Samsung for business people, what a f**king joke. It's for morons who barely use it throughout the day, because if you do use it, the s8 & s9 will die on you before the afternoon ends. Samsung is idiotic, what decision-making do they do? Zero improvement from 8-9? They justify small batteries, I mean seriously, this just shows the world why Korea will never succeed; zero innovation, zero improvement over years. Huawei is so much better, can't believe I didn't figure that out sooner. I wouldn't have had zero battery in the afternoon, I hope Samsung dies with it's stupidity.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally it is rare for me to be away from electricity for even an hour, I don't get why people want bigger and heavier phones just to reduce how often they set it down to charge.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why people want bigger and heavier phones just to reduce how often they set it down to charge.

Less wear and tear on the cables and ports in the phones. I also find a hefty weight to make it easier to hold. I hate these wafer thin phones with slippery bodies that feel like I'm going to snap them just trying to keep them from sliding out of my hand.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've never understood the point of having to have a phone that lasts 2 days. Would it be nice, yeah ..but..
This will always fall under the category of never satisfied. If phones start lasting 2 days then it will be why can't they last more than 2 days.
My point is 99% of the time you have a charging source close by. If a phone can get you at least most, if not all the way, through your day then you should be good.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've never understood the point of having to have a phone that lasts 2 days. Would it be nice, yeah ..but..
This will always fall under the category of never satisfied. If phones start lasting 2 days then it will be why can't they last more than 2 days.
My point is 99% of the time you have a charging source close by. If a phone can get you at least most, if not all the way, through your day then you should be good.
Obviously they also want to sell you their power packs. But most people really won't need those.

To the ranter:

They did their market research too, and they found that MORE people care about the looks of the phone, and are put off by the weight, and care less about a bigger battery. It just means you're in the minority.

I'd like a bigger battery too, but it isn't really a deal breaker.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My Note 8 has the same 3000 mah battery as the S9 and I'm getting 6 hours SOT on average with hard use. Sure I'd like to get better but batteries have come a long way. With Quick Charge this is acceptable. I try to manage my settings to optimize battery life. I do HOPE... my battery lasts for a couple of years as the Sammy President promised.I do miss replaceable batteries!
Your note 8 has a 3300mah battery

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I have asked about this - I have the S9 - my FIRST phone without removable batteries- I switched over from the rugged little Galaxy Alpha 850M which has both speakers fire but not as loud as S9 and the clear Wolfson Audio..

I AM getting excellent battery life from S9 compared to most and using the battery maintenance section to put Apps to sleep.

I use the Galaxy S9 like a laptop for business and fun.

HOWEVER I am lobbying for support from Power Users for a ' Galaxy S10 PRO '.

About $120 to $150 higher in price .
Will be VERY similar to regular S10 -

EXCEPT THICKER BODY with the $4000
MAH battery from the Active.

A few people said IF the demand is there - SAMSUNG might actually do it.

Ideally it would have a flat screen for glass protector - BUT in PRACTICE Samsung will probably need to use interchangeable parts as much as possible.

The crazy trend toward super thin phones was very irritating for me - the Alpha had replaceable batteries so no problem-
Also many Reviewers who were pushing the thin phones were the first to complain about battery life ....lol.

Thinner phone = smaller battery = weaker frame more subject to flex [ although Galaxy Alpha was super rugged ].

Sure I was jealous when I would hear women talking about how they ' really want to date guy x and get to know him because he ' has a really stylish , thin phone' ..
BUT I am willing to sacrifice all that notoriety for a 4 K battery AND on a screen no larger [ please ] than standard S9.

Those of you who want a larger phone - fine - you will need a 4400 to 4500 MAH in your PRO VERSION.

So let's see if there's a demand for S10 PRO - someone at Samsung said if the demand is there- they might well do it.

They make the ACTIVE already and probably are doing the S9 Active again .

The Active has a plastic screen protector over the glass- I would prefer to put my own tempered screen over the Glass.
I also like to easily put my phone in my pocket and am an active type person.

The narrow width of the S9 makes it even with a compact case easier to fit in pocket than the old S5 IMO .

So the S10 Pro would be more like the regular S10 - asking for flat glass might be asking too much.

I think the S10 PRO will sell better than the Active anyway

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
That's why you have the option to wait for the S9 Active, which has a huge battery and is optimized to last longer between charges, whether or not you're personally active.

Well..yes but that is usually limited to a few Carriers - although more now than before.
A little tougher to put in pocket.
Has an easy to scratch plastic screen protector pre installed - the worst part .

Although IF there was an S9 Active available already on TMO - I would have probably got that BUT MOSTLY FOR THE 4000 MAH BATTERY - just picked up S9 a week ago.

IDEALLY S9 Active would have a glass screen protector [ replaceable ] from the factory .

4000 MAH Battery is perfect for standard S9 sized screen though.

NOT to last 2 Days - to last a full day with power use say 10 to 12 hours of whatever you need to do on 4GLTE.
Obviously IF you have WIFI you have POWER available so to me 4G LTE is what counts .
Also in one year your battery may be 2800 MAH or 2247.659 MAH lol ...

Last edited:

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturers keep pushing for thinner (and thus, weaker in my opinion) phones, so don't expect huge batteries. On the flip side, I think if a phone came out with a battery that lasts a week between charges, many of these same people would then complain it doesn't last a full month between charges.

Agreed ! Super thin phones are silly .

Remember what *Albert Einstein said :

'No one ever got l__d because they had a super slim stylish phone.'

*Might not have actually been Einstein who said it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana