Because of Tax and double cash back from eBates, buying from Samsung was cheaper

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I was going to buy direct from T-Mobile last night, but got to the checkout page and saw that there was over $60 of taxes because taxes are on the full amount since the credit happens afterwards and isn't fully guaranteed (if you move providers later). I popped over to Samsung and saw that the $300 credit is up front like a discount, so taxes were a good bit less. Then my trusty eBates plug-in popped up and let me know that Samsung was having double cash back today (6%).

I bought through the ebates link to get my cash back. The cash back appears to be on the full transaction value (not sure I understand why), but it is slated to be $68.40. Based on my math, I will end up paying $504 for for my S9+. Even if it gets adjusted to only be based on the actual amount paid, it will be a wash...except for the fact that I don't have to rely on carrier credits over 24 months to get my discount and be locked in for hte next 24 months like a contract.

I got the T-Mobile branded version because I don't want to miss out on the 600mhz band. I am pretty sure that the unlocked version does NOT come with that band. (Edit: It may come with the 600mhz band on unlocked, but just can't find definitive proof). Unlike AT&T, with T-Mobile, I can uninstall everything I want to from my phone. Since the phone will come already paid for, it is real easy to run the Unlock app from T-Mobile and have the phone carrier unlocked without any hassle. Yes, the unlocked version would work fine, but I don't want just fine...I want it to work as best as possible and to have as few support issues as possible.

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I was going to buy direct from T-Mobile last night, but got to the checkout page and saw that there was over $60 of taxes because taxes are on the full amount since the credit happens afterwards and isn't fully guaranteed (if you move providers later). I popped over to Samsung and saw that the $300 credit is up front like a discount, so taxes were a good bit less. Then my trusty eBates plug-in popped up and let me know that Samsung was having double cash back today (6%).

I bought through the ebates link to get my cash back. The cash back appears to be on the full transaction value (not sure I understand why), but it is slated to be $68.40. Based on my math, I will end up paying $504 for for my S9+. Even if it gets adjusted to only be based on the actual amount paid, it will be a wash...except for the fact that I don't have to rely on carrier credits over 24 months to get my discount and be locked in for hte next 24 months like a contract.

I got the T-Mobile branded version because I don't want to miss out on the 600mhz band. I am pretty sure that the unlocked version does NOT come with that band. Unlike AT&T, with T-Mobile, I can uninstall everything I want to from my phone. Since the phone will come already paid for, it is real easy to run the Unlock app from T-Mobile and have the phone carrier unlocked without any hassle. Yes, the unlocked version would work fine, but I don't want just fine...I want it to work as best as possible and to have as few support issues as possible.
Why don't you think it comes with it? All the devices should be the same hardware wise. They usually only change the software.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Trading in my old S7 Edge that is just sitting here next to half a dozen other old phones that I kept "just in case".

I think my eBates rebate will be less than advertised. They appear to currently be calculating my rebate based on the phone plus the $300 value of the trade-in. Samsung did the receipt kind of weird. I'm guessing the rebate will end up around $32, but that will end up where I kind of expected it might at that break-even point with T-Mobile's $360 "rebate" but more taxes.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I had seen a chart comparing bands on the carrier vs unlocked. Can't find it now, and no guarantee that chart is even accurate. It made it look like the T-Mobile version would be the only one to support it since they were the only ones that had that frequency.

Given the fact that I couldn't find anything that proved that the unlocked version from Samsung would have it, I had to resort to fear, uncertainty and doubt. It was easier to get the T-Mobile branded version and know that all the bands I need are in there, and know that I will have as good an experience on T-Mobile as possible. If I were still on AT&T, I would have gone unlocked because I hate some of the bloat that AT&T puts in there.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm more convinced that the Unlocked version has the bands that I would have wanted and is the same as the carrier branded phones in the US:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/Ar9mx/samsung-sm-g965u-galaxy-s9-td-lte-samsung-star-2

The TMobile version and the unlocked version from Samsung are both G965U models. They just have different characters at the end. Unlocked S9+ Coral Blue (SM-G965UZBAXAA). T-Mobile S9+ Coral Blue (SM-G965UZBATMB), AT&T S9+ Coral Blue (SM-G965UZBAATT).

Either way, I don't mind. I had also read somewhere that the Galaxy S6 versions of the phone that were unlocked varient didn't get updates as fast as carrier branded phones (which blows my mind).

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The T-Mobile version of my S8+ has DIGITS capability baked into the phone without having to install any software. If you rely on DIGITS being built-in, you may want the T-Mobile version. You can install DIGITS software, but it isn't the same as running it baked in. I assume the S9 will be done in a similar fashion.

I'm going to stick with my T-Mobile version of the phone. I've been happy with carrier updates I've gotten from T-Mobile on my S8+, so I think I'll be happy with the ones I get for the S9+ as well. I do wish I could silently boot my phone though...sigh.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The T-Mobile version of my S8+ has DIGITS capability baked into the phone without having to install any software. If you rely on DIGITS being built-in, you may want the T-Mobile version. You can install DIGITS software, but it isn't the same as running it baked in. I assume the S9 will be done in a similar fashion.

I'm going to stick with my T-Mobile version of the phone. I've been happy with carrier updates I've gotten from T-Mobile on my S8+, so I think I'll be happy with the ones I get for the S9+ as well. I do wish I could silently boot my phone though...sigh.

Yes, I have Digits and works flawlessly in my Note 8 (and previously in S8). If you rely on Digits, recommend getting the T-Mobile version. Good thing, T-Mobile does not come with any bloatware!

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am not on T-Mobile but have you tried an app called Silent Boot? I used to use it on an old Verizon phone and it got rid of the start up sounds.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't matter. You will still get updates eventually. I don't plan on leaving T-Mobile, but I don't want to lose my credit if I leave before 2 years of credits to give me the $360. I like T-Mobile. I have phones that are no longer with a carrier and they still get updates just fine. Maybe slower, but they show up eventually.

Unlocking it doesn't prevent you from getting updates from T-Mobile. Moving to another carrier may, but the act of unlocking doesn't that I know of.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87