Galaxy S9 SD card benchmarks, where are they?

Irish Mafia

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Can someone please run a benchmark on the Galaxy S9 card reader? The benchmark app I've used is called AndroBench

When I run AndroBench on my Galaxy Note 8 (see YouTube "Note 8 - 4K Video Dropped Frames - SD Card vs. Internal Storage" ), the U3 MicroSD rated for 100 MB/s, only gets 30 MB/s Write speed.

When recording 4K video, you get dropped frames, the SD card just can't keep up. The internal memory on the other hand, has a speedy write speed of 168 MB/s (no dropped frames).

ANDROID CENTRAL! your readers have a right to know! SD readers on (all) phones really stink, and nobody talks about it. PLEASE stop talking about card specs and start talking about phone specs; publish some real world bench marks. SD card testing is meaningless if you don't test it with the device it's installed in.

I don't see this type date published anywhere in the major mobile phone sites. If I'm missing something, please let me know. If people don't start publishing phone reader comparisons, these specs will never improve.

gazuga6176

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
no one is allowed to release benchmarks until the press embargo lifts on Thursday. maybe hit up xeetechcare to do one. encoding on the sd845 should do just fine for 4k though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Can someone please run a benchmark on the Galaxy S9 card reader? The benchmark app I've used is called AndroBench

When I run AndroBench on my Galaxy Note 8 (see YouTube "Note 8 - 4K Video Dropped Frames - SD Card vs. Internal Storage" ), the U3 MicroSD rated for 100 MB/s, only gets 30 MB/s Write speed.

When recording 4K video, you get dropped frames, the SD card just can't keep up. The internal memory on the other hand, has a speedy write speed of 168 MB/s (no dropped frames).

ANDROID CENTRAL! your readers have a right to know! SD readers on (all) phones really stink, and nobody talks about it. PLEASE stop talking about card specs and start talking about phone specs; publish some real world bench marks. SD card testing is meaningless if you don't test it with the device it's installed in.

I don't see this type date published anywhere in the major mobile phone sites. If I'm missing something, please let me know. If people don't start publishing phone reader comparisons, these specs will never improve.
And since this is a tech site and most of us are enthusiasts. We are a small percentage of the users. And even out of us. I think you even in a smaller group who worries about this issue. Because I can tell you. For me. I could care less. I just need some extra space. The speed of that space for me is irrelevant as I'm willing to bet the vast majority of users.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
also, you can always record straight to the phone, then transfer to your sd card.
Many apps, when moved to the SD card, starts to malfunction or cause the phone to malfunction (S8+).

As such, i was forced to move the apps back to the phone's internal memory.

Clearly, i'm only talking about apps which allow moving to the SD card. Many apps don't even allow that.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy S8+ with Samsung 128GB EVO
Internal andvSD card results with Androbench

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180306-173646.jpg
    Screenshot_20180306-173646.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20180306-173441.jpg
    Screenshot_20180306-173441.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 17