Samsung pay

jako607

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a Galaxy S7 Edge, I chose to wait for the GS9 to come out and skip the S8, mainly because I didnt think I'd be able to live with that terrible fingerprint sensor location, and my Edge was running quite nicely. Over the last year, I've strongly considered other phones that have tempted me, such as the Pixel 2XL, Moto Z, HTC U11 or Ultra, etc. But after all the contemplating about features of each phone, I keep going back to one thing....some may think it's the headphone jack that sets the GS9 apart and was my deciding factor, but while this is a huge bonus in my opinion and gives the GS9 a nice boost in the pecking order, it's actually Samsung Pay that continues to set apart this manufacturer from ALL other phones. Why people do not talk about this feature more is baffling to me, because as a technology loving gadget nerd who know all the specs of every phone out there, I've found no greater advantage for a phone than the ability to pay at just about every point of sale system there is (including NFC, magnetic stripe, EMV terminals for chip-based cards). It even worked on my recent vacation to Australia where I didnt want to bring a bulging wallet while at the beach or walking around town. I almost never have to take my wallet out anymore because Samsung Pay, and unlike Google Pay or Apple Pay, I dont have to wonder whether or not a place is going to have a Google Pay terminal. As long as they take credit card, I'm good. The only place it wont work is gas stations where you have to insert the card, but as the owner of an electric car this is not a concern of mine =). It's the most convenient and differentiating feature of a phone I've ever used, and it's what brought me to buy the S9+. That said, I'm pretty upset that Samsung Rewards just had a devaluation, which really pissed me off...it'll take forever now just to get a $20 rewards card. But hey, how many other phone payment methods give you rewards just for using it?! I read and watched over 20 GS9 reviews and only one of them even mentioned Samsung Pay when comparing the GS9 to phones like the Pixel 2 XL. They're all worried about the camera. But I can take great pictures with either of those phones...what I can't do with a Pixel 2 is leave my wallet in my pocket or car and not worry about paying for stuff.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sort of open your phone and swipe up. Then just hit your fingerprint and tap. Same thing. Except it works at so many more places than Google Pay. I just used it at a shoe store. The lady goes on we dont take Samsung Pay. We only accept Apple pay. I just laughed and tapped my phone. Worked just fine. She shocked.

LOL, yeah I'm doing exact same thing. Funny as hell.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Everywhere I go, I dont see a sign that says Samsung pay accepted. So how will I know where I can/cat use it?

As long as there a place to swipe your card it should work. Just activate your Samsung pay and hold the phone near where you would slide the card.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I redeemed points to get $50 off the purchase of my new S9+. Every time I use samsung pay I get points from samsung pay and the rewards through the credit cards I'm using. So double the points. When I first started using SP I wasn't sure what I would use the rewards for but it was nice to have enough points to get $50 off the purchase of my new phone.

I'm making the purchase anyway so to do it via SP and get the points is a bonus. It's free money.

Weld guy

May 10, 2013
Visit site
1st time using Samsung pay, I've used it a handful of times now, has worked perfectly so far and find it very convenient.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Everywhere I go, I dont see a sign that says Samsung pay accepted. So how will I know where I can/cat use it?

That's the beauty of Samsung Pay. You don't need to see a sign or get permission to use it. If you can swipe your card yourself then you can use Samsung Pay. There are even tricks to get it to work at gas station pumps (I haven't had much luck there) if you do some searching.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's the beauty of Samsung Pay. You don't need to see a sign or get permission to use it. If you can swipe your card yourself then you can use Samsung Pay. There are even tricks to get it to work at gas station pumps (I haven't had much luck there) if you do some searching.
I use it at the pump all the time. Works for me nearly every time unless the card reading portion is too far back in the terminal.
Can you use your Samsung pay linked credit card and then pay that balance with your Samsung pay linked debit card triple dipping the same dollar?
Nope, you can't pay your credit card balance through Samsung Pay.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

FYI Samsung pay uses mist technology, so all it needs is the magnetic strip one would normally use to swipe a cc. So even if the pay terminal doesn't accept apple or google pay.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Only place it shouldn't work is where you have to insert the card like at an ATM or gas station pump. For what ever reason I cannot get it to work at a few local Subway sandwich stores but no problems everywhere else I go. I don't recall if it was available on the S8 but I noticed you can now use iris scan to activate Samsung Pay once you bring it up with the S9.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Only place it shouldn't work is where you have to insert the card like at an ATM or gas station pump. For what ever reason I cannot get it to work at a few local Subway sandwich stores but no problems everywhere else I go. I don't recall if it was available on the S8 but I noticed you can now use iris scan to activate Samsung Pay once you bring it up with the S9.
Subway can sometimes be a hassle. I always get it to work but it sometimes takes 2-3 tries. Fortunately for me my bank is bank of America and they use NFC at their terminals. I allows me to make withdrawals using my phone. Very convenient. Saved me once when I forgot my wallet at home and needed cash.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Subway can sometimes be a hassle. I always get it to work but it sometimes takes 2-3 tries. Fortunately for me my bank is bank of America and they use NFC at their terminals. I allows me to make withdrawals using my phone. Very convenient. Saved me once when I forgot my wallet at home and needed cash.
For the Subways here, I just have to wait for the terminal to be ready - it has that Tap n Pay symbol appear on the screen, then I hold the phone for it to go through. Yes sometimes it does still take a few tries though.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. It works everywhere. Apple Pay and Google Pay only work at places that accept it, and Target and Walmart don't accept those forms of payment.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I love Samsung Pay. It works everywhere. Apple Pay and Google Pay only work at places that accept it, and Target and Walmart don't accept those forms of payment.
I get a kick out of going to CVS because they had an originally approved terminal for Google. Then they disable that feature. But my phone works every time and they always comment I wonder why only some people get their phones to work and I explained it to her

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo