Who's running Stock/TouchWiz? Why?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the stock TouchWiz.
Coming from an iPhone, this is my first Android phone and tbh I don't really understand the benefit of Nova Launcher (or any other launcher ftm). It seems that it only affects the homescreen, amirite? Maybe I'm missing something, so please feel free to school me on that, but the stock homescreen does everything I need and it runs super fast and smooth.
I actually like the stock keyboard better than gboard/swiftkey and the cursor control gesture is great. Only wish it had a dark theme...but that's not a big deal anyway.
I also prefer most of the stock Samsung apps over Google's.
Bottom line - for me this phone is really amazing right out of the box!
...and man I don't miss iOS.

It's more on options. There were years ago when customization was a big rage. Alternative launchers let you change the icons, control the phone with gestures, change the grids, remove labels, etc. Basically make the phone your own. It was even possible to make the phone look like a Windows phone.

Here are some looks you could achieve with something like Nova:

story.php

story.php

story.php

page-385

You can take a look at several here

https://androidforums.com/threads/post-your-android-desktop.4425/page-385

A lot also add additional features. For example, Microsoft Launcher is able to push and sync notifications from your phone with the Win10 notification panel. Action Launcher has widget shutters. Nova has several as well that allows you to customize even the notification badges colors and other stuff like Sesame Shortcuts.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I remember using Nova on my Nexus 4 & 5, and customizing my phone with features or actions that I wish were on stock Android. Since then I have had every Galaxy S series phone since the GS5 and slowly but surely Samsung has implemented just about every feature I customized when I used Nova & I haven't felt the need to use anything but TouchWiz/Samsung Experience UI.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
It's more on options. There were years ago when customization was a big rage. Alternative launchers let you change the icons, control the phone with gestures, change the grids, remove labels, etc. Basically make the phone your own. It was even possible to make the phone look like a Windows phone.

A lot also add additional features. For example, Microsoft Launcher is able to push and sync notifications from your phone with the Win10 notification panel. Action Launcher has widget shutters. Nova has several as well that allows you to customize even the notification badges colors and other stuff like Sesame Shortcuts.

Thanks, chanchan05!

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I've used Nova Prime on my phones for the last few years. So far, on this 9plus I'm still on the stock UI and haven't found a reason to put Nova back on as of right now.

Same here, Nova prime made all my other phones much more usuable for me.
However, after upgrading from my s7 to the s9, I'm finally giving stock it fair chance and honestly I'm loving it. I was able to make folders to organize all of my apps and I am digging the way everything looks. I can see needing Nova on other devices still,but the Oreo/Samsung TouchWiz combo is finally something I enjoy using and looking at!
I just gotta get used to the slower animations since on Nova they were much faster ;)

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've used Nova for awhile, and I put it right back on my S9. Smart Switch copied my stock home screen configuration from my S7, but it wasn't complete, and I can't stand wasting the time to set up all of my home screens all over again. Nova backup/restore makes it take like one minute.

I also hated how Google changed the swipe up from the home button to launching Google Assistant instead of Google Now, so I have customized gestures in Nova so that I can easily launch Google Now and some other stuff. I wish I could give TouchWiz another chance so that applying themes isn't such a chore... maybe I will when I have time to set it up the way I prefer.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Still much prefer stock. I'm probably in the minority on these boards but really like Samsungs launcher and they're apps. I have nova launcher and used or a ton years ago but I think samsung had come a long way and their implementation of android works for me. I really enjoy it. Everything kinda clicks now. At least in how I use I device anyway.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Worth adding to my original comment, the theme engine that launched on the S6 and Note 5 was a big part of what pulled me away from using launchers. Slap a good dark theme on that applies to the Samsung apps as well was and is still a big deal to me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Worth adding to my original comment, the theme engine that launched on the S6 and Note 5 was a big part of what pulled me away from using launchers. Slap a good dark theme on that applies to the Samsung apps as well was and is still a big deal to me.
Well the the themes still work while using other launchers.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also sticking with the stock launcher for the time being. Thought about switching, but I've been finding that the latest TW provides all the functionality that I need. I try not to carry around apps that I don't use, and like to have my phone be as lightweight and minimal as possible. So I'll just stick with TW until I need a different launcher.

emilioaponte

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Well since I change to Android Platform(BlackBerry Bold Series before) got three Samsung's Galaxy mobile phones, formers S6, S8+ and current Note 8. In these past years I bought some prime versions launchers but the constant is Nova Prime. I don't have any big regrets regarding stock or Touchwiz, I use Samsung's keyboard, stock e-mail, stock text message. All my Samsung's experience is a good one and maybe someday the icons at the drawer will be bigger ones(for older people like me). So, I like and use both Touchwiz and Nova Prime.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I use Nova for one main reason, I'm addicted to Dynamic badge notifications. TouchWiz doesn't have it and it's a deal-killer for me.