Linking Ringtone and Notification Volumes Together

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
What am I missing here, why can I adjust the ringtone volume with the volume keys, but then I have a make a separate effort to adjust the notification volume after that? Wouldn't it be much simpler and more efficient to be able to link the 2 together and adjust the volume of both at the same time with the volume keys? It seems to me that if I have to turn one volume up or down, I'll have to adjust the other to match

Has anyone found a way to do this? For several years I used to use an app called Settings Extended and it had a very simple option to link the 2 volumes together. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play to well with Oreo or my S9+ (I'm not sure which) and I've had to take it back off.

I've got to be missing something here. This is a very smart group, can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance :)

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of any phone with that type of setting built in.

Personally, I like the ringer volume up all the way, and notifications about half that anyway.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've got to be missing something here. This is a very smart group, can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance :)

May be better in Android P but it's not terribly hard to just tap the drop down and bring up the full volume

panel
e87d17cbdbb1d953d44f81924eee1020.jpg

ba6429efe4d051636d5f224af11f8a0a.jpg

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand that I can do it in android by using the volume key, hitting the down arrow & then adjusting the notifications volume with the slider, but as a software consultant I'm always preaching efficiency and using the multiple picks to adjust the volumes just seems SO inefficient to me lol.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Ringtone and notification volume sync is standard on stock Android and yes unfortunately you can't unlink them without an app (and probably root). This is my first Sammy in years, S9, so I forgot separate volume control is a "feature". Frankly I'm quite surprised Samsung doesn't have a feature to link or unlink these controls. This phone can be customized 9 ways to Sunday but not to link ringtone and notification volumes? Crazy oversight.

Ddrinnan

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi Bermuda_Man,

Since 2008, i've always used android phones with Verizon service. I'm writing to commiserate with you.

All i know is that for at least *some* of that time, i USED to be able to tie the phone & notification volumes together, and now i can't... and i miss it. I never rooted my phones, nor did i ever use an outside app to accomplish syncing them.

I remember that at least for a while, there was a actually a checkbox to turn this feature on/off in the settings for sound/volume. And *if* i remember correctly, you could even have the volumes at different levels, and the volume button would change all the levels proportionately! Turn the volume off though, and they all went off! Sadly, that check box is no longer there. I don't know exactly when it disappeared, but it might be when I upgraded to my Galaxy S10e about 1.5 years ago.

Like you, i was in the computer industry. As a software engineer, one of my goals was always to make both the code, and the user interface, efficient. Such concern is sorely lacking in the field. I remember a programmers' credo about companys' & bosses' way of doing business: "There's never time to do it right the first time, though there's always time to do it over". Unfortunately, "doing it over" usualy only meant fixing the most eggregious bugs.

Anyway. Looks like i'll have to try those apps that were mentioned.

Coyote55

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I've never heard of any phone with that type of setting built in.

Personally, I like the ringer volume up all the way, and notifications about half that anyway.

BlackBerry did this. You could link your ringer volume at high with your notification volume at half and they would go down and up in proportion. There are so many features in BlackBerry that are slowly making their way to Android. Still waiting on a "do not disturb" feature with multiple scheduling/activating rules like BB.