Notification sound and Ringtone locked together

firemcd

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a fully updated Moto G Stylus 2022 (NOT rooted or altered firmware).
No matter what I do in the Sound Options settings my Ringtone will ONLY be what my Notification tone is. It ignores my ringtone selection that is different than the notification tone. Help? Please and Thank You :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify -- are you saying that when you get a conventional phone call, the ringtone you hear is the notification tone (and not the ringtone you selected)? Are these definitely conventional phone calls (i.e., cell calls made to the number associated with your SIM card), or could they be calls using VoIP platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc.?

firemcd

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify -- are you saying that when you get a conventional phone call, the ringtone you hear is the notification tone (and not the ringtone you selected)? Are these definitely conventional phone calls (i.e., cell calls made to the number associated with your SIM card), or could they be calls using VoIP platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc.?
Yes to your first question. Android incoming Carrier calls and Google Voice calls both do the same behavior. I checked all the Phone settings, and all the Google Voice settings and I do not see any settings that allow using the same sound for both ringtone and notification.

Last edited:

firemcd

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I fixed it by going to Settings/Apps/Messages and setting the notification sound from within there; doing the same in Settings/Apps/Phone and Settings/Apps/Voice (Google Voice).
I will update things in this post in 24 hrs to solved if it keeps working. Thank You for encouraging me to poke around.

Reactions: B. Diddy