Battery Saving Tips

GS5TR

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Someone have some great battery saving tricks and tips? Since a week phone is getting hot all the time and battery draining while doing nothing? Phone is like 37.5° all the time. Hope someone can help me out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a short somewhere in the phone or the battery is shot. If you can't diagnose which, bring it to a repair shop - it's definitely not working right.

Battery saving tip: Never charge the battery to over 80%. Never discharge the battery below 40%. (These are not deep-discharge batteries, and fully charging them has been seen to reduce their lives.) Constantly draining a battery down to the last drop can kill a brand new battery in a month.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
In Settings -> Device Maintenance -> Battery what does is show is eating your battery?

Similar to all the phones before this one, my wife charges her s9+ to 100% overnight and have never had a problem with battery life. Same for my Note 8.

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a short somewhere in the phone or the battery is shot. If you can't diagnose which, bring it to a repair shop - it's definitely not working right.

Battery saving tip: Never charge the battery to over 80%. Never discharge the battery below 40%. (These are not deep-discharge batteries, and fully charging them has been seen to reduce their lives.) Constantly draining a battery down to the last drop can kill a brand new battery in a month.

Eh. I do the 80%-30% envelope for charging. I also disabled fast charging and only switch it on for when I've been negligent in paying attention to my charge status and need a quick fill up.
But this partial charging should not be a barrier to occasionally charging to the full 100% for those instances when you know you're going to be out all day and most of the night.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I leave my phone plugged in most of the time. Although my S9 is only 4 months old, I did the same thing with my old S6 and never saw a decrease in battery life.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, been doing the same with my phones for years...plug them in overnight and they sit at 100% (or slightly less) for hours every night. Never had to replace a battery, no battery problems. I don't see any point on babying the batteries in my phones, they've all lasted the life of the phone. Of course, I don't discharge them below about 50%, and getting down to 50% is very rare.

The part that bothers me about the OP's posting is the hot part. That sounds like something has gone wrong with app(s) or with the OS. I would first try a full factory reset to see if that fixes the heating problem. You can also boot the phone into "safe" mode, and run it that way for a while. That eliminates all the apps except the ones that come with the phone. That might tell you if you have an app gone wild or a rogue app.

Deepcuts

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Best tip so far in my case: Disable the freaking Always on display. 1st test, it accounted for 20% of battery, on the lowest brightness.
Screenshot_20180719-013351_Settings.jpg

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I charge to 80% usually since I bought the phone. Sometimes I do a full if I'm not going to be around a charger or my 24500 mAh battery cell packs.
4d5d60aea290070ad34e92d93a441ba0.jpg
3cf1d027f878ccf231404f95a0896f73.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how long you're going to keep your phone. Until it breaks? Then charging to 100% will shorten the battery life. A year? Then it probably won't.

But running it until the battery is dead all the time is different.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Someone have some great battery saving tricks and tips? Since a week phone is getting hot all the time and battery draining while doing nothing? Phone is like 37.5° all the time. Hope someone can help me out.

I disabled apps with package disabler. And i turn off background activity for instagram and everything's fine now.

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I leave my phone plugged in most of the time. Although my S9 is only 4 months old, I did the same thing with my old S6 and never saw a decrease in battery life.

Agree, I had my S6 edge from launch 2 plus years and never had an issue with consistantly charging overnight. Doing the same with my S9+ with awesome battery life. I'm happy with it anyway.

Attachments

• 10677.jpg
    10677.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 62

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Eh. I do the 80%-30% envelope for charging. I also disabled fast charging and only switch it on for when I've been negligent in paying attention to my charge status and need a quick fill up.
But this partial charging should not be a barrier to occasionally charging to the full 100% for those instances when you know you're going to be out all day and most of the night.

I agree with you. it's definitely true that staying in 40-80% range will help battery longevity. but "never" is way to strong a word

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Ok, this is going to have paid apps, but I will guarantee you that you will enjoy these apps and will appreciate it. I would change your whole theme to black, and by doing that download Substratum Theme Engine, and download Swift Black. Try learning how to use it, it's very easy once you know. It'll convert mostly everything black, including Instagram, YouTube, and more. I will guarantee you will love it because everything becomes black, so it'll use less pixels.

Afterwards, download Package Disabler Pro. What that does is force disable things you normally can't in settings, and by disable I mean completely disable. Try disabling things you don't use like Bixby for example. You can disable all Bixby stuff, and that will save you a lot, because Bixby is constantly running in the background. In the app just put on search "Bixby", and disable all which are around 5-15 stuff. Reduce resolution size, and use black wallpapers.

Those things will help a lot

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I charge about 10,000 lithium ion 18650s a day.
There is a reason, chemically, to not charge lithium ion to 100 %on a normal basis, as it will shorten life. Draining it to 0 is also a killer.
Our phones say they are at 100%, but somewhere in the code, the processor will allow only a trickle charge once charged to the engineers spec, which is going to be under 100%of available lithium ions as a safety and reliability practice. The notes on fire was an obvious lesson in this. A lot more battery fires would occur if everyone was actually charging to 100 and then doing intense processor work.
Since most people keep a phone 2 years or so, leaving it on a charger at 100% will not be a noticeable degradation for most people.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually stop charging my phone well before it hits 100% - usually when it's between 80-84%. And if I've forgotten that it's been on the charger, I for sure try to unplug it before it gets to 90%. I also never let it sit on the charger overnight; just in case. Phone batteries are more resilient these days, but you never know.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

What’s the point in having good battery health if you constantly limit yourself only using 40% of it’s capacity?

Just charge and use your phone as is convenient and accept that in 3 years (if you keep it that long) the battery capacity will be down to 80ish percent - which is significantly less hassle and still double what someone keeping it between 40 and 80 all the time gets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89