Blankng the screen while talking on the phone

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone screen used to go blank whenever I lifted it to my ear. It seems around the time of the last update, it stopped doing this and now I'm pushing buttons on the phone with my cheek. I can find no setting anywhere to remedy this. Does anyone have a clue what changed?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My phone screen used to go blank whenever I lifted it to my ear. It seems around the time of the last update, it stopped doing this and now I'm pushing buttons on the phone with my cheek. I can find no setting anywhere to remedy this. Does anyone have a clue what changed?
Hi, have you used a different screen protector or case ?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the proximity sensor is flaking out.

You can try rebooting the phone - to see if that wakes it up again.

Then try safe mode as suggested.

I'm sure there is a diagnostic code to check or sensor check app you could download. Just to see if the sensor is even working.

There is no normal way to check the proximity sensor in Settings, and there's nothing to set.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I finally figured out what caused this. I got a new Alienware laptop and was using their phone app and computer application to sync text messages, etc between the phone and laptop. When connected, it was causing this issue. I've since uninstalled and and use the new Windows app, which works much better (surprisingly) and doesn't cause this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87