Sort by Last Name: methods suggested by previous threads on this forum didn't work for me.

FFFHHH

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
i have just gotten a S3 witht he model number GT-I9305, but I don't see a I9305 forum, so I thought I will post here instead.

So I have seen many threads on the various subforums under S3 on how to sort the contact list by the last name, and they generally suggest me to go to Contact --> Menu --> Settings, where I am supposed to see some options to change the sorting order.

However, when I went to Contact --> Menu --> Settings, there was no options to change the sorting method. The only items I found under settings are: "Only contacts with phones", "Service numbers", Contact sharing settings", and "Online search". Am I doing anything wrong, or is I9300/I9305 different from other S3?

Thanks very much.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
so are you opening contacts first then hitting the menu button there are two options
list by
display contacts by

should be. the rest of the settings you mention are located in the same place on my phone as you list them. is you phone rooted and using something besides a stock software?

FFFHHH

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone a few days ago and the store employees imported the contact list from my old non-smartphone. I did not do anything special to it other than installing some apps such as skype and adobe reader and avast antivirus, etc. So I guess it is still the stock software since I don't see how any of the apps I used could have affect basic system settings. I am not very familiar with the relationship between android OS and stuff added on by individual service providers, but is there any chance that the service provider may be giving me a different stock software than the standard android one?

When I open the menu, I see the following options, in this order: "Delete", "Import/Export", "Merge with Samsung", "Merge with Google", "Accounts", "Speed dial setting", "send email", "send message", "contacts to display", and "settings".

Clicking on "settings" got me the four things I listed in my last post.

The closest one to what you suggested, "contacts to display" just gave me a list of accounts I have and ask me which account's contact would I like to display.

I still cannot find the "list by" or "display contact by" options as you listed.

FFFHHH

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have spoken with the store where I bought the phone from. I was told that there are regional variations in the android OS (such as in my case, where the first language here is not English) that may not include the option to order alphabetically by last name. Just thought I would post this here to all those who may also have the same problem and are completely baffled at all these people insisting that there are ways to change the sorting method: that function does not exist for some countries.

Almac44

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an S4 zoom. It is running 4.2.2. The option exists in the Contacts Settings menu to sort list by Family Name and Display contacts by Given/Family name first. I bought another S4 zoom for my wife but these options are missing from the Contacts Settings. This S4 is also running 4.2.2.
Both were bought in the UK unlocked but the second one was found to be configured for the Chinese market (happily a neighbour reads Chinese so was able to change defaults). The Kernel numbers are different. Anyone any idea why this should be - and what can be done about it?

Almac44

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
A way round is to install another Contacts App that does allow a choice of sorting on Last Name. Pixel Phone Pro seems to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez