Need Help: MacBook Pro & Galaxy Tab 10.1

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
On Engadget's review of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the following was written:

"We'd also like to point out a huge, huge issue with using the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in conjunction with OS X. For whatever reason, Android File Transfer still hasn't been updated to support this slate, which means that you cannot (easily) use your Mac to transfer files onto your device. We have to wonder what Google was thinking when it fundamentally changed how Macs could interface with Android; our Nexus One (Android 2.3) simply pops up as an external drive on the desktop of a MacBook Pro, while Honeycomb devices require a dedicated piece of software that may or may not work. Blech. We're hoping Google updates AFT in the hours ahead; otherwise, you can expect the forums to come alive as Mac owners struggle to make contact with the $500+ slate they just bit on."

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 review -- Engadget

So having a MacBook Pro but hating all iOS products (I refuse to buy an iPhone or iPad; HTC Thunderbolt FTW!!), should I go for the Xoom, HTC Flyer, or the Toshiba tablet instead of the Samsung? I really want the Galaxy tab but if I can't transfer my songs and files onto it, it makes it kind of pointless.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Same boat. Love OS X. iOS not so much. Plan on selling iPad for a honeycomb tablet, and this is mostly likely to be the one, unless it refuses to play nice. I guess I'll have to wait it out before getting one.

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy gives you two weeks to return the device (without a restocking fee, too).
So buy it and take it home. If it plays nice - keep it. If it doesn't - take it back!

Good luck!

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy gives you two weeks to return the device (without a restocking fee, too).
So buy it and take it home. If it plays nice - keep it. If it doesn't - take it back!

Good luck!

o0o nice! thanks! hopefully itll be figured out before next week anyway :)

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It also sounds more like a Google/Honeycomb issue, rather than just Samsung... I would think this will get fixed soon (keyword: think)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer standard USB mass storage, but there are huge benefits to using MTP. The internal storage and device data are now on the same partition, no need for a media scanner service any longer, and it's an industry standard.

Apple does the same thing, except they have their own proprietary system on both portable devices as well as their computers. MTP works out of the box on everything except an Apple product.

Google just has to update the "driver" with new entries for the Tab. Or Apple has to let go and use the standard. My money is on Google updating the driver lol. I would expect it soon.

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
I would say get the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The hardware is much nicer than the Xoom, it's very light in the hand and nice to use.
The current situation with the AFT is temporary I'm sure. They'll fix it sooner or later, whereas you'll have the hardware for years (hopefully!).
I would get the best hardware that's available now. The software will follow and is easily updateable.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would almost suggest using the cloud to store your goodies. Why? Because eventually that is where 90% of your data will be anyway. I am actually enjoying Google music quite a bit (after the painful week long process of uploading my music).

Also, if you plan on syncing music on OSX I highly recommend dropping the $5 and getting double twist airsync. You won't have to upload anything or plug the Tab into your OSX rig. 99% of other files you need you can move over to dropbox. Movies would be the only file types you might have trouble with.

P.S. if you need a dropbox account you can use my referral http://db.tt/kWXWhEB (it gives me 250mb more storage, :D )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty