Getting myself adjusted to the tab

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I got my 10.1 tab on Thursday, and it is a nice device. I'm having a few issues with getting used to it but I'm trying to convince myself that I will get used to it over time.

- Screen brightness/glossy feel: anyone else feel like they are getting a headache after being on their tab for more than an hour? I have been putting my brightness all the way down.

- Screen sensitivity: I feel like I need to press the screen several times for it to register, mostly happens on the corners of the screen.

-Awkwardness of typing: whether its in landscape or portrait, it just feels awkward typing. I got the Thumb keyboard so its a lot better, but it still feels weird.

-Lack of apps: I know more are coming, and I have had the OG Droid and now the Thunderbolt, so I'm no stranger to Android getting apps later because of development, its just annoying that the tablet COULD have so many cool things to do on it, and there doesn't seem to be a time table for when we will get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Google Movies, Xfinity TV app that has the same capabilities as the iPad version.

I'm wondering if the HTC Flyer is a better option. Paying the same amount I did for the Tab for a 7" screen running Gingerbread just feels counter intuitive. However, I really like the Sense UI a lot. If the Flyer was 8.9" I would probably make the switch.

/Rant

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well if an 8.9"display is better suited for you, maybe wait on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. All the other points you make I'm just not seeing – though they do seem like preferences. Give it some time and if you still aren't feeling it, then I suggest returning it and waiting for something you'll enjoy. I really font recommend the Flyer though. Its nice hardwarex but offers very little more than your Thunderbolt.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I got my 10.1 tab on Thursday, and it is a nice device. I'm having a few issues with getting used to it but I'm trying to convince myself that I will get used to it over time.

- Screen brightness/glossy feel: anyone else feel like they are getting a headache after being on their tab for more than an hour? I have been putting my brightness all the way down.

- Screen sensitivity: I feel like I need to press the screen several times for it to register, mostly happens on the corners of the screen.

-Awkwardness of typing: whether its in landscape or portrait, it just feels awkward typing. I got the Thumb keyboard so its a lot better, but it still feels weird.

-Lack of apps: I know more are coming, and I have had the OG Droid and now the Thunderbolt, so I'm no stranger to Android getting apps later because of development, its just annoying that the tablet COULD have so many cool things to do on it, and there doesn't seem to be a time table for when we will get Netflix, Hulu Plus, Google Movies, Xfinity TV app that has the same capabilities as the iPad version.

I'm wondering if the HTC Flyer is a better option. Paying the same amount I did for the Tab for a 7" screen running Gingerbread just feels counter intuitive. However, I really like the Sense UI a lot. If the Flyer was 8.9" I would probably make the switch.

/Rant

It is hard to thumb-type on a 10.1, yes. I am tired of the browser crashing, email attachments not allowed to be downloaded, (It's not just me...google "Unable to download email attachments galaxy 10.1") when I get a file moved to where I want, the computer won't look there and there's no way to change it, and the not-so-often but annoying as all hell, total lockup...grrr

I'm taking my galaxy back in an hour or so and I will give the flyer a look, but I don't believe I need a tablet. I think they're a GREAT idea, but I also think this generation of them just aren't ready for primetime if the owner has access to a full size computer or laptop.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
You may want to take it back and give tablets a look once Ice Cream Sandwhich comes out, assuming the iPad or Flyer doesn't do it for you. I've had mine since Thursday and haven't been able to put it down. No headaches or anything you're reporting, but I have had a few lockups, and have almost dropped it a time or two `cuz it's a lil' slippery ;). I use mine mostly in my bedroom when I'm away from my PC to browse the web, read email, etc, or when I'm sitting on the couch and see something on TV to look up real quick, and I wanted something bigger than my Evo. But it took me a while to convince myself to buy one. It's definitly not a "need", but more of a "want". I didn't want another laptop or a netbook. This fits that in between space for me.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You may want to take it back and give tablets a look once Ice Cream Sandwhich comes out, assuming the iPad or Flyer doesn't do it for you. I've had mine since Thursday and haven't been able to put it down. No headaches or anything you're reporting, but I have had a few lockups, and have almost dropped it a time or two `cuz it's a lil' slippery ;). I use mine mostly in my bedroom when I'm away from my PC to browse the web, read email, etc, or when I'm sitting on the couch and see something on TV to look up real quick, and I wanted something bigger than my Evo. But it took me a while to convince myself to buy one. It's definitly not a "need", but more of a "want". I didn't want another laptop or a netbook. This fits that in between space for me.

the screen didn't give me headaches...I loved the screen. It was email attachments not being downloaded, and the browser crashing usually at a time when I needed it not to. (entering passwords, etc) I liked reading on it in low light, and being able to switch to email in a flash too. There's a new ereader out for $199.00 (Cheaper than the Sony one I bought a year and a half ago) that has email, market, and android on it...If my ereader died I'd buy that in a heartbeat! It's a factory-rooted Nook!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I found I couldn't use the auto-brightness feature. I generally like the brightness toned down a bit as well. No big deal though, that's why the option to set it is there.

Definitely less "sensitive" than my HTC Thunderbolt's screen. Seems to require a slightly longer press to indicate an action. Bugged me at first when I got, but after using it a bit I'm already adjusted to it.

Not sure what can be done here...it's more a limitation of the form factor and size of device (and thus your ability to hold it and type) than anything else. I'd recommend trying out a few different keyboards, I believe swype is even available, until you find one that you like best. A tab of this size is never gonna be as easy to hold and thumb type as a keyboard, and obviously there's no separate physical keyboard either. I tend to just peck away at it, and I've somewhat gotten used to it.

/Rant

For some, a 7" tab is a much better option (or, dare I say it...and iPad)...up to you on that one. I personally prefer the larger screen and am really enjoying the Galaxy 10.1. Of course, watching TV/Movies is pretty low priority for me, but at least my Slingbox app works great!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer