'about blank' on my homepage

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Since i did the 4.1.1. Update i keep getting a blank tab as my homepage with 'about blank' in the search bar. I cant close the tab to exit the browser,i have to press the back button on the tablet to go back to my tablet homescreen and when i tap browser (stock samsung one) to go back on the internet the homepage is the 'about blank' page.

Is this a bug in the 4.1.1. Update or have i got a virus? Has anyone else had this? Thanks.

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Dont know what flash or o.t.a. mean but it must have been a proper update, it came up when i switched my tab on last night 14.12.12.
I used to be on 4.0.4. And its changed now to 4.1.1.
I cant see anything different, except this about blank thing that is seriously bugging me on my internet browser,im worried ive accidentally clicked a dodgy link and ive been infected with something dodgy.

fester01

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, sounds like you had an OTA over the air update, which means it was done by Samsung. My first thought is to restart the tablet, press and hold the power button until you are asked to choose, power off/airplane mode/restart. Press restart. once it reboots see if you still get the same error.

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, sounds like you had an OTA over the air update, which means it was done by Samsung. My first thought is to restart the tablet, press and hold the power button until you are asked to choose, power off/airplane mode/restart. Press restart. once it reboots see if you still get the same error.

Tried a restart and nothing changed. I did a factory reset too and its still there. As anybody else experienced this with android? Is it a virus/malware?

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks for replying but its nothing as simple as that, honest ive tried all the obvious stuff and I cant get rid of it. has anybody else had this because before the 4.1.1. update it was fine and now its gone weird. on the stock samsung browser I used to close it by closing the internet tab I was browsing on but now when I do that the tab changes to about:blank tab with a blank screen and I have to use tablet back button to exit browser. is any of this normal or have I got a virus/malware etc?

samsungtabuser

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, sorry I havent got the answer but wanted to let you know that my samsung tablet is doing exatly the same thing as yours since the update about a week ago, I also lost flashplayer which was a task to reinstall. Ill let you know if I solve the issue but yeah its driving me mad too!!

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
For those with the update where are you located? I have yet to get the update and I check everyday.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
im in england. my mate recently installed his update on his tab 2 and his has done the exact same thing. im pi**ed off cos I did a factory reset to try and get rid of it and I lost some apps that are now no longer available from playstore. knowing that it aint just my tab thats got it makes me feel a bit better in a selfish way cos I thought id got some malware or something but it aint exactly impressed me seeing as this is my first android device!

Joshua Clarke

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem I am also from the uk my OTA push notification only came through late last night it seems to be unprecise as to when you will get it as my sister has an identical device and no update?

I also have experienced a few more problems thease include

• the issue "about blank"
  • an issue with my music it appears to have mixed with system sounds and game sounds in the music player
  • notifications on the popup notifications bar has distorted fonts
  • every so offten the browser opions tab when opened flickers
  • the webpage loading speed appears to be slower
I know there's one more important one on the tip of my tounge but I can't think

If you have any solutions for these please post preferable the music player one

Thanks,
Joshua Barclay Clarke
ICT Consultant
Nordicblowfish
Nordic Blowfish - Adventure Training

lososo88

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I am also having the same problem and would like to add that when you "close" the internet browser it does not really close unless you go to task manager and force close it... the browser used to always close before the update. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this as it seems more and more are starting to experience this problem.

whoa its len 2

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Another user here with the same issue. In addition to that scrolling internet pages has become a hassle. I used to scroll by swiping the edge of the screen up or down, this space is now used for zoom, very annoying.

Anyone have success with rolling back their Tab 2 10.1 to the previous version? (before this 4.1.1 headache)

- - - Updated - - -

Another user here with the same issue. In addition to that scrolling internet pages has become a hassle. I used to scroll by swiping the edge of the screen up or down, this space is now used for zoom, very annoying.

Anyone have success with rolling back their Tab 2 10.1 to the previous version? (before this 4.1.1 headache)

Ron Fife

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I chatted with Samsung support about the built in browser ( Safari) with the Android 4.1.1 update on Galaxy Tab 2 having a blank page homepage and not closing except through the task manager. He said I should go to the app manager and do all three options and reboot after each one. I only have two options for Internet: force stop; tried didn't work, and clear data. I don't want to clear data and lose all my passwords, bookmarks etc., so maybe someone will and let us know?