Not using external SD Card

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
this change can be useful when download things through the browser, but cannot fix the problem when I am trying to install a APP, right ?

Correct. It has an indirect impact, by making sure that the precious internal memory is not consumed by downloads... But, it doesn't resolve all storage issues.

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
regarding getting media onto an SD card, I ran into the same problem. With a 4 GB card everything worked perfectly, but when I upgraded to a 32GB card I had problems. After much experimentation I determined that my tablet can read, but not write to, a 32 GB microSD card. Instead I have to use a card reader to get media onto the card, and then the tablet plays it fine.

blades741

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
One app specifically that I have not seen mentioned is DroidTV Primetime. It's doesn't stream tv shows, it actually downloads them to the device (in my case, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0). By default, the app is supposed to put downloaded media on the external SD card, but it won't on the tab. And manually moving the files to the external card is NOT an option, because the app only looks for media where it's default download location was. Believe me, I've tried but the app is dumbed-down to not allow this level of configuration to specify the DL location. The app developer merely pointed to Google. Here's my email and their reply:

PS. Is there a way to fix this by rooting? Currently not rooted, but I'd gladly root to fix this. I've also got this app on my SG Note (i1717) running Gingerbread, and it saves to the SD card just fine by default.
=====================================

DroidTV automatically uses the external SD memory if your device allows it to. Unfortunately, some devices, especially from Samsung, Acer, and ASUS, do not allow storing recorded episodes on the external SD memory. This is in accordance with the new standard from Google, but ?wastes? the external memory for these types of uses.

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:02 AM
To: Support@myDroidTV.com
Subject: SD card issue - Feedback on DroidTV Primetime

Droid TV Primetime seems to be ignoring my external SD card on my Samsung galaxy tab and creates the PVR folder on the internal device memory. How can I fix this, and why isn't this a forceable setting in the app's preferences?

Sent from Samsung tablet

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That is a good point. I use DroidTv as well and have been getting the storage limit problem. I also with my books

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Matt Mertes

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I understand that you can't put apps to SD. But I have rom's on my SD Card, and I can't access them. My Galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is rooted, so could anyone point me in the right direction on how to bypass it?

Swissbrasil

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an ext microSD (8GB) inserted but after a hard reset the file manager does not recognize it anymore. What has gone wrong and how can I recuperate it??? Thanks for any idea.

Bastiat_Fan

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it seems like those suggesting simply moving files to the extSD using the file manager have never actually tried it. Sure, you can move some files, but they become unusable because the internal SD apps won't search the extSD for data files. For instance, if I download a movie from the Google Store and move it to the extSD, I can no longer view it using the Google Movies app or any other app I've tried. And it doesn't take long to use up all of the space if you download tv series to watch on planes, etc. Google needs to change/fix this problem.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
that is because of the DRM on the movie. I have DRM free movies on my sd card that I play all the time.

Google IS the problem with this one. They want the SD card gone.

George Catt

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, ain't this a pisser??!! Just got my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 this week, assumed ease of use. Got it specifically to replace my 10" Acer for a trip to S.E.A. next month (space considerations) and to act as a GPS while exploring the back country. Need memory space to store maps and tracks.

I bought a 16 GB SD card just yesterday and now finding this same issue. VERY disappointed in Samsung and Google for not handling this in an appropriate manner. I'm sending my complaint to both entities now.

Much thanks to all who are pushing this issue ahead of me.

George

George Catt
cattmando@gmail.com
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona

George Catt

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
OMG!!!! Just tried to send e-mail via Samsung's customer support site. Doesn't work after going thru all their requested info, typing the message and trying to send,,, the window to display/document the model number of the unit won't open and the message can't be submitted without the info. Samsung is gonna get a call.

BTW, tried getting to them via Face Book too, and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is not even listed there.

I fear we have purchased an orphan product.

DybzD

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks dude. ur answers really help a lot in my sd card problems than those technicians at Samsung retail outlet. haha (thumbs up)

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the real reason why they prohibit this is DRM related. If you can't instal the apps on the ext SD then you can't "share" the app with others. The other reason was that even today, certain uSD cards are flaky.

dmtchico

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, ain't this a pisser??!! Just got my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 this week, assumed ease of. se. Got it specifically to replace my 10" Acer for a trip to S.E.A. next month (space considerations) and to act as a GPS while exploring the back country. Need memory space to store maps and tracks.

I bought a 16 GB SD card just yesterday and now finding this same issue. VERY disappointed in Samsung and Google for not handling this in an appropriate manner. I'm sending my complaint to both entities now.

Much thanks to all who are pushing this issue ahead of me.

George

George Catt
cattmando@gmail.com
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona

Hi George.

For a map app that displays where you are, try ORUXMAPS. It's totally free and it lets you set it up to store offline MAPS (google, Topo, satellite) to your extsdcard.
Its not a vehicle GPS navigation app, its more of a simple map display that puts an icon on the map showing where you are on the map. Visit their website for help downloading various maps or even using a free program to make downloaded pictures of maps work with it.

As far as using the extsdcard, Samsung made it an available option, now the app developers need to make their apps allow it's use for storing their data (like OruxMaps and Office Suite Pro and Mort music player have done.

Lack of the option to use the extsdcard more is due to lazy app developers, not Samsung. IMO.
Although, in the app developers defense, the internal memory is ALWAYS there, so in their eyes their app is more reliable and will still work even if a user likes to swap sdcards back and forth a lot.

So, bottomline. Shop for apps that allow you to set them up to use the extsdcard for their data/file storage.
And, if you have a favorite app, email them and ask them to add this feature. Some devs are very responsive this way. However, don't expect much of a response from larger corporations that are concerned about digital rights management (DRM). They prefer to use the PROTECTED internal memory.

I edited this post on Feb 2nd for typos and additional info.

Enjoy your tablet. I do.

Last edited:

mfast

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had my tablet for a week now and I love it. But the biggest downfall Samsung has did to the Galaxy tablet, is not to let the apps goto the external sd card. Samsung if you're reading this you need to change it please. You need to do an upgrade on the program if not I'll be going to the Apple or something else.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had my tablet for a week now and I love it. But the biggest downfall Samsung has did to the Galaxy tablet, is not to let the apps goto the external sd card. Samsung if you're reading this you need to change it please. You need to do an upgrade on the program if not I'll be going to the Apple or something else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall