Is galaxy tab 2 7 still viable?

knrstz64

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
OK I have a nexus 7 and love it. I want to get the wife something but we are on a budget. Amazon has then galaxy tab 2 7 for 179. I really like that is has a micro SD slot. That's the big selling point for me. I can save money compared to the 32 gig nexus 7 and I think she could potentially fill up more than one memory card. Those of you that have the tab, are you still happy with it or are you looking to upgrade? Is the touch screen responsive? Is the resolution on the screen a killer? FYI, kindle fire HD isn't an option. It doesn't work for what we need. Thanks!

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have no plans to replace mine for at least a year. For the things I do, it functions well, and the screen is responsive to touch. I am not really pleased with using the stylus that I used when I had the original Fire, as it doesn't seem to work as well as it did on the Fire, but it responds well to my touch. I really only used a stylus to minimize the oil on the screen, because I do have oily fingers.

Battery life is adequate, and although I do sometimes wait a little longer than I like to start some games, it isn't a deal breaker for me. I think it is a reasonable option still for anyone not yet spoiled by a higher end tablet.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I wanted an upgrade from my Galaxy tab and purchased a Nexux 7. I didn't keep it long because there was a couple things It would not do that I wanted. Sold the Nexus and purchased the Galaxy Tab 2-7. No regrets!

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 7 has a better CPU, GPU, and screen. The Galaxy Tab 2 has a microSD card slot and a rear camera. Those are the main differences I am aware of.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitively still viable. It is also getting jb very soon and has touch wiz which brings extra features. I believe it edges out the nexus 7. Lastly if your wife needed Internet on it outside of the house Verizon has it on sale today only for 99.99 with a 2 yr contract. This gives the galaxy another plus over the nexus 7 if you get the LTE verizon one. On vzws new plans its only 10 dollars a month. So after 2 years you would have paid 340 instead of 180 except you can use it outside of the house as well as a hotspot. The difference between those two figures is 160 divided by the 24 month contract equals 7 dollars a month to have the 4g version. So if you are on vzw that is the route I would take.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Definitively still viable. It is also getting jb very soon and has touch wiz which brings extra features. I believe it edges out the nexus 7. Lastly if your wife needed Internet on it outside of the house Verizon has it on sale today only for 99.99 with a 2 yr contract. This gives the galaxy another plus over the nexus 7 if you get the LTE verizon one. On vzws new plans its only 10 dollars a month. So after 2 years you would have paid 340 instead of 180 except you can use it outside of the house as well as a hotspot. The difference between those two figures is 160 divided by the 24 month contract equals 7 dollars a month to have the 4g version. So if you are on vzw that is the route I would take.

Anyone know if the wifi only version (p3113) is getting the JB update?

arieldelafuente

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Had this same question last Friday (TG weekend).
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 vs Nexus 7 - What a first world problem my friends said.
In the end it was the Tab2 because of my situation and priorities.

- I'm not an app hog. I prefer the option of having more storage for podcasts, movies, pdfs, etc.
- I have the Galaxy Tab S3 and prefer to keep it consistent using TouchWiz.

Good luck with your decision. Both are good tablets.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Han Cnx

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup. No camera is a deal breaker for me. Along with not being able to make regular voice phone calls, though they're currently hacking the heck out of the Nexus 7 3G on the xda forum to make it do voice calls.

Of course as a tablet, Nexus 7 is superior in just about every way. But for me it needs a camera and it needs to be a phone; don't want to carry two (or three) devices with me.

I do get the feeling that a successor to the Tab 2 can't be too far off.. All the technology is well over a year old. Anyone's guess what the sucessor will cost of course, it could easily cost as much as the Note 2. Price wise the Tab 2 is kind of in a very sweet spot. It's not the best tool for any job, but it does a heck of a lot. Swiss army knife.

Alex Pearsall

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 Will get key lime pie when its released before Samsung. Samsung's support for devices only last like 3 months they always want you to buy the new thing they have. It took them 10 months to get ics to the tab 10.1:D:D
I love my nexus 7 never will not love it! Nexus 7 beats the tab 2 with quad core which most new tablets are going to have. Then the tab people are going to feel owned and the SD doesn't matter with Google drive and drop box which you can put apps on!

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 7 Will get key lime pie when its released before Samsung. Samsung's support for devices only last like 3 months they always want you to buy the new thing they have. It took them 10 months to get ics to the tab 10.1:D:D
I love my nexus 7 never will not love it! Nexus 7 beats the tab 2 with quad core which most new tablets are going to have. Then the tab people are going to feel owned and the SD doesn't matter with Google drive and drop box which you can put apps on!

I find your stories interesting. Please tell us more.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

djstarion

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I went through 3 different N7s and each of them had the touchscreen issues and screen separation. Got the GTab and been happy with it since. Does everything I need a tablet to do.

metalmorphasis

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is still the best option for the buck right now..
BUT, You might want to wait a couple few months until the new version Nexus comes along with its brand new snappy Snapdragon processor.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have both the Nexus 7 and the Tab 2 7.0. As far as CPU responsiveness I don't really notice a difference even though the Nexus has a quad core Tegra. I don't do graphics intensive games however but they both seem quick and responsive. I got the Tab 2 7.0 because this version supports Verizon 4g LTE. The other advantage of the Tab 2 is that it has a micro SD card which make it better for keeping movies for trips. Also the Tab has an IR transmitter and Peel app that is a nice way of getting TV listings and controlling the AV equipment. I prefer the way stock Android and the Holo scheme looks with blue text on black background to the Samsung gray backgrounds and colorful icons which reminds me of iOS devices. But it doesn't get in the way, just a style preference.