Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablet running 4.4 KitKat problem?

Willabong

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I have been told KitKat will not read or write to my SD card as the OS will not allow it?

So my question is, how can I either override this restriction or upgrade to an OS version that will allow read/write access to the SD card?:(
Thanks for any advice!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablet running 4.4 KitKat problem?

Welcome to Android Central! Which 8" tablet do you have? Is it the Note 8.0?

With KitKat, apps need specific permission to read/write to the SD, and they only can access those directories they created. You can read more about it here: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

I'm afraid you can't override it, and it's unlikely your device has any official updates to Lollipop. The alternative would be to root it and install a custom ROM, but that isn't something I'd recommend for novices.

Willabong

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. This is not a Galaxy Note, just a run of the mill device, I am not a novice with Andriod devices, I have had a tablet and phone with various flavours of OS for a number of years, but I bought the KitKat tablet second hand to run a database software, and it was only after purchase that I found out about the lack of SD Card support!
I may be interested in rooting this device and installing a custom ROM, but having never tried this, I would require a walk through of some sort, is there one available somewhere?
Thanks again for your help!:).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Can you tell us which Galaxy tablet you have, then? The forums at xda-developers.com is a good place to look for rooting and ROMs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87