Samsung start Android 4.0.4 updates Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is for the U.S. P6210 Galaxy Tab... These are the exact steps I took (that worked) so I know you will be successful if you follow these steps correctly. There may be other tutorials out there that have it packaged better, but like I said, this is just what I did.

Download 4.0.4 on your computer and unzip the file. It will be a tar.md5 file. Just put it on your external SD card: P6210 ICS Now available - xda-developers

Download Mobile Odin Lite from here, but don't install it yet: [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers

Scroll down in the same thread to find the right FlashKernel for your device. This is what makes Mobile Odin Lite work. If you have $5 for the Pro version you don't need to do this step - it will be installed for you.

After you have the Mobile Odin Lite .apk and the FlashKernel downloaded, install the FlashKernel first. Then install Mobile Odin Lite.

Launch Mobile Odin and choose "select file"

Select that tar.md5 file from earlier. It should fill in a bunch of fields with information on the main screen of Mobile Odin. Now scroll to the bottom and select "Flash"

It will do its thing and reboot. This process will take 5 minutes or so. Now you've got 4.0.4

If you had root, you lost it. Here is how to root the 4.0.4 ROM, because other methods do not work.

Go to the fourth post in this thread: [ROOT] P6210 ICS + Firmware + Recovery - xda-developers

Download the root.zip and CWM.zip. Leave them zipped and put them on your external SD card.

Launch into recovery mode. (with the device off, hold the volume up and power buttons at the same time. When the Samsung logo appears, release the buttons)

Some lines of code will appear. Using the volume rockers to scroll, go to "apply update from external storage."

Use the power button to select the option.

Scroll to CWM.zip and select it.

Now it will launch a temporary version of Clockworkmod which you need for rooting. This version for me was very tempremental and looks bugged at first. Stick with it, because it did work for me. I had to use a combonation of touch selections (CWM is touch sensitive) and scolling with the volume/power buttons. You need to navigate to "install .zip from sdcard."

Once you get there, select the root.zip. Again, be patient, because the temporary CWM is buggy with the selections. Use your fingers on the screen and/or the volume buttons to navigate.

You need to scroll down through all the "No, No, No, No..." To the "Yes, I want to install" option. This is just a safety protocol.

Once you select "Yes, install" the root.zip will root your device. This process only takes a matter of seconds.

Now select "reboot" in CWM and your device should be flashed and rooted. Download Root Checker, Busybox and SuperUser from the Play Store.

Launch Root Checker and verify if you have root access.

If successful, install the binaries from BusyBox then update SuperUser binaries.

Congrats! Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know.

Proof of my flashed and rooted device attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-23-13-25-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-23-13-25-19.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2012-07-23-13-25-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-23-13-25-49.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
-E- This was a reply to cbill... But it seems he has deleted his post? Oh well, here is some clarification.

On downloading Mobile Odin Lite: Either way. You can either download it directly on your tablet or download it on your computer and transfer it. But here is what I did...

In the thread, at the bottom of the first post there is the link to download the Mobile Odin Lite .apk. Or you can click for a QR code. Do this.

Use a barcode scanner to scan the QR code and click the link it give you. It will immediately start to download the .apk to your tablet.

You can do the same for the FlashKernel. Just use the QR code and scan the correct FlashKernel (which, for the P6210 is located in the 7th post. You use the version for the P6200).

Once they're downloaded, install the FlashKernel first, then install Mobile Odin Lite.

In general, I believe installing will automatically do it to the internal SD card. I don't think you even get the option to choose - but don't quote me on that, I can't remember exactly. But I downloaded everything to my external SD. It really doesn't matter where you put it, though.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cbill

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I posted a video on YouTube showing step by step how to install ics on the galaxy tab. Search "2ndaccord" and u will find how to root, how to install ics, and a review on ics as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Mark_Henson

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Fender: Thanks for your quick and thorough response. It was a great help. Yes I did remove my comments; but glad you got them before I did. I was not sure if my questions would be understandable as written, but evidently they were, as you answered them.

I noticed the "Odin Mobile Pro" requires root, and that does bother me, as it appears removing root (to prepare for OTA) may be a little iffy at this time.

I have saved all of your guidance, but I am now going to explore whether using regular Odin on the computer eliminates the need for root, as I assume root is only needed to be able to write to the external SD using Mobile Odin.

If you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on this please chime in.

The only other question in my mind is: Do we have to restore to HC in order to get the OTA; and if so, can we get a full data backup without root. I would think Google Backup would accomplish that, but I do wish I could be confident. Not that it would be tragic if I lost my data, just an inconvenience I would rather avoid.

I have been relentlessly tracking all this on the major sites: but I still have more questions than answers. I guess I may have to go ahead and roll the dice, and realize I may not have all the answers before I face the problem(s).

Thanks again for your enlightening discussion.

Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about getting the OTA from Samsung, because this is the official release you are flashing. It just hasn't been released in the U.S. yet.

I did forget to mention that you need to be rooted before using Mobile Odin. That is true. You need to be rooted to use it, then you will lose root, then need to re-root if you so desire.

I tried using Odin on the computer first and it did not work for me. So that's why I tried other methods. That could be because I've never used Odin before, because plenty of people have been successful with it. Just not me.

You do need to be on stock Honeycomb before flashing. I also forgot to mention that too.

Good luck.

azharisadig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried to root my P.6200 axactly as you said, still have problem with root.zip through stock recovey, I got the error E: signature verification failed.
Any ideas????
I also download. mobileODIN and it works but i cant root my device..
note the photos attached is just a sample..
Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Right, that's what I was saying you need to use a temporary Clockworkmod recovery. The stock recovery image will not root the device for some reason.

The link for the Clockworkmod temporary recovery is included in one of those links, (look for "CWM.zip")

Launch that zip first, thru the default recovery and it will immediately launch into CWM. From there you should be able to root no problem by "applying an update from an external sdcard."

azharisadig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Right, that's what I was saying you need to use a temporary Clockworkmod recovery. The stock recovery image will not root the device for some reason.

The link for the Clockworkmod temporary recovery is included in one of those links, (look for "CWM.zip")

Launch that zip first, thru the default recovery and it will immediately launch into CWM. From there you should be able to root no problem by "applying an update from an external sdcard."

Yes...it works..i have root access now.. Thanks

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Android Central Forums

azharisadig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes...it works..i have root access now.. Thanks

Not sure what is going one, BusyBox istaller told me that i have root access, but Root check basic siad that i have no root access...even BusyBox mentioned that there is something wrong... I tried every thing but no sucess.
Will try again later

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what is going one, BusyBox istaller told me that i have root access, but Root check basic siad that i have no root access...even BusyBox mentioned that there is something wrong... I tried every thing but no sucess.
Will try again later

Did the root.zip go through successfully?

That is weird. I don't know what could be wrong with that.

Reactions: azharisadig

azharisadig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
2ee671f3-2686-c1cd.jpg
I flash it many time with no success, but now I have a custom recovery and I will try again later. Note that the root file was for honeycomb and not for ics.. I thing this is the problem although some people use it with no porblems..

Last edited:

azharisadig

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Did the root.zip go through successfully?

That is weird. I don't know what could be wrong with that.

I went back to the recovery, flash the zip file CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip, restart and i noticed that Root Check basic and busybox confirm that i have full root access!! Still not sure about that, and if
CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip made the root for my device? Is this is equal to root.zip??
92fbecf7-2e1e-3ddb.jpg

Last edited:

glockberg

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I also took a leap of faith. I have the US GT-P6210. I used Odin, and installed the UK version and it really improved performance. The only thing that I did wrong was the file that I originally downloaded was the Austrian version for the 6200 and it failed to flash and bricked me temporarily until I download the right version. Now if only HTC and Verizon can push out ICS to my Rezound.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also took a leap of faith. I have the US GT-P6210. I used Odin, and installed the UK version and it really improved performance. The only thing that I did wrong was the file that I originally downloaded was the Austrian version for the 6200 and it failed to flash and bricked me temporarily until I download the right version. Now if only HTC and Verizon can push out ICS to my Rezound.

Surely if you're willing to flash your tablet you can flash your phone! :-!

glockberg

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I did follow the directions and temporarily bricked it. It turns out that the version I had downloaded was for the GTP6200 series and it would not complete. I downloaded the UK version for the P6210 and it installed fine. It markedly improved performance. Having had a larger ASUS with ICS before, I am really pleased with the improvements. All the issues of waking up and having to hold the button several times to start or wake the tablet are gone and overall performance is great. And, I did not have to root it...

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Excellent. Glad you got it figured out! :)

ICS on this tablet makes a MASSIVE improvement. Honeycomb never sat well with me. My Galaxy Tab 7 is a very powerful little tool now. Love it.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
a. download samsung kies to get the correct driver for gt-p6200

b. download odin3 v.1.85: http://www.mediafire.com/?arcl4arqo9qc59v

c. download Stock Firmware Austria - P6200XXLQ1_P6200OXALQ1_ATO.zip: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/162811167/9e67b52/P6200XXLQ1_P6200OXALQ1_ATO.zip.html

d. install Kies

e. extract Odin3-v1.85.zip

f. extract P6200XXLQ1_P6200OXALQ1_ATO.zip until you get file P6200OXALQ1_P6200XXLQ1_P6200XXLQ1_HOME.tar.md5

g. turn off your tablet

h. enter download mode (press volume up button + power button about 5 seconds)

I. plug the usb cable to your pc and your tablet

j. run Odin3 v1.85.exe

k. Check if pc recognize your tablet by seeing ID:COM turn yellow and "Added!!" message in the message box lower left odin window.

l. Cllik PDA button and put P6200OXALQ1_P6200XXLQ1_P6200XXLQ1_HOME.tar.md5

m. make sure to uncheck re-partition

n. click start

o. odin processing takes about 5 minutes, wait patiently.

p. if there's a "SUCCEED" in the message box, your tablet will restart

q. wait about 10 minutes, you should get your ICS boot to system

Thank you for the instructions. Worked perfectly on my US GTP6210 using UK firmware from July.

One thing on step h, to enter download mode I had to press volume down + power instead of volume up. Then volume up to confirm to enter download mode.

Things are running perfectly so far.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

zaahier

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi g1toevo678

So did you manage to get your GT -P6200 to android version 4.0 with a different version released to another country? Please help i have rooted my device ages ago and have been waiting for the ICS for ever.

please help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87