Decisions: Tab Pro 8.4 or Tab S 8.4?

SomeCallMeCoach

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm currently rocking a first Gen Nexus7 that is dying fast, it's slow, wont often respond to touches for long periods, gets super hot and in general has become a pain to use due to its lagging performance. I only paid around $200 for it brand new, so I've gotten my fair share of use out of it in the almost 2 years I've had it, so I'm looking to upgrade.
With the Tab Pro 8.4 only being $280 at best buy now, I'm tempted to get that over the $400 Tab S, mind you I'm also kind of considering a 64GB iPad Mini 2 (I'm aware thats probably a bad thing to say on an Android forum, but oh well.).

So the question becomes, is the Pro Tab at $279 a better buy than the Tab S at $399 or the iPad Mini 2 32GB/64GB at$349/$399?

Thanks!

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you are going to use the tablet for. The Tab S has an awesome display. if you're into gaming or movies, go Tab S. General internet browsing, save the money and go Tab Pro.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My wife tried the Tab S 10.5 for a week (there was a local Samsung kiosk in a mall that had a "test drive" option), but ultimately she got a Tab Pro 8.4. The main advantages of the Tab S are the AMOLED screen, which gives somewhat more vivid colors than the Tab Pro's IPS LCD screen (although the latter looks totally fine), and the slightly thinner dimensions (by 0.6 mm). They have different processors as well--the Tab S has an Octa-core Exynos 5, while the Tab Pro has a Snapdragon 800. They're supposed to be pretty equal in performance, although I saw a review stating that the Snapdragon's performance is actually a little better than the Exynos.

Overall, my wife has been very happy with her Tab Pro 8.4. We didn't think the extra $150 or so was worth paying for the Tab S.

SomeCallMeCoach

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I mostly would use it for internet browsing, reading books, and Netflix/Hulu etc and some minor games (nothing to hardcore). It seems like I should save the money and go with the Tab Pro.
Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Definitely go with the Tab Pro, then. The Tab S was intended to be their flagship, but you don't really need a flagship for that kind of activity.

Dee New Start Lynch

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
thanks, I've been pondering this same question. looking into the pro 8.4 or S 8.4. Both my nexus 7 and nexus 7 2013 screens have cracked, though I love my nexus, the expandable memory is what gets me (not a fan of clouds or constant transferring over wifi). I'll be bidding on a pro 8.4 on eBay this evening. fingers crossed! :-$

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd probably go Tab S if I was buying a new tablet now for the simple fact that it has a much better chance of being updated. Besides that, I'd still choose the Pro over the S.

Guillaume Labrecque

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The TabPro 8.4 is in the Best Buy Black Friday ad. It'll be available at $199, which is a steal IMO for a tablet of this quality.

Myself, I got it in July at $250 from Staples in Canada and I still love this tablet. Still can't believe Samsung dropped the ball on it only 6 months after releasing it...

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a tab pro and am very happy with it. I like the speaker set up on the S though. Speakers on left and right sides when held in landscape. This is better for watching videos. Where as the pro has them on the bottom when held in portrait. So when you turn it to landscape to watch a movie both speakers are on the same side. That's a small detail but the biggest reason I'd go for the S over the pro. Maybe I'll get one next year when they drop to 199.00

Sent from my SM-T320

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non