My new S24+ is a cool side-phone, but 2 reasons it can't be my daily driver...

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I caved and traded in my Note10+ for an S24+...but it was impossible to say no, TMobile offered me $1000! It was basically a straight up trade, my N10+ for the S24+.

Anyway, after playing around with the phone, I think it's great, and a lot of ways is better than my Pixel 8 Pro, but there are just 2 things that really bug me about it that I wish Samsung would just fix:

1) codec support. I know, I know, they want to keep you using their buds, but dammit I've spent hundreds of dollars on earbuds, and I'll be damned if I'll let a company gimp them by not allowing Aptx Lossless. I mean, it doesn't make any sense, the S24 line comes with the newest Qualcomm chip, which should also allow it access to all the fancy new Aptx codecs, but for whatever reason, they just won't make it available. At least there's LDAC.

2) repetitive and redundant apps. I've got so multiple messaging apps, multiple app stores, multiple browsers and multiple calendars and clocks. It just feels like buying a Samsung isn't the same as buying an android but more like when you buy a Samsung, you're also buying an android. It's two separate things, as opposed to one cohesive unit or ecosystem.

Anyway, I'm sure we're all still enjoying, but at the end of the day, I can't throw my SIM in a phone that won't let fully utilize my Pi7 s2's or my Beoplay Ex. It just feels like wasted potential =(

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
That's too bad. B&W and B&O deserves better. Unfortunately Samsung have being doing this for years with their "crapsynos" chip. What is the phone like otherwise ?

Reactions: MoreDef

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking today about how when I go from my P6Pro to my Flip, I go from a cohesive phone that was easy to set up, and does everything simply and cleanly with everything working together, to a phone that feels a little bipolar 😯 .... with scattered apps doing scattered things, and things just not as simple or intuitive as the Pixel.

The separate visual voicemail app on the Flip really does suck after using the Pixels all in one phone/vvm app. I've given up on getting it to work properly 😕 And that's kind of the story overall... simplicity and easy versus complicated and finicky.

I think Samsungs are enthusiast phones, for the folks that take days customizing and setting their phone up "just right", versus your average Pixel owner who just transfers data over on the new phone setup, picks out a wallpaper/lock screen, and maybe flips a switch for the material you system theming and calls it a day lol.

Different strokes for different folks I think 😉

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I caved and traded in my Note10+ for an S24+...but it was impossible to say no, TMobile offered me $1000! It was basically a straight up trade, my N10+ for the S24+.

Anyway, after playing around with the phone, I think it's great, and a lot of ways is better than my Pixel 8 Pro, but there are just 2 things that really bug me about it that I wish Samsung would just fix:

1) codec support. I know, I know, they want to keep you using their buds, but dammit I've spent hundreds of dollars on earbuds, and I'll be damned if I'll let a company gimp them by not allowing Aptx Lossless. I mean, it doesn't make any sense, the S24 line comes with the newest Qualcomm chip, which should also allow it access to all the fancy new Aptx codecs, but for whatever reason, they just won't make it available. At least there's LDAC.

2) repetitive and redundant apps. I've got so multiple messaging apps, multiple app stores, multiple browsers and multiple calendars and clocks. It just feels like buying a Samsung isn't the same as buying an android but more like when you buy a Samsung, you're also buying an android. It's two separate things, as opposed to one cohesive unit or ecosystem.

Anyway, I'm sure we're all still enjoying, but at the end of the day, I can't throw my SIM in a phone that won't let fully utilize my Pi7 s2's or my Beoplay Ex. It just feels like wasted potential =(
I don't really care about codecs, I just use the Galaxy buds 2 pro I got free with whichever phone I got them free with and I'm happy.

I do understand where you're coming from though, I haven't bought a Samsung TV partially because they refuse to support Dolby vision.

Reactions: winmod21

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Open developer's settings and see when you connect your headphones if you can toggle to Aptx
9b3a9f3c3144afd707c79599993d0f43.jpg

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Open developer's settings and see when you connect your headphones if you can toggle to Aptx
9b3a9f3c3144afd707c79599993d0f43.jpg
Oh man, trust, I've tried everything to activate Aptx, but from everything I've read, Samsung just refuses due to having to pay royalties. It makes no sense though, since they're already using the Qualcomm chip. It's like paying to take your kid to Disneyland, but then refusing to get them anything there because it's all expensive...you're already there, what's the point in not going all the way?!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh man, trust, I've tried everything to activate Aptx, but from everything I've read, Samsung just refuses due to having to pay royalties. It makes no sense though, since they're already using the Qualcomm chip. It's like paying to take your kid to Disneyland, but then refusing to get them anything there because it's all expensive...you're already there, what's the point in not going all the way?!
I agree with you :(

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking today about how when I go from my P6Pro to my Flip, I go from a cohesive phone that was easy to set up, and does everything simply and cleanly with everything working together, to a phone that feels a little bipolar 😯 .... with scattered apps doing scattered things, and things just not as simple or intuitive as the Pixel.

The separate visual voicemail app on the Flip really does suck after using the Pixels all in one phone/vvm app. I've given up on getting it to work properly 😕 And that's kind of the story overall... simplicity and easy versus complicated and finicky.

I think Samsungs are enthusiast phones, for the folks that take days customizing and setting their phone up "just right", versus your average Pixel owner who just transfers data over on the new phone setup, picks out a wallpaper/lock screen, and maybe flips a switch for the material you system theming and calls it a day lol.

Different strokes for different folks I think 😉
Omg you hit the nail on the head. I've had this phone since Friday last week and STILL feel like it's not my phone. So much OCD stuff to take care of, from deleting it hiding redundant apps, to trying to figure out where and how to customize it while at the same time trying to keep it "stock". You are on the money even you called it an "enthusiast" phone, because I've been finding myself just exploring menu after menu just trying to tinker and get it to feel right, and feel like it's mine. It's fun, but damn it's stressful.

Reactions: J Dubbs

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
That's too bad. B&W and B&O deserves better. Unfortunately Samsung have being doing this for years with their "crapsynos" chip. What is the phone like otherwise ?
It's great, but it's great like buying a fixer upper is great...it's fun to tinker and set it up, but it's a lot of work before it feels like mine. And even then, despite all the work put in, it still won't be my daily driver due to the codecs and subpar camera under indoor low light conditions.

It's an emulation beast though.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Omg you hit the nail on the head. I've had this phone since Friday last week and STILL feel like it's not my phone. So much OCD stuff to take care of, from deleting it hiding redundant apps, to trying to figure out where and how to customize it while at the same time trying to keep it "stock". You are on the money even you called it an "enthusiast" phone, because I've been finding myself just exploring menu after menu just trying to tinker and get it to feel right, and feel like it's mine. It's fun, but damn it's stressful.
There's a reason I buy Galaxy phones for myself and Pixels for parents. The pixel is just an iPhone for people who don't want to give Apple any money. A basic phone for basic folk, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That said, the real problem is that you have a bit of the enthusiast in you . Most people with Galaxy phones don't do any of the stuff you are talking about, they just use them. Your problem is that if they give you features to play with and settings to adjust, you will play with and adjust them lol.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
There's a reason I buy Galaxy phones for myself and Pixels for parents. The pixel is just an iPhone for people who don't want to give Apple any money. A basic phone for basic folk, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That said, the real problem is that you have a bit of the enthusiast in you . Most people with Galaxy phones don't do any of the stuff you are talking about, they just use them. Your problem is that if they give you features to play with and settings to adjust, you will play with and adjust them lol.
excellent illustration

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

I've never owned an Android device that wasn't either a pixel or a Samsung. I don't know how other Android devices are, but Samsung has its own ecosystem and isn't satisfied with just using Google stuff while on the Android platform. While 90% of the tinkering is fun and fulfilling, there is 10% which just feels like cleaning house. I've got to make decisions I didn't think I had to decide on, like which messaging app, which phone app, which calendar app etc etc. These are things that just make using Android on the Samsung feel unintuitive and, as previously mentioned, bipolar. You're right, though, the pixel line is starting to feel like the iPhone of Android and it's for somebody who only wants to dip their toes into what Android really has to offer.

BobVA

Jan 20, 2024
Visit site

Almost all of those duplicate apps can be disabled or uninstalled so you won't see them in the launcher at all.

Last edited:

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You are 100% correct. It's not that I can't, it's that I have to. I know, I know, that's a first world problem that can solved by simply not buying it if I have such a problem with it...but it's a problem for me nonetheless.

On top of that, there are benefits to one over he other, so the dilemma of choice just makes something more complicated. Take google messages over Samsung messages...they each have their own, and different levels of customization, from background wallpapers to custom keyboards.

Like I said, it's a first world problem, but I don't think it's one that any other phones suffer from. Samsung just needs to make it's own phone, to go with it's own ecosystem.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Is this why wireless earbuds always sound like crap to me? I finally upgraded to the Buds2 Pro from the Buds Pro and they sound like totally crap still. I have a pair of full sized Sony's that use LDAC and they sound superb, however, why isn't this the "default setting"? Top notch headphones that support LDAC, top notch phone that supports LDAC....WHY ISN'T LDAC THE DAMNED DEFAULT SETTING!? Sheesh...still in 2024. :rolleyes::unsure: I remember bluetooth in my 5th gen Camaro was totally useless as well...sounded absolutely horrendous compared to everything else and probably due to crappy codecs. Shouldn't the push to wireless and bluetooth try to at least thrive for the best and most lossless codecs to use for everything? I mean, a lot of people complained about the loss of a headphone jack, at least make the wireless experience top-notch! Finally I just discovered that there's a paid version of LDAC for the PC now. Damnit...top of the line hardware should just default to LDAC. Why are very lossy and crappy performing codecs still being used on top-notch hardware??? And when all the devices support the best codec, why isn't it the default setting??? Jeez.... Like buying a Lamborghini and it only runs on two cylinders off the showroom....

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
~
I do understand where you're coming from though, I haven't bought a Samsung TV partially because they refuse to support Dolby vision.
Exactly why we've stayed with Sony over the years! Samsung tv's are very tempting... but then there's always the ridiculous fact that Samsungs won't support DV. Although all or nearly all other manuf. 's do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreDef

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you've got to jump through so many hoops just to make Sony earbuds connected to a Samsung default to an LDAC connection, as opposed to always defaulting to aac.

Samsung has a proprietary codec (SSC) which is supposed to be very good, but is only accessed via Samsung Buds using a Samsung device. The crazy thing is that they literally have access to best codec right now, but intentionally restrict it to steer you towards their hardware if you want to access anything better than SBC and AAC.

Most people won't care, but then again, most people haven't spent thousands on audio gear. It's crazy that despite having the newest Samsung, I'm still looking to buy something like the Motorola Thinkphone ($400) just to access Aptx Lossless.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Is this why wireless earbuds always sound like crap to me? I finally upgraded to the Buds2 Pro from the Buds Pro and they sound like totally crap still. I have a pair of full sized Sony's that use LDAC and they sound superb, however, why isn't this the "default setting"? Top notch headphones that support LDAC, top notch phone that supports LDAC....WHY ISN'T LDAC THE DAMNED DEFAULT SETTING!? Sheesh...still in 2024. :rolleyes::unsure: I remember bluetooth in my 5th gen Camaro was totally useless as well...sounded absolutely horrendous compared to everything else and probably due to crappy codecs. Shouldn't the push to wireless and bluetooth try to at least thrive for the best and most lossless codecs to use for everything? I mean, a lot of people complained about the loss of a headphone jack, at least make the wireless experience top-notch! Finally I just discovered that there's a paid version of LDAC for the PC now. Damnit...top of the line hardware should just default to LDAC. Why are very lossy and crappy performing codecs still being used on top-notch hardware??? And when all the devices support the best codec, why isn't it the default setting??? Jeez.... Like buying a Lamborghini and it only runs on two cylinders off the showroom....
Agreed w/regards the codecs!👍
The LDAC SQ on my inexpensive Anker Soundcore Q35's Hi-Res ANC (over-the-ear headphones) is superb as well. Skookum! 😎

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That depends on what you're using them with. On a Samsung phone they use Samsungs own codec which is probably as good as any other lossless codec, but on non Samsung phones though, I think they use a lossy codec, so will not sound good. Probably shouldn't buy Samsung earbuds for a non Samsung phone.

The alternative is that wireless earbuds sound bad because you're comparing them to a set of full size Sony's lol. Of course something that easily fits in your pocket doesn't sound as good as something that you need a backpack to carry around with you.