Samsung Galaxy Tab S - Mounting SD card has deleted files, how can I recover the files?

hazio123

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab S - Mounting SD card has deleted files

Hi all,

I've just got back from a Skiing trip and took a load of really good GoPro footage. I decided it was such a good day that I really wanted to view some of the footage prior to getting home so whilst away, I thought I could simply put the SD card from the GoPro into my TAB S and view some of the videos.

However, when the card mounted, it only showed a couple of videos from the previous day.

I put the card back into my GoPro and a whole days worth of footage had seemingly disappeared. I discountinued using the card until I got home as I thought I may be able to recover the footage... any ideas?

The android device has put a couple of folders/files on the card

android_secure
Andriod
LOSTDIR

but there's nothing of use in them. Also in the go pro folder (DCIM) there are a few weird looking files. Looks totally corrupt to me. Has anybody has an experience with something similar and any pointers on recovering files?

Thanks in advance!

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab S - Mounting SD card has deleted files

Don't recall names but there are Desktop programs that can read through sd-cards and recover files, particularly, if you did not write any new data to those cards.

I thought the Tab S only accommodated micro-cards.

This summer in Europe I hooked my digital canon up to my Tab S each night using a usb-to-go adapter. That worked fine. Then as further insurance, I then copied those files to a thumb drive.

Good luck.

hazio123

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Apologies, it is a Micro SD... I just keep it in the SD card adapter when not in use.

So I've managed to used recuva to scan and restore some files. I've got about 30GB of videos which is probably about right for the amount that should of been on the card. I'm now having trouble restoring the .mp4's into a working format.

I've explored "grau video repair" software and "recover_mp4_to_h264.exe" program. Both of which are giving me a file VLC will play (and its definitely the video that went missing) however, it has artefacts every 2-3 seconds. Very frustrating. I'm convinced the data is there, I just can't quite make it work!

Any more ideas welcome, thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
PhotoRec will recover anything on the card (IOW, not files that have been overwritten by other files). Instructions at PhotoRec Step By Step (which you'll need if you're not comfortable in a Linux command line).

The files will be recovered, the extensions of the names will be, the names themselves won't. (The names are kept in a list in the filesystem - PhotoRec ignores the filesystem and looks for files. That way it can recover files even if the filesystem is damaged.)

Last edited: