Do I need Help or Should I Remain Disappointed?: Tab S2 & HDMI

enduro

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Google Nexus 7 (2012 then 2013) for a few years and used a non proprietary micro USB to HDMI cable that can be powered to watch movies successfully on the same HDMI TV.

Last week I purchased a Tab S2 and have found that apparently the same cable is now not doing the job. I'm using the same player and codec etc but the movie is just not playing on the TV.

Do I really need to purchase the proprietary Samsung cable system?

Is there and alternative?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Posted via the Android Central App

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Some devices have a combination USB and HDMI connector, I had a Motorola phone with this in the past and it worked as you describe. As far as I know the S2 does not have this connector or HDMI output so it won't work.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If you get a Miracast or Chrome Cast wireless display adapter, your Tab S2 will project HD to your TV. I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor (Miracast) and I've had no problems projecting my TV.

No HDMI cable needed...though for the Microsoft adapter your TV does need to have a USB port as well, for power purposes.

ember1205

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
If you get a Miracast or Chrome Cast wireless display adapter, your Tab S2 will project HD to your TV. I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor (Miracast) and I've had no problems projecting my TV.

No HDMI cable needed...though for the Microsoft adapter your TV does need to have a USB port as well, for power purposes.

I just bought two Sony BDP-X350 Blu-Ray players with the screen mirroring ability in them. Haven't tried it yet with video, but it would seem that this is the way to go.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I connected to my Microsoft Wireless Display adapter the other day and had no problems with video quality or sound. It played on my TV at full HD and stereo sound.

ember1205

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
There is no S.Connect on the Note 5.

Connectivity to my Samsung smart TV works well for photos and video, but connectivity for video to the Sony Blu-Ray players is poor. Quality is degraded, playback is choppy, and no video will play past about 50 seconds.

ember1205

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks ember. I didn't know, however, that would be a reason for me to not buy a 5. I cast most often from my S2, but also from my phone occasionally.

If you're referring to the Tab S2, there's no S.Connect on there either.

As mentioned above, the new offering is Quick Connect (which is not terribly quick at all). I haven't yet tried connecting from the Tab S2, but maybe I will.

For what it's worth, the smart TV and the BD player are both hard-wired to the house network while the phone / tab are on Wi-Fi.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're referring to the Tab S2, there's no S.Connect on there either.

As mentioned above, the new offering is Quick Connect (which is not terribly quick at all). I haven't yet tried connecting from the Tab S2, but maybe I will.

For what it's worth, the smart TV and the BD player are both hard-wired to the house network while the phone / tab are on Wi-Fi.

I haven't tried Quick Connect with the TV or a player but I have transferred files from a Note 4 to a Note 5 and it was super quick for me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup.. I never used Quick Connect until I got my Note 5 and transferred a lot of stuff from my Note 4. The Note 4 is the first time I remember noticing "Quick Connect".

ember1205

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth, my comment about Quick Connect not being Quick was aimed at how quickly the devices will actually connect to one another. For data transfer, it moves the data along pretty nicely (once you're actually connected).

ember1205

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
If the wire and WiFi are from the same router they will normally still be on the same network.

Yes, that is true. My home network is set up with a variety of different systems that are hard-wired (DLNA server, file servers, media players, smart tv, two BD players, etc.) and a number of Wi-Fi devices (smart phones, tablets, XBox, PS3, laptop, etc.). Everything is on the same IP Subnet, entirely switched (not routed), and nothing segregating or filtering traffic.

I brought up the fact that the players are hard-wired for two reasons:

1) Many, like mine, offer wired or Wi-Fi connectivity. When given a choice, I -ALWAYS- opt for wired.
2) Some of the screen mirroring technologies that are out there are designed for Wi-Fi direct connectivity and don't play well when both devices aren't talking to each other over Wi-Fi.

Viranchi

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey

Just wanted to check again, you using the Microsoft Miracast with the Samsung Tab S2 specifically right?
Also, can you stream Office 360 Apps (mainly Powerpoint) throught the device on the S2? Any limitation on any of the Apps you can cast?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey

Just wanted to check again, you using the Microsoft Miracast with the Samsung Tab S2 specifically right?
Also, can you stream Office 360 Apps (mainly Powerpoint) throught the device on the S2? Any limitation on any of the Apps you can cast?

Welcome to Android Central!

sepkort

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
I've a Google Nexus 7 (2013, Android version 6.0.1) and the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (Miracast) and there are no problems projecting my TV. But when I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 6.0.1), it finds MS adapter and tries to connect, but fails every time. Please, give any advice how to solve my problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer