Upgrade to S6 from Tab A (2017)

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Have a Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2017, 16GB). Aside from almost being out of storage to update installed apps and the non lighted navigation buttons, I suppose that the tablet is OK.

I'm thinking that I want to have a bigger screen since I use my current tablet a lot. I don't have any business need for a tablet.

Just wondering if the S6 is the best option?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless you absolutely NEED the S-Pen, you'd be better off with the S5e, or if you can spare the extra money but don't want the latest and greatest (S7 line), you might want to also consider the S6 Lite.

SGN9_2019

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Get an iPad if you can. I would not spend the kind of money for a product that Samsung barely supports. My tab S6 is still on android security update dating back to May of this year. Also the system firmware is always months behind the ones on the mobile phones so they never synch up directly in terms of new software features, unless you buy the latest tablet on a year basis.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Unless you absolutely NEED the S-Pen, you'd be better off with the S5e, or if you can spare the extra money but don't want the latest and greatest (S7 line), you might want to also consider the S6 Lite.
I got the S6 Lite and really like it. In my case it was a worthwhile upgrade, since my previous tablet was the 2013 Nexus 7.

Although I have the S10+ phone, I use the S Pen on the S6 Lite tablet frequently, as I find that the S Pen is a great option for a tablet moreso than for a phone.

I'm happy with the S6 Lite tablet, but I was using an extremely old tablet previously. The S6 Lite received the 2.5UI update on the same day that my S10+ phone received it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tablets get SW updates every 3 or 6 months on their roadmap, depending on the severity of the patch. And they have been updating their tablets up to 3+ years (I believe the S4 still got an update earlier this year and the S3 a security patch). Sure, it's not on par with iOS but then again, if the OP wanted an iOS device they'd have posted on iMore :p

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've got all Android devices, so going to apple would maybe take some getting used to. I'd prefer to go with Wifi tablet so I don't have to add another device for mobile data.

I do have unlimited mobile data with AT&T; don't know if that would change if I added another mobile capable device.

I was initially looking at the S7 but then I thought maybe I don't really need a big screen tablet.

Edit: it appears that right now, the S6 and S7 are the same price.

As for updates, I've seen reviews indicating that updates are lagging. Isn't the standard two years of OS and security updates?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Three years. Security updates are every 3 to 6 months depending on the severity of the patch (on tablets; phones are another beast). Unless you're going for the S7+, I still prefer the S6's screen versus the S7 (but you get an older tablet for the same price, so just make sure the new one is worth it for you).

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
The S6 has a lot of room and to me, just as fast as the day I bought mine.
Would recommend. The s/w updates are fine, no issues.
Yes, everyone would love weekly updates but let's be real.

loganweaponx007

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased a S6 lite and it's a great middle ground. I was going to purchase a S7 but was able to pick up the lite for $249. If you're coming from a older tablet the lite is a fantastic device. It is also receiving three years of OS updates.