Samsung Health and Strava

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Right now, only under armour apps sync their data.

I believe they are going to remove partner apps soon anyway, I don't know what that means for Strava, runtastic, endomondo, etc.

It may suck if you have all of your old data tied up in Strava, but Samsung health is really robust. You should be able to do anything Strava can. It does seem very iOS of them...

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've found it, but haven't been able to test it yet. It's under Samsung Health->Settings->Connected Services

I can't dump Strava, since that's what my running club uses to keep everyone connected. And I'm still planning to use a Garmin as my primary running watch, with the Galaxy Watch as my daily-driver smartwatch and step tracker. Ideally, I'll sync from Garmin to Strava, then from Strava to Samsung Health.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
It may suck if you have all of your old data tied up in Strava, but Samsung health is really robust. You should be able to do anything Strava can. It does seem very iOS of them...

Funny you mentioned iOS... I used an Apple Watch for nearly a year, and it's a fantastic smartwatch, and a terrible running watch. But Apple Health syncs with Strava (and a ton of other popular services) flawlessly.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
You are going to like running with this watch if you give it a chance. Spotify is buggy though, have to do very specific steps for it to work as intended

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
You are going to like running with this watch if you give it a chance. Spotify is buggy though, have to do very specific steps for it to work as intended

How do you start and stop activities... Is it controlled by touchscreen or the side buttons? I nearly smashed my Apple Watch in rage when I couldn't control its touchscreen with sweaty fingers after a particularly challenging race.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you start and stop activities... Is it controlled by touchscreen or the side buttons? I nearly smashed my Apple Watch in rage when I couldn't control its touchscreen with sweaty fingers after a particularly challenging race.

Hitting the top side button pauses and resumes activity. It's quite convenient. Turning the crown left goes to music. Turning it right shows alternate data. You can customize the data shown on the workout screen (cadence, split, HR, etc.)

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the Watch a few minutes ago... I'd previously ordered and cancelled it twice, but your advice sealed the deal for me. Thanks :cool:

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. I'd recommend using pre loaded music rather than spotify. Other than that, everything works as advertised. The BT headset pairing is better than it used to be too. You are going to like working out with it. Did you get the 46?
No, I ordered the 42. My Garmin FR645 is just about the right size. I compared it to the Gear Sport at Target (they didn't have the Galaxy Watch on display) and they're just about the same. I don't think I could stand anything bigger than what I'm already wearing, but I hope I don't regret it with respect to battery capacity.
I recommend this band for exercise. Keeps a good Hr reading without being uncomfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6338032
Thanks, it looks good! Is it breathable? I prefer bands like those on the Nike edition Apple Watch.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Cancel. Go to Best buy. Get 46mm. Thank me

Actually, don't. Get what you like best, no regrets. Funny how we obsess over stupid toys.
My wife loves hers and it looks so good. I still remember the says of the gear S and Gear s2 sport. If they could even get a GPS signal, it looked like I ran while having a seizure. And then it died. Even the "small" battery of the 42mm can't be crushed in a day.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I charge my watches while I'm showering before work or while I'm gathering my stuff in preparation for a race. I'm not worried about it dying during a run ;)

Amit_77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi, glad you got it to work for you. Before buying the Galaxy Watch, i wanted to make sure this actually worked with the S Health app on my phone to Strava app. Garmin Connect to Strava certainly works. But even after connecting and reconnecting several times, the data is not shared either way. Any tips or workarounds?

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, glad you got it to work for you. Before buying the Galaxy Watch, i wanted to make sure this actually worked with the S Health app on my phone to Strava app. Garmin Connect to Strava certainly works. But even after connecting and reconnecting several times, the data is not shared either way. Any tips or workarounds?

Open the health. App on your phone. Menu -> settings -> connected services -> strava.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Watch this morning, so I’ll have an opportunity to test its GPS and HR capabilities during my 5K this evening.

First impressions: outstanding build quality, very comfortable, tons of configuration options, gorgeous screen, charges waaaaay too slowly.