Durability feedback for the Z Flip needed.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering now that 5 months have passed, how you are finding the durability of the Z Flip? Is the screen holding up well? Any issues?

GMGCPA

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
The Z Flip is great...battery lasts me into a second day with moderate use...only issue is the screen is very delicate as mine has micro scratches that can only be seen with screen off with a flashlight and is a fingerprint smudge-fest...however I put an end to all that by installing a screen protector on it and now the screen looks gorgeous and like shiny glass...

mrluky60

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have one and it is great for the pocket which is the only reason to buy this phone. Works as good as any Samsung.
The Z Flip is great...battery lasts me into a second day with moderate use...only issue is the screen is very delicate as mine has micro scratches that can only be seen with screen off with a flashlight and is a fingerprint smudge-fest...however I put an end to all that by installing a screen protector on it and now the screen looks gorgeous and like shiny glass...
W

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't have one (I really want one though), but Mr. Mobile had his review unit and just got himself a 5G, and he hasn't noted any issues. He says he loves his.

deppi0

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Up to a few weeks ago I would have told you that as long as you are a little careful there are no issues with the Z Flip. I have had mine since the end of Feb and it's been perfect until.....one day I just opened it and it made a strange noise with a huge crack on the fold from side to side!
No idea how and why it happened but I guess it probably has to do with the weather were I was (very hot and very humid).
As I was traveling I called Samsung Z Flip service to see if I could get it repaired under warranty there but they told me it would take at least 1 to 2 weeks so I decided to wait until my return to the UK.
Sent the phone over to a Samsung repair and to my surprise they not only said that as it's physical damage it cannot be covered under warranty (the phone has NO other damage or scratches) and on top of it the cost would be £495!!! After various discussions first with the repair shop, then with Samsung UK directly, I was told that they don't believe their phone has a fault although this is an issue that has happened to quite a few other people before. They also refused to honour the low cost screen replacement guarantee which is supposed to be £95 without any explanation!
I am now going to take it into a Samsung shop directly and see if they have the courage to say the same thing in front of all the other customers. I cannot let them get away with this as it is a fault that is recognised. Just google it and you will easily find stories of other people who had the same problem with the screen.

Unfortunately, if this is the approach of Samsung, I will NEVER buy a phone from them again.
I am sorry to say but beware of buying the Z Flip and probably the Fold too as they might have the same problem one day and will not be covered by Samsung!

20200905_002058.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Up to a few weeks ago I would have told you that as long as you are a little careful there are no issues with the Z Flip. I have had mine since the end of Feb and it's been perfect until.....one day I just opened it and it made a strange noise with a huge crack on the fold from side to side!
No idea how and why it happened but I guess it probably has to do with the weather were I was (very hot and very humid).
As I was traveling I called Samsung Z Flip service to see if I could get it repaired under warranty there but they told me it would take at least 1 to 2 weeks so I decided to wait until my return to the UK.
Sent the phone over to a Samsung repair and to my surprise they not only said that as it's physical damage it cannot be covered under warranty (the phone has NO other damage or scratches) and on top of it the cost would be £495!!! After various discussions first with the repair shop, then with Samsung UK directly, I was told that they don't believe their phone has a fault although this is an issue that has happened to quite a few other people before. They also refused to honour the low cost screen replacement guarantee which is supposed to be £95 without any explanation!
I am now going to take it into a Samsung shop directly and see if they have the courage to say the same thing in front of all the other customers. I cannot let them get away with this as it is a fault that is recognised. Just google it and you will easily find stories of other people who had the same problem with the screen.

Unfortunately, if this is the approach of Samsung, I will NEVER buy a phone from them again.
I am sorry to say but beware of buying the Z Flip and probably the Fold too as they might have the same problem one day and will not be covered by Samsung!

View attachment 325897
I'd be upset also, I love all tech stuff, but it's still to early for me to purchase the fold or Z flip and go through this, I'll wait maybe 3 to 5 years down the road.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep I wouldn't be buying any folding screen phones right now..... too early and too expensive :O