Z flip durability with a good use

Robert2711

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Im buying a new phone and im deciding between the s23 ultra and z flip 5, I know that the s23 ultra has better camera and a bigger screen, but I don't really like the idea of the size of the phone and to be honest the idea and concept of the z flip series is something I want to try, but the only thing im concerned about is the durability of the phone, I am aware that the z flip 5 is a bit more delicate than other phones, that the protective glass that comes from the fabric needs to be changed but, with a good care and good use of the phone, how long can a z flip last? because im not sure that the phone would last a bit more than 1 year or two, so if anyone got a z flip series phone, I would love to have some feedback about the durability of it with the pass of time. Thank you :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC
Would you like me to put this in the z flip 5 forums?

Foldable devices you have to be a little more careful than regular phones , I had the flip 4 and thought it was pretty good but not going to get the battery Life of the s23u or Spen if your into that and even camera quality, I have the s23u and Fold 5 at the moment .

Reactions: Robert2711

Robert2711

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC
Would you like me to put this in the z flip 5 forums?

Foldable devices you have to be a little more careful than regular phones , I had the flip 4 and thought it was pretty good but not going to get the battery Life of the s23u or Spen if your into that and even camera quality, I have the s23u and Fold 5 at the moment .
i will put it there, thanks

Reactions: mustang7757

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I never keep my phones long enough to tell you about durability but I will say that if you buy the flip phone you could definitely try for a year and a second one as well probably will be okay maybe get a little peeling on the pre-installed screen protector which I've seen some people report.. Samsung always seems to have good trade-in values which can make it easy if you buy through them to upgrade and still get a nice return on the phone you've been using..

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I never keep my phones long enough to tell you about durability but I will say that if you buy the flip phone you could definitely try for a year and a second one as well probably will be okay maybe get a little peeling on the pre-installed screen protector which I've seen some people report.. Samsung always seems to have good trade-in values which can make it easy if you buy through them to upgrade and still get a nice return on the phone you've been using..
The good trade-ins only apply if the OP is in the US.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Im buying a new phone and im deciding between the s23 ultra and z flip 5, I know that the s23 ultra has better camera and a bigger screen, but I don't really like the idea of the size of the phone and to be honest the idea and concept of the z flip series is something I want to try, but the only thing im concerned about is the durability of the phone, I am aware that the z flip 5 is a bit more delicate than other phones, that the protective glass that comes from the fabric needs to be changed but, with a good care and good use of the phone, how long can a z flip last? because im not sure that the phone would last a bit more than 1 year or two, so if anyone got a z flip series phone, I would love to have some feedback about the durability of it with the pass of time. Thank you :D
The screens seem to last a long time if you treat them with a little tlc... overall they are very well made phones. The only real issue seems to be that they need the plastic film screen protector replaced more frequently than a traditional phone. But the upside is it's not really any different than replacing a film protector on any other phone.

I have no worries about mine going the distance 👍

I would be more concerned about battery life if you're a heavy phone user like Mustang mentioned 😉

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
In terms of building quality of the folda and flips, Samsung nailed the secret sauce. They've increased the build qualities over there. Generations that I think samsung compared to other flips and fold is really best. Not to mention very durable.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Flip 3 and had it for 2 years. I had no intentions of getting a new phone until Samsung made it ridiculous choice not to trade it in for a 5. The 3 did need a screen protector replacement but otherwise no problems.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Wait for the flip 6, I think Samsung is going to improve the function of the outer screen. I used the Moto RAZR+ SINCE LAUNCH AND WENT BACK TO A SAMSUNG ZF4 due to much better build quality. However I really enjoyed the ability of the outer screen to use and view all of the apps I use.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the Flip 3, 4, and now 5. No problems with any of them. And, I have never changed the pre-installed screen protector on any of them. That said, I am not a real heavy user (medium, I would say) and I have always treated all of my mobile phones, going back to my very first Motorola Startac, with care,

Reactions: AndroidFanboy8

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I had the Flip 3, 4, and now 5. No problems with any of them. And, I have never changed the pre-installed screen protector on any of them. That said, I am not a real heavy user (medium, I would say) and I have always treated all of my mobile phones, going back to my very first Motorola Startac, with care,
Same but just once, once only dropped the ZFLIP4 on hinge. Destroyed inner screen and wouldn't fold shut ONLY after 3 months use. I screamed not because I dropped the phone but that I just wrecked an 1800$ flip phone. That never happens to me!