Oops. Fake glass!!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Here's the durability test courtesy of JerryRig Everything. And it ain't no glass screen....

https://youtu.be/bbAkY-Www40
Why do you think I hate foldable devices... As it is our smartphones don't last enough and the last thing we need is this BS. I'm pretty sure that if electronics companies that used to exist back when Yugoslavia was a thing still existed, especially Serbian-owned Ei Niš, they would have made Samsung & Apple bankrupt a long time ago. For example, TV sets made by said Serbian company lasted several decades with little to no repai (their first TV still works like new). If Ei still existed and got into making cell phones, they would be fast and usable for 5 years at least, and they would be durable, have removable batteries and have hardware that lasted for 30+ years. Guess my dreams of immortal phones are being shattered in a worse manner every time some new crappy foldable device comes out or media bashes removable batteries. I want consumer tech to last like professional tech once again, just like 30-40 years ago instead of everything feeling like something that has a limited life.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Why do you think I hate foldable devices... As it is our smartphones don't last enough and the last thing we need is this BS. I'm pretty sure that if electronics companies that used to exist back when Yugoslavia was a thing still existed, especially Serbian-owned Ei Niš, they would have made Samsung & Apple bankrupt a long time ago. For example, TV sets made by said Serbian company lasted several decades with little to no repai (their first TV still works like new). If Ei still existed and got into making cell phones, they would be fast and usable for 5 years at least, and they would be durable, have removable batteries and have hardware that lasted for 30+ years. Guess my dreams of immortal phones are being shattered in a worse manner every time some new crappy foldable device comes out or media bashes removable batteries. I want consumer tech to last like professional tech once again, just like 30-40 years ago instead of everything feeling like something that has a limited life.

I still use my 2012 Note 10 and 2013 Note 3, I've yet to have a phone or tablet fail. Even most new phones it isn't that hard to replace the battery.

Technology rapidly changes, that is why we buy new, it usually isn't because it stopped working.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Well but this non-removable battery crap, 2 years of updates and screen burn-in are complete and utter planned obsolescence. Technology should be built to perform well for 5 years at least, last decades without failing. That way I never forced to upgrade, and I can pick a time to upgrade be that 1 year, 3 years, 10 years or whatever. And even after I upgrade I want the device to be able to run when I wanna use it for nostalgic stuff, etc... I don't like tech being made disposable. Another viewpoint I have is that it is utter disrespect to hardware engineers to make devices disposable and/or hard to repair. I mean just designing a basic logic circuit is a pain in the neck that takes time (personal experience from EE homework), and it is on you to imagine how hard engineers work to make a multi-billion transistor SoC.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Well but this non-removable battery crap, 2 years of updates and screen burn-in are complete and utter planned obsolescence. Technology should be built to perform well for 5 years at least, last decades without failing. That way I never forced to upgrade, and I can pick a time to upgrade be that 1 year, 3 years, 10 years or whatever. And even after I upgrade I want the device to be able to run when I wanna use it for nostalgic stuff, etc... I don't like tech being made disposable. Another viewpoint I have is that it is utter disrespect to hardware engineers to make devices disposable and/or hard to repair. I mean just designing a basic logic circuit is a pain in the neck that takes time (personal experience from EE homework), and it is on you to imagine how hard engineers work to make a multi-billion transistor SoC.

You want updates, but old hardware can't run new software features after a few years. Theoretically you can use a phone for 5 years. I know a couple people that are using 5 yr old phones. Granted their security is at risk b/c they don't receive security updates anymore, but that's their choice. Heck I have a feature phone that's 15 years old that technically still works. Technology just moves too fast to keep using certain types of devices for 10+ years though.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
You want updates, but old hardware can't run new software features after a few years. Theoretically you can use a phone for 5 years. I know a couple people that are using 5 yr old phones. Granted their security is at risk b/c they don't receive security updates anymore, but that's their choice. Heck I have a feature phone that's 15 years old that technically still works. Technology just moves too fast to keep using certain types of devices for 10+ years though.
<exits chat>

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is where Apple shines everyone gets the updates on time and beta is available to everyone. I use both but prefer my Note 10+ over my iPhone 11.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is where Apple shines everyone gets the updates on time and beta is available to everyone. I use both but prefer my Note 10+ over my iPhone 11.

Android betas are open to everyone as well. Then you get betas OTA..no need to hook up to a computer to restore back to stock.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Aw man, seeing him even fold the phone at the beginning gives me the heebie jeebies! That's definitely not glass. It looks like it's just a film, or really soft plastic.

Very sad, especially for the price tag on that "feature phone."

SwitchBoardDj

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site
Its glass ...other tech sites has responded and clarified it. BUT I guess it uses plastic too. No big deal...in my opinion. That's why we all have options.

I don't think people is going to go around doing these stress test inbtheir brand new phones. People need to stop overreacting.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Its glass ...other tech sites has responded and clarified it. BUT I guess it uses plastic too. No big deal...in my opinion. That's why we all have options.

I don't think people is going to go around doing these stress test inbtheir brand new phones. People need to stop overreacting.

For sure - people normally don't take pocket knives to their phones - but if a phone screen is going to be so easily snagged with even a fingernail, then it will not get my vote/purchase. Plus, for that kind of a price tag, I'd expect the glass to not be that fragile.

But of course, there will be many who will want to buy it and will be careful with it! It's a very cool concept.

Foldable phones do look kind of cool; however I will wait a few years to see how composition/manufacturing will be improved before I purchase one.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Can’t find the article now to link it but saw this morning either CNET or the Verge showed a Z flip they had been using for a week that was tearing at the fold. They swear it was not abused at all. Not a good sign but maybe a fluke as well. If I find it I’ll edit this post with a link. Maybe someone else saw it?

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Can’t find the article now to link it but saw this morning either CNET or the Verge showed a Z flip they had been using for a week that was tearing at the fold. They swear it was not abused at all. Not a good sign but maybe a fluke as well. If I find it I’ll edit this post with a link. Maybe someone else saw it?

Saw an article on CNET today that referenced the Motorola Razr tearing but not the Samsung Z.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I have yet to see that but yes, if you see the link or find it please post it!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a 100% glass layer to the screen; it's just not the top layer. The top layer is essentially a plastic which, as evidenced by Zach's test, it just as subject to wear as any other plastic touchscreen.

My guess is that depositing an ultra-thin plastic layer on top of the ultra-thin glass layer is what enabled them to provide (from what I've heard) is a touch sensation much closer to glass (due to higher rigidity) than to plastic.

While not an outright lie, it is substantively misleading. If a fuel station offered to fill the tank of a performance vehicle using 93 octane premium fuel and then filled it from a line that blended 93 and 87 octane from separate feeds. The consumer is betrayed in that their decision to purchase is potentially substantially impacted by the expectation of tangibles delivered, and there is an absolutely tangible difference to the scratch resistance of, and the experience of using Samsung's "glass" screen and literally every other glass screen phone produced in the last 10 years.

Horribly deceptive, and I have to wonder whether it would be actionable (though I wouldn't expect it to be litigated) under FTC's TIA regulations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95