Using Gear S with Gear Circle and Bluetooth 3.0

automania

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
So, In my ultimate pursuit for the perfect road warrior environment with technology, I thought I would share my experience trying different bluetooth headsets with the Gear S.

My Goal: To drive down the road listening to streamed music from my phone which is tucked in my pocket when suddenly I get a call. I look whose calling on my wrist and answer by swiping the gear S. I then proceed with a conversation on my bluetooth headphone, hangup and go back to listening to streamed music.

The reality: I tried several different headsets from, bose and plantronics. I could answer the phone with the headset paired to the phone, but then it would disconnect from the watch. I could answer the phone with the headset paired to the watch, but the bluetooth option was grayed out. I could pair the watch to the headset and when the phone was disconnected from the watch, talk through the watch to the headset. But I COULD NOT, answer a call from the watch with the headset connected to both the phone and watch simultaneously.

I called Samsung. They first time the guy was an *****. He insisted that I would have to UNPAIR the phone from the watch each time I wanted to connect to the headset. I explained that he meant disconnect not unpair - but he insisted he knew more about bluetooth then i did and the only solution was to unpair and re-pair the devices each time. Disconnecting from my paired device list would not work. sigh...

THEN, I ran across the new gear circle bluetooth 3.0 headset. Hey, this was looking better. I called Samsung again and got to a level 3 tech who explained that what I wanted to do was desirable, but could not be done. Since both devices were Gear and used the Gear software, only one gear at a time could be connected to the phone. I would have to connect and disconnect through the gear manager and use 1 device at a time. It was a software thing.

By this time the meglomanic had kicked in on me and I went down to the local T Mobile store to see if I could purchase a Gear Circle and try this out myself. It took less than a minute to pair the circle to my phone. I called my number from another phone. The watch lit up and told me a call was coming in. I swiped to answer and low and behold the bluetooth headset icon showed up as an option and immediately transferred the call to my headset. I hang up and went right back to listening to streamed music from the phone. I called again. This time it remembered and when I swiped from the watch, it went right to the headset.

This thing works!!!

It goes to show you that when you are a company that has a marketing plan of throwing technology Sh*t at the wall , sooner or later some guy's dream of working efficiently will come true and stick to the wall. Albeit, no thanks to Samsung support who doesn't know what it's got to work with. But then again, can you blame them? There are so many new introductions coming out of the company, who has time to actually think about solutions to show the marketplace why their product solves a problem. Oh yeah, marketing 101 - solve a problem. Guess someone dozed through that class at Samsung.

Jim Buono

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
So, In my ultimate pursuit for the perfect road warrior environment with technology, I thought I would share my experience trying different bluetooth headsets with the Gear S.

My Goal: To drive down the road listening to streamed music from my phone which is tucked in my pocket when suddenly I get a call. I look whose calling on my wrist and answer by swiping the gear S. I then proceed with a conversation on my bluetooth headphone, hangup and go back to listening to streamed music.

The reality: I tried several different headsets from, bose and plantronics. I could answer the phone with the headset paired to the phone, but then it would disconnect from the watch. I could answer the phone with the headset paired to the watch, but the bluetooth option was grayed out. I could pair the watch to the headset and when the phone was disconnected from the watch, talk through the watch to the headset. But I COULD NOT, answer a call from the watch with the headset connected to both the phone and watch simultaneously.

I called Samsung. They first time the guy was an *****. He insisted that I would have to UNPAIR the phone from the watch each time I wanted to connect to the headset. I explained that he meant disconnect not unpair - but he insisted he knew more about bluetooth then i did and the only solution was to unpair and re-pair the devices each time. Disconnecting from my paired device list would not work. sigh...

THEN, I ran across the new gear circle bluetooth 3.0 headset. Hey, this was looking better. I called Samsung again and got to a level 3 tech who explained that what I wanted to do was desirable, but could not be done. Since both devices were Gear and used the Gear software, only one gear at a time could be connected to the phone. I would have to connect and disconnect through the gear manager and use 1 device at a time. It was a software thing.

By this time the meglomanic had kicked in on me and I went down to the local T Mobile store to see if I could purchase a Gear Circle and try this out myself. It took less than a minute to pair the circle to my phone. I called my number from another phone. The watch lit up and told me a call was coming in. I swiped to answer and low and behold the bluetooth headset icon showed up as an option and immediately transferred the call to my headset. I hang up and went right back to listening to streamed music from the phone. I called again. This time it remembered and when I swiped from the watch, it went right to the headset.

This thing works!!!

It goes to show you that when you are a company that has a marketing plan of throwing technology Sh*t at the wall , sooner or later some guy's dream of working efficiently will come true and stick to the wall. Albeit, no thanks to Samsung support who doesn't know what it's got to work with. But then again, can you blame them? There are so many new introductions coming out of the company, who has time to actually think about solutions to show the marketplace why their product solves a problem. Oh yeah, marketing 101 - solve a problem. Guess someone dozed through that class at Samsung.

I really liked the way the Gear Circle integrated with the phone and Gear S. I didn't like the way the earpiece fell out with just a little head movement. Tried the plastic retainer but didn't help enough to make it usable when walking. Back to the LG Tone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87