First Smart Watch

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Gear S2 today, which is my first Smart Watch. I have a couple of questions..

First, is the classic worth the extra $50? I don't mind the appearance of the standard at all, isn't that the only difference? Amazon has the standard for $249 and the classic for $299 and most big box stores are price matching it, so I got the Gear S2 price matched for $249 at Best Buy. However, I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse, wondering if I should've spent the extra $50 and purchased the classic for $300.

Second, what are good habits for keeping the watch running smoothly and preserving the battery on the watch and phone? Such as remote connection vs Bluetooth, etc?

Any other tips or tricks, or app recommendations, would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the whole idea of using a smart watch as of a few hours ago, but I seem to have the basics down.

tdobynes

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as the price and model, that's ultimately up to you, if u have the extra $50, why not? I use a Moto 360 myself and I've loved it since the day I got it. I pull my phone out much less now and its fun to answers peoples questions about it, it makes you feel like you;re ahead of the technological curve. You're gonna love it. I would give it a full charge and just see how long it last through the day for the first couple of days to get a good reading for yourself in each setting ( remote vs bluetooth).

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Apart from how the two models look, the main difference is that the Classic will accept any 20mm watch band. With the Sport model, you're limited because of the attachment clips on the band.

We've heard rumors of Samsung coming out with adaptors which would allow that watch to accept any 20mm band, but they haven't been seen in the wild, as far as I know.

xisruno

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
The classic looks more like a nice time piece rather then a smart watch.
Both are the same unless you get the 3G/4G version.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as the price and model, that's ultimately up to you, if u have the extra $50, why not? I use a Moto 360 myself and I've loved it since the day I got it. I pull my phone out much less now and its fun to answers peoples questions about it, it makes you feel like you;re ahead of the technological curve. You're gonna love it. I would give it a full charge and just see how long it last through the day for the first couple of days to get a good reading for yourself in each setting ( remote vs bluetooth).
I have the 1st gen Moto 360 . I was about to get the 2nd gen but the original started malfunctioning after 15 months. So I bought the S2 because I refuse to buy another Motorola product. At least for the time being.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're already having the remorse you may want to go back and try on the classic. Just note your last return date so you don't miss that window. If you like the classic better it's worth the $50 since you'll use the watch every day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i got the Classic, and I work in a shirt and tie environment. I got a compliment from a stranger one day that said "nice watch" then when I showed them it was a smartwatch their mind was blown. They thought it was just a nice watch.

As far as battery life, it's a beast compared to Android Wear. I charge it every night just because it is so simply to put it on the charger, but I rarely if ever am below 50% after wearing it all day from 6am to 11pm

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the input, everyone. I ended up going with the Classic and I'm glad I did. I also work in a shirt and tie environment with daily client meetings, so I feel like the Classic blends in much more nicely.

I also didn't like the fact that about 1 out of every 4 reviews on Amazon say that the strap on the standard gear S2 broke after a few months.

For the price range, this is as good as it gets, IMO. I guess now I'll see if I regret not buying a better supported Android Wear watch.. Lol, gotta love Samsung's DOA software support.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
well according to Sammobile, Samsung is bragging about doubling the apps since launch, so maybe they won't bail on the S2

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
well according to Sammobile, Samsung is bragging about doubling the apps since launch, so maybe they won't bail on the S2
Let's hope not. I've had every Galaxy S and Note phone since the Vibrant and they bail on every one--I just traded in my Note 5 for the S7 Edge. However, I don't really complain, because I still like their products the best. It would just be nice to have good software support.