New Gear S2 owner - simple question

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi!
I just got a Gear S2. I was using a Fit2, but decided to go with the full blown Smart Watch thing.

I'm a little confused about one thing and I'm sure the experience here can help. This is more for clarification. I've added my watch to my Verizon account (surprised to see it was only $5 a month). I currently am also connected to my phone via Bluetooth. I know BlueTooth tends to drag down the battery on my phone. So I'm assuming if I disconnect Bluetooth, I won't get the features, such as message notification, fitness tracker synching of S-Health, etc, right? I know that's a stupid question, but it's not going to sync that info/features through WiFi or through the cellular network, or anything of that nature, is it?

Yeah, I know..."duh"...but hey...this is a first for me. Just making sure there's nothing I'm missing.

Thanks!

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the BT connection at all. It results in such a small percentage of battery use over the course of a day, that unless you're pushing your battery by mid day, you shouldn't have to change your usage habits at all.

The flip side of this, is that using the cell connection in the watch, will run it down way quicker than leaving bt connected. And it should still sync the other data, but it will use the cell data on the watch, as well as your cell/wifi data on your phone (they communicate via the samsung account setup on both).

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Agee, only time I ever noticed BT usage was when there is a problem and the connected Bluetooth device is constantly connecting and disconnecting always searching for a connection. I would be surprised if you had 2% usage connecting your gear to your phone all day.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you! I appreciate the info.

I realized I didn't specify why I was concerned about BT usage. I have been using a Gear Fit 2 for the last month or so. I decided I wanted the entire smart watch set of features, so I just upgraded to a Gear S2. When I started using my Fit2, I noticed a fairly significant increase in battery depletion on my Note 5. I usually can make it all day, but there are times where it gets close! I usually make sure if I'm in an position to plug in my phone, I do so.

I guess I was trying to see if there was a way to minimize that.

Again...I appreciate the help!