Sleep tracking through SHealth

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes I find SHealths way of displaying sleep very antiquated compared to what Fitbit have got on their platform. I would have actually thought Samsung might have directed some of their medical knowledge in this area to the implementation.

BlackSheriff84

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Well to start with, you've displayed 2 different nights. How can we make a honest comparison of data? Second, again, there may be different metrics used for sleep tracking between SH and FB. Chevy vs Ford. They both are cars and provide transportation, but one will get better gas mileage than the other one.

Is it possible they are stating the same info, but just using different words? Maybe REM or Deep = Motionless? Restless = Awake?

I think the key is to use the results as a "guide" and not an exact science.

Just for you buddy and everyone else who is intrested here's a same day comparison.

*As you can see my fitbit (FitnessSyncer) data is extremely accurate capturing me dozing in and out of sleep before I decided to go to bed, my toilet wake ups at 3:30 and *and my alarm snoozes from 6am and my REM, Light & deep sleep transitions.

Where as my Gear S3 tells me I fell asleep at 12.30am and woke up at 7:30 and at some point I was motionless and some points I wasn't... thanks Samsung, I don't need a watch to tell me that!

Attachments

• 622.jpg
    622.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Epwhamilton

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
in Settings > Connected Services. I had to look for ages there... thought I'd imagined the whole thing! Haven't tried it since my first post, but I believe it is only Sleep data that it tracks unfortunately.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should get a cheap fitbit for sleep tracking, I can use it for beach volleyball too as I don't like to wear the gear and get it all sandy.

I assume I can upload the data to my s-health from the fit bit...NO?

Triciaburch

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
Did anyone figure out how to track deep sleep and REM sleep with the Samsung Gear S3? I do this on my Fitbit and would also like to track it if I get the Samsung S3. I've been borrowing my husband's Fitbit for the last week and need to give it back to him and I want to buy the S3 and continue tracking. I've discovered that my deep sleep is very short and I am experimenting with ways to increase it.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone figure out how to track deep sleep and REM sleep with the Samsung Gear S3? I do this on my Fitbit and would also like to track it if I get the Samsung S3. I've been borrowing my husband's Fitbit for the last week and need to give it back to him and I want to buy the S3 and continue tracking. I've discovered that my deep sleep is very short and I am experimenting with ways to increase it.

Samsung Health reports the sleep info from the Gear S3 in a few categories: Restless, Light, and Motionless.

I looked at the Fitbit info and the REM information is an estimate based on the info that the Fitbit collects. This makes sense since true REM information can only be collected while collecting data from your eye movements. So it isn't that the Fitbit is collecting different data than the Gear S3, it is only that the Fitbit app performs some type of analysis and labels that data as REM data.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My theory is, both watches are tracking the same metrics, but just using different words. Example, Fitbit states REM whereas SH states Motionless.

Kevin Coleman1

Aug 3, 2018
Visit site

REM sleep is when you dream. Your brain is as busy in this stage as when you are awake. REM is characterized by rapid eye movement, fast breathing and, in most people a kind of paralysis, but there is often some slight movement like twitching, as we dream. Our brain waves change as we cycle through the 5 stages of sleep (4 non-rem, 1 rem). Reading those waves would be the only TRUE way to track REM. No watch can do that...yet. ;)