The hero gets froyo and not the moment?

steve19137

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
So I doing some research, because I'm trying to choose between the htc hero and the moment. I'm posting this here becuase I am leaning more to the moment. Anyway, I was under the impression that the moment had equal/better specs than the hero. I also know that the hero has a (mostly) fully functional 2.2 rom. I know that there is an alpha build of froyo for the moment, but noone has made good of that and made a full rom. Is this because there is less interest in the moment, or because it's reaching it's EOL later this month, or is there another reason?

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
In my research mostly from cnet...I've read that the phone's processor determines of it will have 2.2 froyo. If the moment isn't getting froyo then the hero shouldn't because the moment has a 800 mhz processor where as the htc hero came out before the vzw droid eris and those phones have a processor that's less then 800 mhz. I've read on cnet only "high end" android phones such as moto droid and htc epic and samsung galaxy and the samsung intercept will get 2.2 froyo basedon tzheir processors.

pastafarian

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
There are several roms with the 2.2 jit and it's only a matter of time before a full 2.2 rom is made. The hero has an advantage in that htc phones have a much larger dev community. They also share common drivers across platforms that make it easier to port from one device to another. For the moment, I guess things will pop once Samsung releases 2.2 code for the Intercept. The jit is the main part of 2.2 that interests me anyway. It's doubtful that flash will work well with this hardware and personally, I have no need for it on my phone.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

bartman79

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Intercept is not a premium device

Using Rev 0 and not A. Lower resolution screen. Not Amoled. Cheaper built materials.
This device is listed as a starter or mid range device. MOMENT IS A PREMIUM DEVICE.
The Intercept uses cheap plastic chrome and no camera flash. Have you tried it out? I have and there is a big difference in device materials, Intercept keyboard is very plasticy.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
According to cnet.com, the samsung intercept has a 1ghz processor...that means it will get the 2.2 froyo update. The processor is what determines the difference between "high end" and entry / med level android devices. Unless the official 2.2 froyo update criteria has changed then the hero should not be getting the official 2.2 froyo update unless the hero has a minimum of a 1ghz or higher processor. Since the hero came out before the droid eris...then the hero should not be getting the 2.2 froyo update as the eris was basically the hero repackaged for verizon wireless. Again,. This is based on my research on cnet.com before buying the samsung moment.

steve19137

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
im talking about custom roms. nothing official. ive recently joined the sdx forums because thats where i can get moment support. ive read that 2.2 for the moment will come when the intercept gets 2.2. simply because they are almost the same device internally. so, ya. its just a waiting game for us mere mortals who cant reach the status of "high developer"...

SF Steven

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
A couple of things...

1. the Intercept has an 800mhz processor (NOT 1ghz)
2. many of the specs on the Intercept are lower-end than the Moment; the screen is lower resolution, the radio is slower, etc.
3. the Moment and the Hero aren't officially supported because they were both EOL'd (end-of-lifed) to make way for new models
4. every model has to be tested with new versions of Android; since the Moment and Hero are already on their way out, there's no reason for Sprint to devote any resources to upgrading them to 2.2
5. the reason that the Hero has more custom ROMS available (including 2.2, I believe) is because there's a larger developer base that's working on the HTC platform...as I understand it, a hack that works on one HTC model can be applied to many -if not all- of the other HTC models. the only solution to this is for more people to jump on the Samsung development bandwagon. of course, I say this as a Moment owner that certainly enjoys the fruits of everyone else's labors on the ROM front, but also has no clue how to do anything myself.

Hope that helps.

SF Steven

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
PS I seem to remember reading somewhere that -according to Google- almost every phone since the G1 (on T-Mobile) is technically capable of running 2.2 (Froyo) so I think it has less to do with the processor speed than it does with the willingness of the carrier to develop/test/deploy the updates.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38