GPS accuracy (or lack thereof)

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I have had very little success in using the Moment's GPS. I am not able to get and/or maintain a good position lock either with Google Maps or Sprint Navigation, and my attempts at geotagging photos have been very spotty. Out of all the photos I've taken, only one was tagged with the more-or-less correct location. All others are either show up as either "unknown location" or some totally off-the-wall location (like some island in the South Pacific or something).

Is anybody else having GPS trouble with the Moment? Is it a known problem? Or do I have a defective unit?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Try it with GPS on, and wireless location off. Wifi location ID is still pretty buggy in a lot of places.

If that doesn't help, download an app that gives you the GPS data. Make sure it sees at least 3 satellites, and check the longitude and latitude it gives you in a Google maps search and see if it's accurate. Could be a hardware issue.

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Try it with GPS on, and wireless location off. Wifi location ID is still pretty buggy in a lot of places.

If that doesn't help, download an app that gives you the GPS data. Make sure it sees at least 3 satellites, and check the longitude and latitude it gives you in a Google maps search and see if it's accurate. Could be a hardware issue.

Any suggestions of an app that will show me the raw GPS data?

tallbruva

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Because of the nerd in me, I've been using Tricorder. It's free, shows GPS positioning and includes other cool data like a decibel meter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana