Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

jhisey

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Have they completed the transaction? I don't know if you tried this but I hold it sometimes to the reader and it works. Can u video it so we can see bc it should work. Go find a McDonald's and try it order some fries for me. If it doesn't work there then you might be holding it incorrectly.

Yes, it was waiting for my card to be swiped. Samsung says it needs to be within 5cm of the reader so I'm assuming that's 5cm from the actual magnetic head in the reader? Where exactly on my S6 is the magnetic field being generated? Top? Middle?

At least now I have a valid excuse for the wife on why I was at McDonalds! Will give it a shot :)

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it was waiting for my card to be swiped. Samsung says it needs to be within 5cm of the reader so I'm assuming that's 5cm from the actual magnetic head in the reader? Where exactly on my S6 is the magnetic field being generated? Top? Middle?

At least now I have a valid excuse for the wife on why I was at McDonalds! Will give it a shot :)

I have where the camera lens is at facing towards where the CC reader begins maybe a tincy bit higher say around where "Samsung" is written on the back of the phone to the most thickest part of CC reader. If that doesn't work then I dunno. I know u checked out videos and followed them exactly.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well it looks like things are going backwards for SamsungPay. Now cards that have a chip in them if emulated with SamsungPay the terminal says, please insert smart chip card. Ran in to this at WalMart yesterday. New software to force use of the smart chip if available. Has to do with fraud liabilty. As of October, if a merchant accepts a card swipe transaction, the fraud liability is on the merchant, not the bank. The bank only takes liability for smart chip read transactions. The whole card swipe infrastructure is now slated to disappear like it has in most of europe. So much for SamsungPay. Too little too late.

Now we again wait for merchants to accept NFC payments....back where we were 2 years ago. Bah, just not worth the trouble if it does not work most of the time.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well it looks like things are going backwards for SamsungPay. Now cards that have a chip in them if emulated with SamsungPay the terminal says, please insert smart chip card. Ran in to this at WalMart yesterday. New software to force use of the smart chip if available. Has to do with fraud liabilty. As of October, if a merchant accepts a card swipe transaction, the fraud liability is on the merchant, not the bank. The bank only takes liability for smart chip read transactions. The whole card swipe infrastructure is now slated to disappear like it has in most of europe. So much for SamsungPay. Too little too late.

Now we again wait for merchants to accept NFC payments....back where we were 2 years ago. Bah, just not worth the trouble if it does not work most of the time.

When? I just used me chip card with Samsung Pay at Walmart last night no problem and I know their chip reader is active bc I had to use it before instead of inserting my card. I didn't have to insert my card when using Samsung Pay.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just used my Amex with a chip and I said card error. Card with the chip have to be inserted into the card reader. Samsung will have to address this soon or they will be obsolete

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I just used my Amex with a chip and I said card error. Card with the chip have to be inserted into the card reader. Samsung will have to address this soon or they will be obsolete

depends on the retailer. some can press a key and bypass the chip so you can scan the old fashion way :) All chip cards are supposed to work either way.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So far the only place mine has failed is the cafeteria at work, where the strip is attached to the cashier's POS system. I've moved the phone up and down the entire swipe area, but it doesn't register. It worked everywhere else so far.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay failed for me at Target (which had the chip reader). I then inserted my physical Amex card in the reader to finish the transaction. I'll have to try again with Samsung Pay at Target to see if it was just a glitch.

Ok, I tried Samsung Pay again at Target using the same Amex card (with chip) that I registered with Samsung. When I first tried to initiate the card swipe, I got an error message on the credit card terminal, but I just waited and moved my S6 phone around a little bit and the transaction went through. So, even though the Target card reader has a chip-reader and my Amex card has a chip, I didn't need to insert my Amex card into the reader for it to finish the transaction.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Sweet tomatoes. It didn't work.

It worked at sports authority.
It worked at burger king but I had to hand the phone to the cashier and she had to try repeatedly to get it to work.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was so excited waiting for Samsung Pay and now that I have it, I haven't had any luck. I've tried at Lowe's, Publix, Bath and Body Works, and Chick-fil-a. They all recognized some sort of MST but they all gave some kind of error and would not work. I've only tried American Express cards so far because all my Visa/MC are Chase, which isn't supported yet.

That's odd... I've payed at Lowe's and Chick-fil-a without issues (with both a Citi card and an American Express).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used that in Starbuck's similar readers (yes, I gave the phone to the cashier once I activated Pay Mode, and she/he just placed it on top with a look that said 'I just told you we don't support phone payments' and when it does go through they keep looking at the phone and turning it around to see where the magic is haha).