Where Samsung Pay didn't work for you.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I thought this day may never come - I finally got Samsung Pay to work at a gas station pump using the famous "driver's license trick"! The place was a BJs Wholesale Club gas station that I had tried previously and had no joy. Today, I made a point of starting the transmission of the CC information before I stuck the driver's license into the card reader slot and pulled it back. Maybe that was the difference?? After seeing it work, I wanted to high-five the person pumping gas across from me, but found some restraint :). Samsung Pay rocks!!!
That's great! Some pumps work some don't. I frequent the stations that do work. I love Samsung pay because if you forget your wallet you know there is places you can get gas, food, whatever using your phone. It is almost the perfect device.

anon(9811749)

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I thought this day may never come - I finally got Samsung Pay to work at a gas station pump using the famous "driver's license trick"! The place was a BJs Wholesale Club gas station that I had tried previously and had no joy. Today, I made a point of starting the transmission of the CC information before I stuck the driver's license into the card reader slot and pulled it back. Maybe that was the difference?? After seeing it work, I wanted to high-five the person pumping gas across from me, but found some restraint :). Samsung Pay rocks!!!

That's fantastic to hear. It's great isn't it? I don't feel so scared to use it at sketchy places anymore because of all of the security features!

Posted via the Android Central App

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Tried it numerous times at gas station didn't get it to work, I put my I'd in had the phone near it going slid out didn't take

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I posed this question before with no good reply. I can't be the only one!

I am using a PNC debit card in SP. It seems to work flawlessly when run as credit but gives an error everytime I have to enter a pin. The error happens after I enter the pin, when the receipt should print.

I want this to work badly and if it worked as credit everytime I would love it. I'm just nervous to use it with lines and such because of errors.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

I am using a PNC debit card in SP. It seems to work flawlessly when run as credit but gives an error everytime I have to enter a pin. The error happens after I enter the pin, when the receipt should print.

I want this to work badly and if it worked as credit everytime I would love it. I'm just nervous to use it with lines and such because of errors.

K few things what's your error say, and is this always for debit? Have u used it b4 the cashier selects credit or debit? Have u tried contacting your bank also have u deleted and readded your card? This is very strange and most importantly u r using the correct pin right your orginally orginal debit pin.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Also I forgot delete cache in samsung pay framework of all of these fail contact
SamsungPay support

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you are entering your old physical card pin and not your Samsung pay pin.

Last edited:

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
K few things what's your error say, and is this always for debit? Have u used it b4 the cashier selects credit or debit? Have u tried contacting your bank also have u deleted and readded your card? This is very strange and most importantly u r using the correct pin right your orginally orginal debit pin.

I have tried most of these things I believe. I will try them again. There was an update. It's only as debit. Most times I'll tell the cashier credit because of this and I'll scan it then it'll ask for a pin. Once it asks for a pin I start reaching for my card. I want this to work badly. Thanks.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Like Scott and I said are u sure you using your pin that you made for the card when you first got your debit card and not one that you setup for SamsungPay

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I used it today at Papa Murphys pizza, the cashier said the amount I said you ready for my card? I held the phone up he said debit or credit i said either, the reader was connected to his terminal he said politely it wouldnt work here people have tried, I said u sure and just went ahead and held my phone over the reader and it went. He said your the 1st person I said yea he asked what bank I told him my bank. He then said he has the 6edge said he was going to try it he didn't think it truly worked. Until I showed him how easy it was.

Jpeezy33

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I used it today at Papa Murphys pizza, the cashier said the amount I said you ready for my card? I held the phone up he said debit or credit i said either, the reader was connected to his terminal he said politely it wouldnt work here people have tried, I said u sure and just went ahead and held my phone over the reader and it went. He said your the 1st person I said yea he asked what bank I told him my bank. He then said he has the 6edge said he was going to try it he didn't think it truly worked. Until I showed him how easy it was.

The reason I posted this is bc I wanted to show how I go about using my phone somewhere sometimes for the most part how I make it nonchalant and proceed on with it.

toddharr

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Subway sandwich place on Harbor Blvd in Fullerton CA, because (it turned out) my linked card is Amex and their the first Subway I ever ate at the does not take the card.

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I unistalled the app, reinstalled, readded my card. I tried it at Walmart today. 'Swiped' it and entered the correct pin while the cashier was still ringing everything up. She hit the total button and it gave the error like usual. So disappointed.

SP seems to work everytime.. It beeps and takes all the info.. I use the physical card right afterwards and it works fine.

It must be something with PNC. Does anyone else have PNC??

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Walmart has NEVER given me problems. Debit or credit. What pin are you using? Please answer this question. Are you using the pin for your actual plastic debit card, the 4 digit number in Samsung pay (last 4 of your virtual number) or the pin to get into Samsung pay? You say correct pin but which one? Given I am using chase not pnc. If you are indeed using the pin from your actual plastic debit card then I would call pnc or Samsung pay support.

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Walmart has NEVER given me problems. Debit or credit. What pin are you using? Please answer this question. Are you using the pin for your actual plastic debit card, the 4 digit number in Samsung pay (last 4 of your virtual number) or the pin to get into Samsung pay? You say correct pin but which one? Given I am using chase not pnc. If you are indeed using the pin from your actual plastic debit card then I would call pnc or Samsung pay support.

I am using the PNC debit card pin. Matter of fact pins for the card and to get into SP are the same. There is no way I'm using the wrong pin.

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I wish I had a machine so I could sit here and troubleshoot. Run it as debit and credit. See the exact errors. It's just hard to troubleshoot when the clerk doesn't even know what it is, there's a line behind me, and I can't afford to keep buying things. Lol.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had a machine so I could sit here and troubleshoot. Run it as debit and credit. See the exact errors. It's just hard to troubleshoot when the clerk doesn't even know what it is, there's a line behind me, and I can't afford to keep buying things. Lol.
Thanks for the info. I can't speak to the PNC issue but have had 100% success at Walmart. Even use it to get cash back. But again I'm using chase. Might give the support number in Samsung pay for pnc debit card a call and see what they say. Might be a fraud hold or something like that. But if it works on credit I wouldn't think that was the case. Nor would it be a hardware issue. Does it work as debit anywhere? If not it has to be a card issue at the bank. That's about all I can offer, sorry. Maybe someone with PNC can offer help. You might also try a new thread with PNC debit help as the topic. It will get more views probably. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.

Jaysin13

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I can't speak to the PNC issue but have had 100% success at Walmart. Even use it to get cash back. But again I'm using chase. Might give the support number in Samsung pay for pnc debit card a call and see what they say. Might be a fraud hold or something like that. But if it works on credit I wouldn't think that was the case. Nor would it be a hardware issue. Does it work as debit anywhere? If not it has to be a card issue at the bank. That's about all I can offer, sorry. Maybe someone with PNC can offer help. You might also try a new thread with PNC debit help as the topic. It will get more views probably. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.

Thanks for trying. I don't think it's ever worked as debit. I will try calling samsung and pnc.

johntaves

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I am concluding that Samsung Pay is useless. I get card declined at many places. QFC, Target, Lowes, and others. It is clear that the card is being read and being rejected. Swiping the real card works of course. It works at many places, and it saved me when I left my wallet at home and went skiing. So, I am happy to have a backup to the real card, but I was hoping it would almost always work.

If I have to bring the real card as a backup, then what is the point? It is not difficult to pull a card out of my wallet. It is certainly slower to try it with the phone and then have to go to the card. Oh sure it is cool to have the cashier say "it won't work", then when it does they are amazed. However, that novelty wears off real quick when they tell you it won't work, and they turn out to be right when the card is declined.

The whole point of this exercise is to ditch my wallet. If there is no way to solve the declined problem, then Samsung Pay is a waste of time.

Does anyone know why the card is being declined? It could be the merchant's settings on what cards are accepted. Maybe it is Citi (my card) being unhappy with my usage pattern because it is a new number?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo